RPG's thoughts/news doesn't fit elsewhere

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Postby Mr.Tambourine Man » Tue May 27, 2008 6:31 pm

OL wrote:You don't like turn-based? Then why even bother with RPGs in the first place? Just go play an action game.

No matter. Try another Tales game. Tales of the Abyss ended up being my favorite in the series.
Also, since I love the Shin Megami Tensei series so much, I'll suggest the only action-RPG in the series: Devil Summoner for PS2.

You really want to know? Because I am SOOO bad at turn-based. Plus, it just gets boring after a while. I really like everything else about RPG's though, so I naturally loved Jade Empire, Shenmue, and others.
Mr.Tambourine Man
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby OL » Tue May 27, 2008 6:33 pm

I still say Shenmue isn't an RPG.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Tue May 27, 2008 6:46 pm

TambourineMan wrote:
OL wrote:You don't like turn-based? Then why even bother with RPGs in the first place? Just go play an action game.

No matter. Try another Tales game. Tales of the Abyss ended up being my favorite in the series.
Also, since I love the Shin Megami Tensei series so much, I'll suggest the only action-RPG in the series: Devil Summoner for PS2.

You really want to know? Because I am SOOO bad at turn-based. Plus, it just gets boring after a while. I really like everything else about RPG's though, so I naturally loved Jade Empire, Shenmue, and others.

Then Try Grandia 1&2 ..too bad III sucks because it's battle system is one of the best in RPG's ...I wish more RPG's would use it if you hve not already...the battle system is unlike any other and it's the only Japanese RPG series I really enjoy the battles as much as the game.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Mr.Tambourine Man » Tue May 27, 2008 6:56 pm

-Ryudo- wrote:
TambourineMan wrote:

Then Try Grandia 1&2 ..too bad III sucks because it's battle system is one of the best in RPG's ...I wish more RPG's would use it if you hve not already...the battle system is unlike any other and it's the only Japanese RPG series I really enjoy the battles as much as the game.

Grandia? for Dreamcast right? *takes notes*
Mr.Tambourine Man
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Bluecast » Tue May 27, 2008 8:35 pm

It's best on Dreamcast yeah then there is the first for PSone/Saturn.
Since the game is cheap it's worth trying.
If you still don't like it then that is cool but I hope you do.

Some like Japanfan like the first better while I like the second better..depends on the person.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Calshot » Tue May 27, 2008 8:44 pm

I second the Grandia II notion. It has a very fun battle system along with a good storyline. The way you encounter enemies can lead to some stealth tactics. I also read somewhere its easy overlevel. When I played, I thought was pretty easy but then again I fought every monster in the game at least once.
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby Captain Lars Kegstealer » Tue May 27, 2008 11:45 pm

DockeN wrote:Oblivion. If you don't like it, you don't like games.

End of discussion.

Even with glitches and bugs, Gothic III was better.
Captain Lars Kegstealer
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby HappyKillmore » Wed May 28, 2008 2:51 am

I agree, Oblivion is amazing. But i think i actually prefer Morrowind, oblivion made a lot of mistakes, like including the ability to fast travel. Morrowind only had fast traveling in the form of these use creatures that you would ride on, but usually it would cost a lot so players would just walk and explore, and aspect that was lost a little in oblivion i think.
HappyKillmore
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: big_g_mcfc
XBL: DerK0mmissar
Steam: kingkong001
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: With Myself

Postby DockeN » Wed May 28, 2008 7:37 am

Yeah, I agree, Morrowind was definitely better for its time. But for a person completely new to the series, I'd have to recommend Oblivion.
DockeN
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Mr.Tambourine Man » Wed May 28, 2008 8:57 am

Well, I picked up Morrowind yesterday and it's amazing so far.
Mr.Tambourine Man
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ys » Wed May 28, 2008 10:01 am

TambourineMan wrote:And, if I sold my Dreamcast I wouldn't be able to play Shenmue!!

Indeed, selling a DC is blasphemy!
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Testopoles » Sat May 31, 2008 5:59 pm

good rpg without turnbase don't no exist!
Testopoles
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby white lotus » Sat May 31, 2008 7:44 pm

Testopoles wrote:good rpg without turnbase don't no exist!

Yes they do. Their are tons of em. Better than any Final Fantasy or Dragon Warrior.
white lotus
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: I am a former gamer

Postby wude » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:10 pm

golden sun is a good one too
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: m.a.m.e

Postby Clint » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:33 pm

I'm about 65 hours in Oblivion, and I must say, it's one of the best games i've ever played. I'd give it 9.5/10 so far (would probably be a 10 if it wasn't buggy) It reminds me a bit of Shenmue in terms of NPC's and definitely in terms of freedom (you can do whatever you want in the game, there is absolutely no limits)

I'm playing it on the PS3 (the original version) I'm still waiting for SCEE to release the fucking Shivering Isles Expansion on the PS Store. The lazy cunts, US got it ages ago.
Clint
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: Fallout 3

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming