dev comment of the day topic

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: dev comment of the day topic

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:27 pm

Baba is kinda out of touch, he's the main reason I've come to hate the Tales series, so it hard to take him at his word. He doesn't even come to the US often I think he's coming for SDCC but he's going to skip out on NYCC

which is the one he wants to go to because of stuff like this (if you don't care to read New York State has 5 of the top 10 cities that spend the most on games and one of the biggest industries in the country that spends the most on games)

http://www.theesa.com/games-improving-w ... conomy.asp
http://venturebeat.com/2010/05/09/ameri ... deo-games/

@South Carmain: Yea but like I said above Baba isn't all there, I mean I could figure out why if I knew how most Europeans bought games, or if in fact Europeans as a whole had the same buying habits. In the US Urban areas buy from stores, in Rural they buy online, on the east coast people buy from Gamestop on the west Play n' trade so if the US has so many different areas that buy games in a bunch of different ways I'd imagine Europe which has a bunch of entirely different cultures might have very different delivery methods.

Still as an "American" and the biggest Tales...I guess "fan" on this board I really disagree. I don't think Europe likes RPGs or the Tales series as much as the US because in the 90s a ton of people (myself included) modded their consoles to buy ad play games like Terranigma(which Europe got), Star Ocean, FEDA, Dragon quest 6, Thracia 776, Genealogy of the Holy War and Tales of Phantasia. This movement of hardcore RPG fandom was exclusive to the US back then and I've never seen a group of games as heavily imported as those. If Baba thinks Europeans are more willing to buy into a series that American games have been going out of their way to buy for almost 20 years (going so far as to buy up the Europe exclusive PSP version of Tales of Eternia) he can go on thinking that. (He also thinks every RPG should have a main hero who uses friendship to save the day, every heroine should sacrifice herself for a tree and every middle age male should turn on the main character)

Quick note if anyone can find me a boxed copy of Tales of Eternia for PSP I'll buy it off you, or trade you something really rare like Radiant Historia.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Bluecast » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:32 pm

Last gen in the US the most modded system was Xbox. This gen It's Wii. Difference Xbox was modded for old arcade games. Wii was to play imports. I remember in the 90's people modded their Saturns.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby south carmain » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:41 pm

@segata you're right it won't outsell the us anytime soon, there is no ad campaign and passing round the word here is much harder than in the usa due to all the language barriers, also why it's harder for developers to advertise properly in europe as they need to make it into 5 different languages (just for the main countries) and respect the rules and take into consideration the culture and ways of each country, an ad campaign in that is succesful in italy can totally fail in the uk as we operate completely different to them

And lets not forget all these annoying eu regulations and taxes, yeah europe is a mess

But lets say someone takes all that into consideration and makes a plan strong enough to overcome all those obstacles and i'm sure it can be as succesful if not more than the US
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:46 pm

I'm going to have to, though I doubt I'll put any real money into it.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:57 pm

Oh yeah youre developing a game, well if you need any help or advice about the european side inbox me i would be happy to help, i speak fluent french also if thats any help
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:06 pm

south carmain wrote:Oh yeah youre developing a game, well if you need any help or advice about the european side inbox me i would be happy to help, i speak fluent french also if thats any help

It likely will be since I'll need translators, still I'm working on the game itself, post release stuff is a ways off.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:10 pm

Well you just found yourself a translator ;)
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Bluecast » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:10 pm

You still will hire me when you run Sega of America remember..as the office plant
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:13 pm

Bluecast wrote:You still will hire me when you run Sega of America remember..as the office plant

Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Spokane » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:14 pm

Hopefully he will remember to water you and give you a fertilizing every now and then. :-o
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Bluecast » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:17 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:
Bluecast wrote:You still will hire me when you run Sega of America remember..as the office plant

Sure I will do that thong and all. Just expect a flabbier big belly version. Basically a Green Goron in a thong.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:20 pm

Bluecast wrote:
Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:Seriously OL likes QT? Why? It makes Blacksite: Area 51 look like Battlefield 3.

You and OL got into a bit of a tassle when he bought it and liked it a few months back. :P

I thought I was clear enough about it before, but I guess not.
I'm not a "fan" of it or anything. I just thought it got shit on pretty unfairly, when in all honestly it isn't much worse than your average Gears of War, though obviously with a lower budget.
It's one of those cases where everyone goes on about how it's so awful they want to stab their eyes out, or some such other exaggerated nonsense, but I just never felt that kind of hatred for it.
If anything, I just didn't feel much for it either way, good or bad. It's not a good game by any means, but it didn't feel as awful as people go on about. That's all I ever meant.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:22 pm

In any case you do often have an eye for the underrated heavily shit on games. So I often go by that and often enjoy it. :lol: I actually need you on the forums for games.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:25 pm

Ahh yea, I remember now.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:43 am

OL wrote:It's one of those cases where everyone goes on about how it's so awful they want to stab their eyes out, or some such other exaggerated nonsense, but I just never felt that kind of hatred for it.

Seems now most people either love a game or hate it so much they want to run it over with their car. No one seems to just say it was ok but not for me.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming