Dreamcast...

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Dreamcast...

Postby IwaoHazuki » Wed Apr 30, 2003 3:47 pm

I play my Dreamcast more than anything! So many fun games.

I talked my friend into buying a Dreamcast and he likes it too. He plays it more than he plays his Xbox and PS2.

Why didn't the DC get the credit it deserves?

It offers anything that the newer consoles offer.
IwaoHazuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: Segaw
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Shenmueplaya » Wed Apr 30, 2003 3:55 pm

My Dreamcast is messed up, made past Jan. 2001. I'm going to borrow a friend's though and see if my experiment works.

LONG LIVE DREAMCAST~ Think about it, if it weren't for DC, we wouldn't have had these forums.
Shenmueplaya
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Andy » Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:03 pm

I luv my Dreamcast. I still have more Dreamcast games then any other system.. but I do have 22 of em. Man, did I waste a lot of money. lol
Andy
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby LanDC » Thu May 01, 2003 3:23 am

The Dreamcast should still be seeing releases every day, i dont understand why . it would be cool if it still got games. other than the few in japan... it's just so great!. i still like the DC better than any other consoles.
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Re: Dreamcast...

Postby kenshiro » Thu May 01, 2003 4:31 am

IwaoHazuki wrote:I play my Dreamcast more than anything! So many fun games.

I talked my friend into buying a Dreamcast and he likes it too. He plays it more than he plays his Xbox and PS2.

Why didn't the DC get the credit it deserves?

It offers anything that the newer consoles offer.

Because Sega execs were so horrible at marketing and business execution. They should have gone with DVDs instead of GD-ROMs and entice Konami and Square/Enix to make games for it. If there was MGS and Final Fantasy on it, I think DC would have survived. Also, a lot of people bought the PS2 as a cheap DVD player, at the time.
kenshiro
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Veteah » Thu May 01, 2003 4:41 am

^^^

*Agrees*

But advertising was a major problem with SEGA and thats mainly why they went under.
Veteah
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby leehimself » Thu May 01, 2003 10:07 am

I lived and breathed Dreamcast, ever since the first info in Sega Saturn magazine, to when I got a Jap import DC in November 98, to my UK Dc on October 13th 99(Day Early :D) Till the present day when I still play it a few times a week...
leehimself
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby T1249NTSCJØ » Thu May 01, 2003 6:15 pm

Yeah advertising was a major key it seems to still be the situation so far, I mean how often do you see Sega commercials etc...
T1249NTSCJØ
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby pico » Thu May 01, 2003 6:22 pm

They barely advertised and also because big names like EA and Square refused to develop for the DC.

Hell, the only DC commercials I remember are Shenmue and Sonic Adventure 2. Oh, and a few Sega Sports commercial after the DC was already dead; they still stuck the logo for DC,PS2, and Xbox on the commercials.
pico
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Axm » Thu May 01, 2003 8:30 pm

my fav consoles-
1) Dreamcast
2)Xbox
3)SNES
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Jacob Marley » Thu May 01, 2003 11:15 pm

Sometimes I wonder if the Dreamcast is only as popular as it seems to be these days due to the fact that it's a dead platform.

Where were all these ardent Dreamcast fanboys when the system was alive and getting its ass handed to it by Sony in 1999-2000?
Jacob Marley
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Axm » Thu May 01, 2003 11:42 pm

true, what a shame
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby TheMightyAquabat » Thu May 01, 2003 11:53 pm

Yeah, i love my dreamcast...
TheMightyAquabat
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby kenshiro » Fri May 02, 2003 3:06 am

Sega made one too many mistakes......Saturn, Sega CD, Sega 32, Gamegear, Nomad, and sadly.....DC. Out of all of them, the DC wasn't that bad, but it was just marketed so poorly. The Gamecube kind of reminds me of the DC. But Nintendo at least the GBA.
kenshiro
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Jacob Marley » Fri May 02, 2003 9:21 am

kenshiro wrote:Sega made one too many mistakes......Saturn, Sega CD, Sega 32, Gamegear, Nomad, and sadly.....DC. Out of all of them, the DC wasn't that bad, but it was just marketed so poorly. The Gamecube kind of reminds me of the DC. But Nintendo at least the GBA.

Keep in mind that Sega's resources were extremely limited (thanks to previous ill-fated projects like the 32X and Saturn), so they had to budget their resources accordingly. This is partly why the advertising was so minimal and the support was so poor.

The Gamecube appears to be going the way of the Dreamcast as well. Nintendo is becoming yet another Sega at this juncture, with the only difference being their portable game line and the infernal Pokemon franchise which they milk to death whenever they begin to face difficult financial quarters.
Jacob Marley
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Next

Return to General Gaming