DMC [Reboot]

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Devil May Cry series

Postby Dorian » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:52 pm

He said it in DMC2 as well. I can't remember if he said it in DMC3, but I think he did. Or was it Vergil? Damn, I need DMCHD. It's been too long since I've played them.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: stuff

Postby Bluecast » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:54 pm

Dorian wrote: He said it in DMC2 as well. I can't remember if he said it in DMC3, but I think he did. Or was it Vergil? Damn, I need DMCHD. It's been too long since I've played them.

He said it in all 3.

Bluecast has received a thanks from: Dorian
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Dorian » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:02 pm

Yeah, I was almost certain of that, but I've played DMC3 too long ago to actually remember it and I hate checking stuff like this on YT.

Anyway, the point was: the lack of that line is like a premonition of the original DMC's end.

Then again, I'm actually happy now that Capcom decided to reboot DMC.

I hate DmC by TN, and I wouldn't want to play it even for free, but after RE6, I realized that modern Capcom is creating awful shit and it's really better for DMC fans that the old DMC universe has been put to rest. We won't get to know what happens after DMC4, but it's better that way than to see it all being profaned like RE was.
Last edited by Dorian on Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Bluecast » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:08 pm

As I sit here wearing my MEGA MAN & DMC wristbands as I do daily. I just realized Capcom has left us hanging on to cliffhangers. Mega Man Legends 2 & DMC4. Fuck crying about Shenmue because that was a bomb in sales. DMC & MML were big sellers and capcom says fuck you we will not let you finish.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:37 am

http://www.brokenjoysticks.net/2012/10/ ... l-may-cry/

The one thing I really took away from our time with the game was the impression that Ninja theory has nailed the core gameplay while making minor adjustments. If you’re worried that Dante’s classic maneuvers like juggling enemies and pulling off fancy moves are missing or some how altered, I can tell you they are all accounted for.

And surely the classic gameplay is what most should want from this?
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby OL » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:52 am

Don't kid yourself, aesthetics account for a helluva lot of Devil May Cry's appeal. The gameplay might still be there, but if I'm playing as a hipster meth-head, it's just not the experience I'm going for.
The old DMC gameplay is fantastic, and one of the main draws of the series, of course, but it's only part of an overall experience. Cut out the other important elements and replace them with something completely different, and that appeal diminishes.

If I wanted great gameplay with shitty aesthetics, I'd go play Bayonetta.

OL has received a thanks from: Bluecast
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:10 pm

^ Bayonetta herself aside the rest of the games aesthetics are quite good. No different than any DMC.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Dorian » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:18 pm

The gameplay is not there. Geez, how unprofessional gaming journalism is. DmC features dramatically different gamepaly than DMC. It looks the same on paper, just like general descriptions of Tekken and Virtua Fighter would make them look identical gameplay-wise. The real gameplay is buried deep down inside and even the smallest details can change it drastically.

DmC is a watered-down, semi-automatic version of DMC when it comes to the gameplay.

Bluecast wrote: ^ Bayonetta herself aside the rest of the games aesthetics are quite good. No different than any DMC.

I can't agree. I found Bayo's aesthetics mediocre and far below those found in DMC1 and DMC3.

Dorian has received a thanks from: OL
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby OL » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:34 pm

Yeah, I can't agree about Bayonetta's aesthetic style either. It all just reeks of a sort of incongruous mish-mash of "trying too hard to be cool" design work all over the place.
DMC's aesthetics usually had a great flow between all of the various designs. They all felt like they belonged in the same world together, which is part of the reason that the series is known for an overall iconic style, not just a single iconic design. With Bayonetta, I just don't see it that way.
And the onesie bodysuits on these witches just aren't doing them any favors. Not just Bayonetta herself, but her red-clad "rival" or whatever as well. They look ridiculous, in a way that isn't even particularly fun or interesting.

The one good visual to come out of it:

...but that's just good 3D-modeling work, not necessarily design work.

OL has received 2 thanks from: Dorian, Who Really Cares?
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Tuffty » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:54 pm

OL wrote: Yeah, I can't agree about Bayonetta's aesthetic style either. It all just reeks of a sort of incongruous mish-mash of "trying too hard to be cool" design work all over the place.
DMC's aesthetics usually had a great flow between all of the various designs. They all felt like they belonged in the same world together, which is part of the reason that the series is known for an overall iconic style, not just a single iconic design. With Bayonetta, I just don't see it that way.

Says the guy who's only played the demo. Not being funny, I just think you can't really make a judgement call on it without having played the game surely? I will say there are some grand, epic environments in the game, with some cool design that wouldn't feel out of place in a Devil May Cry game.

Again, I can't stress this enough. Even if you're not a fan of the style, which you're clearly not, at least give the actual game a chance. If you liked Devil May Cry, you can't not like Bayonetta. I just think you're missing out on the chance to play a game which you'll like or may even end up loving, just cause you think the characters proportions aren't 'normal'.

Tuffty has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Bluecast » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:40 pm

Tuffty is right. I was put off by the design and demo and stuff. I got it for 12$ and it's amazing.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Dorian » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:33 pm

Tuffy is wrong.

OL is right.

Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby OL » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:57 am

Tuffty wrote:Says the guy who's only played the demo. Not being funny, I just think you can't really make a judgement call on it without having played the game surely?

Don't have to have played all the way through a game to see pictures and videos on the internet, all of which properly represent the game's aesthetic qualities just fine. I've seen the designs for all of the primary characters (along with their in-game representations, of course) and I've seen the grand majority, if not all, of the enemy designs in the game. There might be a couple of interestings designs here and there, but as I said, few of them feel like they're actually unified into a full, cohesive style that one could look at and really think to themselves "that is so Bayonetta."
It's all a big mish-mash . There's really no better term for it. And Platinum seems to be experts at this odd little sense of randomness (Anarchy Reigns is another example).
And, staying on-topic, I say all of this in comparison to the majority of the DMC series. Bayonetta lacks a concrete visual identity of its own, while DMC has almost always been extremely individual and immediately identifiable.
It isn't just a case of me thinking Bayonetta is proportioned weird.

And, to be clear, this visual individuality that DMC has certainly isn't the norm, so it's not really the biggest strike that I'd count against Bayonetta. There are other games I love that don't quite achieve DMC's level of visual cohesion, but I still love them regardless, so it's not actually that big a negative for me personally (I even warmed up to Anarchy Reigns with the demo of it). It's just an observation of the visuals.
The biggest turn-off for me is the character of Bayonetta herself. Not just her looks, but her personality. She's annoying as hell to me. The greatest gameplay in the world can't save the game from that.

OL has received a thanks from: Dorian
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Dorian » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:01 am

^ I knew OL would write something like that and that's why I just wrote he's right and I didn't want to defend him when he's perfectly capable of doing it himself.

All I can add is that I like Bayonetta, but its art is awful in its mediocrity. Do not mix it with things like typicality. Bayon's quite unique, but in a mediocre way.
Last edited by Dorian on Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Bluecast » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:03 am

OL wrote:
The biggest turn-off for me is the character of Bayonetta herself. Not just her looks, but her personality. She's annoying as hell to me. The greatest gameplay in the world can't save the game from that.

I said the same thing. Then I bought the game and the Gameplay does indeed save it. I'm sorry but DMC seems slow and clunky compared to Bayonetta.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming