DMC [Reboot]

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: DMC reboot

Postby Clint » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:31 pm

Martin wrote:What will you guys do if it turns out to be a good game? Will you still just be upset because his hair colour has changed? There's a bunch of people on Duke sites at the moment arguing about which set of DNF on-screen gloves were the best, and various people crying out in anguish that he has gloves at all, since he never had any beforehand. I find these levels of obsession quite fascinating. Of course, we're no better with all our Shenmue topics. It's interesting. I bet DMC fan site forums are a pretty stark place to be right now :lol:

Surely the most important thing is; Is it going to have the same old DMC gameplay, or are these sorts of details not yet known?

Yeah i'm with you on this one.

I have completely changed my outlook on the gaming industry over the past year or so. I think this way of thinking is now the right approach, considering what's at stake. As a gamer, just either play the game or move onto something else. How hard is it? All anyone seems to be doing around here is moaning about the state of the industry. It's totally boring seeing the same thing posted all the time. It's bitter, if nothing else.

I have faith that the majority of these games can still be awesome. Even Max Payne 3. And i'm probably the biggest MP fan on this forum.

I'm willing to give most games the benefit of the doubt. That is, the games that still have something left to offer. Some of these series should have been put to sleep a long time ago. I'll judge a game once i've played it.
Clint
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: Fallout 3

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:41 pm

Actually its a lot more then hair color, whether not not duke has gloves who cares, its just gloves on a game thats been in development for over a decade.

DMC has sold well and as a series is well received, the character of Dante was beloved. Now why reboot that? Also they took a fairly unique character with almost 10 years of history and buildup. Throw that away and run with whats "popular" a pasty, skinny little hipster shit. I don't wanna see Dante acting like Patrick Bateman.

Also Ninja Theory isn't very good at making action games, I'm not impressed by what I've played of Enslaved and Heavenly Sword is at its very best less then mediocre. Add Kung Fu chaos to the mix and we're not looking at a good idea. Heck even if it turns out being good it likely won't be a DMC game, that arcady gameplay will be removed for QTEs and boring guided platforming sections.

Theres always a possibility, but things aren't looking good.

Also we have every right to bitch and moan it was on our backs that these series came to be and these companies became what they are, if we're not happy things will go very sour when the fad is over and trust me, it will
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:52 pm

I've never played a DMC game (I want to) but want to say my two cents. I've never understood hating something over the name on the box. It should not change your opinion on a game at all. It happened with the last Queen and Guns N' Roses album. Before either even came out people passed them off as shit because certain people wern't involved. I couldn't care who's in the band just make music I enjoy the sound of. Ok if a game is a sequal I understand looking at the others in the series when basing an opinion on a game same with a movie. Since it is a sequal you need to know certain things and it can have effect on the game.

But a reboot? Come on give it a chance. I say give it a chance. I still think this will be like the Prince of Persia series and end up going back to it's roots but people should go in with an open mind.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Martin » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:01 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:Actually its a lot more then hair color, whether not not duke has gloves who cares, its just gloves on a game thats been in development for over a decade.

That's what I'm saying - it hardly fucking matters! :lol: Many of them would look at this DMC situation in the exact same light, saying "who cares?".

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:DMC has sold well and as a series is well received, the character of Dante was beloved. Now why reboot that? Also they took a fairly unique character with almost 10 years of history and buildup. Throw that away and run with whats "popular" a pasty, skinny little hipster shit. I don't wanna see Dante acting like Patrick Bateman.

I played DMC when it came out, and still have a couple of them lying around. I never found Dante to be that original. As if half-human half-supernatural characters have never featured in anime before? It's practically an age-old anime cliché. With regards to throwing it away for something more popular, hasn't the reaction basically shown the opposite? They've thrown away the popular thing, and put something else in there. It's no more tacky than classic Dante, just less Japanese.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:Also we have every right to bitch and moan it was on our backs that these series came to be and these companies became what they are, if we're not happy things will go very sour when the fad is over and trust me, it will

True. Maybe Capcom are hoping to ensnare a new audience with the new DMC, worrying that a new-comers would avoid a 'Devil May Cry 5', since they'd have missed so much and would probably not want to pick the series up at the fifth instalment. Perhaps they think a reboot would be more artistically valid then DMC 5, since classic Dante has been milked enough, and it's difficult to find a good storyline for yet another game. A total reboot, if successful, paves the the way for another easy trilogy at least.

Just throwing out possibles, here.
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: After Burner... Great!

Postby Bluecast » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:30 pm

DMC4 sold the most of the franchise so it's not like it was going downhill.
The series was not broke and they are trying to fix what didn't need fixing.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:35 pm

Ok I don't think you understood that. They didn't just change Dante's hair, he talks differently, looks differently and smokes. From what we've seen so far he's a street punk in a rehabilitation program. Old Dante, was a sarcastic, horny nerd that disliked smoking.

Duke has gloves, now he done't big deal, his character hasn't changed, he's still the duke both in name, and spirit.

As if half-human half-supernatural characters have never featured in anime before? It's practically an age-old anime cliché. With regards to throwing it away for something more popular, hasn't the reaction basically shown the opposite? They've thrown away the popular thing, and put something else in there. It's no more tacky than classic Dante, just less Japanese.

Over simplifying much? No thats not an original concept, and yes perhaps it is Japanese but its a Japanese character made by a Japanese designer. He was popular and a lot of people like him. I do too, more so then Yuske, more then Inuyasha (who is a pussy) and more then most other half supernatural characters because he's got a decent backstory thats fleshed out in DMC 1,3,4 and Nocture as well as the manga and anime (both of which are canon) Thats a lot of media to push aside to appeal to people riding the Twilight fad or start a new series.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Tuffty » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:35 pm

Martin wrote:I played DMC when it came out, and still have a couple of them lying around. I never found Dante to be that original. As if half-human half-supernatural characters have never featured in anime before? It's practically an age-old anime cliché. With regards to throwing it away for something more popular, hasn't the reaction basically shown the opposite? They've thrown away the popular thing, and put something else in there. It's no more tacky than classic Dante, just less Japanese.

A white haired, half human, half demon badass isn't original, of course not. But, for many, including myself, Dante was the white haired, half human, half demon badass. The uproar isn't over something as trivial as hair colour, if this was DMC5 but Dante had freaking ginger hair I wouldn't mind so long as the personality was still there.

The reason I play and prefer DMC games over other, equally compotent action games (many of which owed their existence to DMC in the first place) is the style, the visual flair and of course Dante. Every line, weapon, movement, pose, a lot about him was really cool and set him apart from other 'oh so serious' male protaganists. Who knows if the swagger will apply here? The trailer seems to indicate that, but rather poorly with that dedicated shot of him smoking. Besides, NT may deem that his personality needs an overhaul as well, hell they already redesigned the character on the grounds of supposed mass market appeal.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:08 pm

This is Dante, do you see the "new dante" doing something like this?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLOwwchSrjw[/youtube]
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:20 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:This is Dante, do you see the "new dante" doing something like this?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLOwwchSrjw[/youtube]

pfft new dante takes a puff of a cigg and then puts it out on a demons head he has in a headlock.
WOW NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE!
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:49 pm

Clint wrote:I have completely changed my outlook on the gaming industry over the past year or so. I think this way of thinking is now the right approach, considering what's at stake. As a gamer, just either play the game or move onto something else. How hard is it? All anyone seems to be doing around here is moaning about the state of the industry. It's totally boring seeing the same thing posted all the time. It's bitter, if nothing else.

:-s
Um... this is kind of odd to hear coming from you, since as far as I can remember, you actually complain more than most around here about the "state of the industry" (particularly in regards to Japanese gaming).
Not trying to be insulting or anything, it's just that when I think of members around here that voice their discontent about the industry, you come up pretty close to the top...

Tuffty wrote:The reason I play and prefer DMC games over other, equally compotent action games (many of which owed their existence to DMC in the first place) is the style, the visual flair and of course Dante. Every line, weapon, movement, pose, a lot about him was really cool and set him apart from other 'oh so serious' male protaganists.

This. There's a nail, there's its head.
*BAM*
Hit the nail on the head.
It's easy for non-fans to brush things aside and say "who fucking cares?", but there really is a reason for all the backlash.
Is Dante a super-original character?
No, not particularly. But fans of the series (myself included) like him. It isn't a matter of how broadly original he is. That isn't the point.
We like playing as him. We like his background, the way he looks, his little details and eccentricities, and how all those things come together to make him a cool and easily-identifiable character. That example Sanshiro posted spells it out brilliantly. No matter how well this new game is made, no matter how good its mechanics are (if they actually end up that way), there's next to no chance that this new "Dante" is going to have that kind of flare and style.
Hell, I'll admit that games like the God of War series and, say, Bayonetta are technically well-made. Impressive in a lot of ways, even.
But you know what?
I don't fucking like the main characters. Kratos is an overgrown baby in a loincloth, and Bayonetta is a lanky, irritatingly British Hot Topic dork in a onesie. The games could technically be the best ever made (hypothetically), but I still wouldn't be into them because of their characters.
I like the original Dante, however, because he's a funny, sarcastic, apathetic, unpredictable, nigh-immortal demon slayer who travels in large parties of one, and was the originator of making a beatdown look awesome. He's fucking fun as hell, and that's most of what I show up for game after game.
I want that guy back.

Though, honestly, I have to say I don't get why some of you guys have such a problem with the new one smoking. Seems like kind of a quibbling complaint to make, practically on the level of that "Duke's gloves" argument that was mentioned...
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:01 am

I only brought up the smoking for just that one bit alone in the trailer as they are trying to sell to me how badass he is when that exact thing is one of the most commonly used things in film and games for "tough guys"
I don't care if a character smokes but when they try and push it as if it makes them that much cooler or whatever..it's just well silly and old.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Martin » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:59 am

Yeah. Smoking was cool until maybe the early 90s. Almost no films depict characters being cool through smoking after this point, because by this point we all knew that smoking isn't cool, and actually just gives you cancer, ruins your teeth, and makes your breath stink of shit.
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:39 am

^And only ugly/old people smoke. Don't forget that part.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Martin » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:40 pm

I wish that were true. I know some pretty fine women who smoke :-/
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Clint » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:26 pm

OL wrote:
Clint wrote:I have completely changed my outlook on the gaming industry over the past year or so. I think this way of thinking is now the right approach, considering what's at stake. As a gamer, just either play the game or move onto something else. How hard is it? All anyone seems to be doing around here is moaning about the state of the industry. It's totally boring seeing the same thing posted all the time. It's bitter, if nothing else.

Um... this is kind of odd to hear coming from you, since as far as I can remember, you actually complain more than most around here about the "state of the industry" (particularly in regards to Japanese gaming).
Not trying to be insulting or anything, it's just that when I think of members around here that voice their discontent about the industry, you come up pretty close to the top...

I have changed my outlook regarding the modern-day gaming industry now. I think what has perhaps edged this on is the constant complaints found on this forum every day. I just don't see these things being a big issue anymore, even as I happen to be a more casual gamer now.

I think that games should just be played and judged. Or not played at all. Those are really the only options available to me. There was a time when I was complaining about Max Payne being 'Rockstar'd', but I think i've gotten to the stage where I don't care about these things, and will probably play the game anyway. If it's a worthy addition, then cool. I need to let go of a certain nostaliga. If it's rubbish, then yeah, i'll voice my opinion as always. But from now on, i'm trying to give most games the benefit of the doubt. Some games do happen to suprise us. And moaning all the time just isn't healthy.

Unfortunately, I didn't get chance to defend myself in the last thread (as this is now locked) and therefore it's sometimes hard to get my point across. Especially when i'm called closed minded, and then told to 'not get it' (like there actually is such a thing to get) But, whatever.

I know I can be confusing, misunderstood, or a fucking idiot at times. But I am what I am. I always try to give my real opinion towards anything, regardless of how uninformed I can occassionally be. This is the exact reason I frequent an internet forum.
Clint
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: Fallout 3

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming