RPG's thoughts/news doesn't fit elsewhere

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: RPG's( NOT Falcom,Square,Bethesda,Bioware)

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:29 pm

I always liked the first game more, mostly out of nostalgia, but I think Dungeon Crawlers are pretty under appreciated. The thing about Dark Chronicle is that its WAAAAY easier and more accessible then 90% of other games in the sub genre.

Also i have a question how does stuff like steam work for people in other countries? Like do you guys have steam?
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby south carmain » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:22 pm

^ the steam wikipedia should tell you that, i know it covers europe and north america but i'm not sure what other countries, usually a video game service covers the main pal, ntsce, jap regions but that's all, if you want to use these services outside these regions you need to log on to one of these regions servers like psn (well that's how it works in the middle east and africa)
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:54 am

Bluecast wrote:Wait what? Rogue Galaxy was awesome.

Mediocre, more like. It's a good looking game, no doubt, but again, there's no real substance to the game, I thought the towns didn't have any defining characteristics, nor did the characters themselves. I'm actually really struggling to think of what else there was about the game, it was a pretty forgettable experience for me.

Bluecast wrote:White Knight was a good game from I here just had some technical issues.

Just technical issues? I've played both White Knight Origins for PSP and White Knight Chronicles 1 and they were both terrible. Cliche ridden storyline in Chronicles and no story at all in Origins. Generic music, boring characters, art direction all over the damn place, gameplay that isn't worth investing many hours into. Seriously, the battle system really, really lacks. I gave that series a fair shot. And there was a lot more wrong with it than just "technical issues", believe me.

Bluecast wrote:I never seen one bad game from them at all.

That's probably because you've only played one game from them. I've played five. No offence.

Level 5 are really overrated. I really dislike the Layton series too, I played the first game and didn't like it at all.

Just gonna have to agree to disagree here.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:25 am

^ Whoa whoa whoa. Say what you want about White Knight Chronicles, but the cel-shaded Level 5 games have been excellent. Rogue Galaxy is a excellent game as well, its HUGE and has an extremely entertaining battle system, sure the story has some points that were more pointed toward a younger crowd, but that didnt bring down the game at all. The characters werent the best, but they were far from the worst as well, also it was a pretty diverse cast (although I will say RG borrows a little too much from FFX in certain spots) and every single one of their back stories are shown which is always a breath of fresh air in RPGs. Nothing wrong with that game at all.

There is also the Dark Cloud series, DQVIII, that they have under there belt. have you ever played Jeanne D'arc on PSP? Another perfectly acceptable RPG entry. I think you might be being just a wee bit judgemental and over critical, sure not every single one of these games is mind blowingly amazing, but all of them have their enjoyments and sweet spots and most of them are plenty solid. Level 5 make above par games, plain and simple.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:10 pm

Henry just no I have a few games of them in my collection. Rogue Galaxy is an amazing and awesome game. Dark Cloud is fucking awesome. They are one of the best and they never made one bad game. I also trust HCG opinions more than most. Same as OL. As the games people just shit on turn out they were shit on for dumb reasons. I also find a bit of that myself like Metriod Other M. Amazing game. They also make the Layton series. No sorry Level-5 is an elite RPG developer. You already made it clear many times Japanese stuff isn't your thing so you trash it. (like me and FPS)
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby OL » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:19 pm

I don't think it's so much that Japanese stuff isn't his thing, so much as cartoony or cutesy Japanese stuff isn't his thing.
When I think of Henry, I tend to think of darker games, sure, but they're all usually Japanese-made. Vagrant Story and Nier, for example. Can't think of much in particular that he's into that isn't Japanese, actually. He's usually really big into Strategy RPG's, which aren't exactly a staple of western game development.
I like Level-5, but I can understand him not liking them so much. Knowing his tastes, they aren't really the development studio for him.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:37 pm

What I was a trying to say but you said it better. Level-5 is a great developer. Just because something isn't within your interests does not make it bad. Tho in that sense Henry is kinda like me. You get so annoyed with it you just think ho hum this sucks.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:32 pm

All I was doing was trying to explain why I don't particularly like Level 5. I've played five of their games and they just didn't do it for me. I do have a copy of Jeanne D'Arc (Level 5's Strategy RPG), just not played it yet, so it's not like I hate the developers, just not liked what I've played from them, so far. I actually hoped we would get Guild01 and Time Travelers. And I didn't go in to their games wanting to dislike them, in fact, on the contrary, I wanted to like White Knight Chronicles, since despite all the flack it got, I thought it looked decent enough and might be underrated. But the game is a drag. Trust me on that. Don't waste your time with it.

Orange, I don't just like dark games, I don't think to myself: "I like this because it is dark" or that I dislike things because they aren't "dark enough", I just like those things without putting much thought into it in that way. Thinking about it a bit, sure, I guess I do like these darker games, but I do like my fair share of lighter stuff too (Rocket Knight series, Sonic series, Time Crisis, Treasure's games), just as long as it isn't stupid or too kiddy, I guess. And if the game has a lot of heart and soul put into it, you can sorta tell, since the design will shine through and keep you playing. There's been many games I've played that I greatly dislike the art for, Gungnir, for instance, has some horrible art in it (chibi, deformed art mixed with gritty art, which is sort of grating and bad art direction), still love that game though since the game design and writing are both top notch. Likewise, some of Treasure's games have pretty bad art, but again, brilliant gameplay.

I do think Level 5 have talent, just they're missing somebody with great direction/writing/designs skills. They're great in the art department, most of the time.
I still think they are way overrated though. Especially when people say they are what Square used to be. They're not. Sorry. ;-)
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Bluecast » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:36 pm

Square? Never heard that comparison. Nah. Closest to that is Mistwalker. I can't think of anyone they compare to in the past. Quintet maybe?
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:05 pm

I FINALLY got Colony 6 reconstruction to level 2 today, and half way to level 3, there are some pretty rare drops I have to get for level 3 though. I also took care of some of the harder challenges in the alcamoth/eryth areas.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:25 pm

XSEED - If you buy one XSEED title this year, make it The Last Story
Jul 19, 2012 by RawmeatCowboy
A portion of a VGW interview with Tom Lipschultz of XSEED Games...

VGW: Now this may be a tough one… If you could buy one title XSEED is releasing this year, what would it be?

TL: Whew, that IS a tough one! Ys Origin would be the obvious answer, what with me being the Falcom fanboy I am… but I’ve also been pretty addicted to Unchained Blades and The Last Story these last couple months. So I think I’m going to surprise everyone and say The Last Story! I’m honestly kind of blown away by how good that game is. I mean, it’s Sakaguchi, so I should’ve expected as much… but even for a Sakaguchi work, The Last Story is superb. It has a certain maturity to it that few other games I’ve ever played possess.

http://videogamewriters.com/xseed-inter ... more-50561
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Bluecast » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:13 am

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... pre-orders

Seems the more people who pre order the more goodies the Limited Edition gets. Sweet.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:22 am

Just preordered right now.
Seems like Namco is doing an unusually awesome job bringing this game over. Especially in the case of the 300 page book, this kind of special edition stuff usually gets left in Japan.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:04 pm

Ugh the namco website is saying I have to pay upfront for the game which isnt coming out until 6 months from now... Also pre-ordering through their website seems like its the only way to even get the LE at all, weird.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:07 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote:Ugh the namco website is saying I have to pay upfront for the game which isnt coming out until 6 months from now... Also pre-ordering through their website seems like its the only way to even get the LE at all, weird.

It doesn't charge til it ships. Otherwise I would have never been able to get it. And yes only thorugh Namco's site
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming