DMC [Reboot]

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: DMC reboot

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:28 pm

Martin wrote:IMO, you people should be less hung-up on what hair Dante has and just wait to see if the game is toss or not.

Would you feel better if I picked apart Ninja Theory's past work and explained in detail why the interview makes things worse?
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Martin » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:32 pm

I understand the "if it ain't broke.." point. My point is - what if the gameplay kicks ass? You're all absolutely burying this game before you know anything about it, pretty much (isn't the only media available for it just a couple pics?). Doesn't seem like the sort of thing level-headed folk would do, to me, and absolutely seems like little more than an outcry over change of image, to me. When I think of this topic, I imagine all of you as this guy in the top-left of this video.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sweSCZfdfqo[/youtube]

"Whyyyyyyyyyyyy Capcom... WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!?!?" [/gayest, most cringe-worthy YouTube rant I've seen in ages]

I also think that essentially basing your whole argument about this on "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is kind of lame. Just because something is an old adage/wives tale, doesn't mean it isn't a complete crock of shit. For example - "Violence doesn't solve anything". This is definitely untrue. I have personally witnessed violence solve things, first-hand. With zero repercussions for the person who employed said violence. Violence actually does solve things, sometimes. Likewise, though something may not be 'broke', it might still benefit from a bit of a change (or 'fix', as you would say).

I'm not saying DMC will benefit from this change, or that it's even a good thing that it's getting a change. Just saying you guys should probably at least give it some kind of chance (since it's happening regardless of what you say), rather than completely carpet bombing it before we really know anything about it. I think it is sad that Capcom have gotten their fan base all wrong (they couldn't have meant for all this fanboy butt-hurt), but still, it's happening. At least wait to see if the game is a pile o' shit before you crucify it. It might turn out good. You don't know that it won't, despite things suggesting the contrary.

Totally nonplussed about whatever Hideki Kamiya says about this game. It's all too common for people in his position to complain when someone takes his baby and changes it. Didn't he only do the first DMC, anyway?
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: After Burner... Great!

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:34 pm

Again would you feel better if I actually wrote something about Ninja Theory's work and why the interview makes everything worse?
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:01 pm

I really don't like the "if it ain't broke" argument either. Its what made decent games like Zelda and Mario completely stale. And also why I didn't dig DMC4 as much as I thought I would.

I still don't like the new Dante though. If they didn't cheese him up so bad, I wouldn't have cared much other than the fact its too soon to reboot. If its good, at best i'll probably say "its fun but Dante still looks like shit". If Gearbox had the authority to reboot and retool the Duke Nukem character and that new game comes out just as good, would you really think its a worthy addition to the Duke franchise? Or an embarrassing guilty pleasure?
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Bluecast » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:23 pm

Haha at the guy in the vid,ok so yeah maybe the broke comment is off but there is other ways to give it a spark that didn't require this crappy new Dante character.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby OL » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:29 pm

What Martin seems to be ignoring is that character, atmosphere, and style count for A LOT in games like this.
I already explained it before.
In all likelihood, I think the gameplay itself will be good. I, personally, am not bashing it for anything like that.
With games like this, one of the primary deciding factors on whether a person will like it or not is whether they like the characters, story, and attitude in them. God of War, Bayonetta, Dante's Inferno... all are great examples of games that are in many ways similar to Devil May Cry in regards to gameplay, and yet despite my love for DMC, I have no interest in them whatsoever.
The reason for that is that they all possess aesthetic stylings to them that turn me off from wanting to play them.
Can that really be described as a lack of level-headedness?
It's just a matter of preference.
For example, Gears of War and Uncharted are obviously similar to eachother gameplay-wise. But even though I love Uncharted, I have no interest in Gears.
Is it irrational?
Not at all. I love the sort of world-spanning, Indiana Jones style that Uncharted has, while the burly soldiers vs. mutant aliens in a ruined world thing in Gears just isn't doing it for me.
It's just preference.

In regards to the new "Dante", the sentiments are the same. While I absolutely loved the off-the-wall, sarcastic, uniquely Japanese style of the old Devil May Cry's, this new one does absolutely nothing for me. Sure, we haven't seen all that much from it yet, but what we have seen already shows that they're going for a "gritty", "dark", ugly, western hipster style.
To me (and, obviously, to most already-established fans of DMC) this is absolutely the wrong way to go. We liked the series for its gameplay, sure, but the style was almost equally important. And a complete abandoning of that style is a legitimate reason to get upset.

Granted, some fans apparently lack the verbal faculties to properly express this disappointment, but I can't imagine their sentiments are really any different from mine.
That faggot in the video you posted has no reason to be complaining though. He really looks like exactly the kind of audience this reboot is aimed at. He should be ashamed for looking like such a fucking tool. And sounding like one, too.
"Dante's supposed to be cool, he likes pizza and strawberry sundaes! AAAAAGGGHH!"
Yeah, way to eloquently make your case there, guy...
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Martin » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:51 pm

Fair points, OL. Well, we've reached a point here were I still just differ from all of you on this. So I'll let it be.

Kenny™© wrote:If Gearbox had the authority to reboot and retool the Duke Nukem character and that new game comes out just as good, would you really think its a worthy addition to the Duke franchise? Or an embarrassing guilty pleasure?

I think they are rebooting it. Not totally sure, but I think I read that somewhere. Might have been a prequel thing. Can't remember. Don't really care, since DNF is the last 3DR (+ pals) Duke game. I don't have any wish to wait another decade for one of those, and so I'm probably just saying bye to Duke with DNF, unless they continue the awesome. Much of the creative force behind Duke3D and DNF is actually at Gearbox now, anyway (finishing DNF, and presumably in place to work on future Duke games). So it's unlikely that they'd totally piss on the concept.

Still though, there's a whole bunch of Duke fans lamenting at how the game has a two-weapon system, saying nasty things about it being 'console-friendly' (along with the gloves thing I mentioned earlier :lol: ). I see their attitude as silly as people's extreme hate towards this new DMC. Some people are saying they're not getting it because of the two-weapon system, scoffing that an FPS might also be available on console! It's a similar sort of mentality as what's going on here. Can't really be bothered with all that. It's a game.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:Again would you feel better if I actually wrote something about Ninja Theory's work and why the interview makes everything worse?

Not really, no.
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:07 pm

OL hit the nail on the head.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:13 pm

Then quit bitchin. lol

Theres an argument that can be made against the based on the quality of work they've put out coupled with their plans for the game and you just said you didn't want to hear it, so enjoy the constant character design complaints.

God of War, Bayonetta, Dante's Inferno... all are great examples of games that are in many ways similar to Devil May Cry in regards to gameplay, and yet despite my love for DMC, I have no interest in them whatsoever.

Only Bayonetta is close to DMC the others are VERY far off. For one the actual speed, while DMC has pretty much always pushed 60, GOW and Dante's shitferno cap at about 30, also DMC has a more arcade feel thus the ranking system on every combo and letter grades that GOW and Shitferno lack. Overall theres a lot of ways they're different otherwise I agree with whatcha said (well that and Ninja Theory is a kinda shitty dev team)
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:04 am

David Jaffe once joked that when making GOW, he stole all his ideas from DMC. I still compare them as both being "stylish action" games, at the very least, and since Dante's Inferno is a GOW ripoff...
Yeah, I was just going with the "stylish action" comparison, the same way one could easily compare Max Payne and Dead to Rights just because they have guns and slo-mo, even though they play completely different.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Tuffty » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:51 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBNQbXL_Px4[/youtube]
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:35 pm

So it will now use the UT3 engine.
But now also I see articles calling it DmC:Devil May Cry (don't know if that is the sites or the new official name)
Redundant much?
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Kenny » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:39 pm

Its like calling Rambo 4, which is suppose to be First Blood 4, "Rambo".

Its retarded.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Martin » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:15 am

I think Rambo had a good excuse, since it had been a million years since the previous film.
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kenny » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:31 am

Yeah when you first release it, but when you try to compile a collection or try to buy/rent the movie its ridiculous.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming