Wii U

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Wii U

Postby OL » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:15 pm

^^I actually pretty much agree. The new controller will likely be used for throwaway crap in most cases, and the library of games so far is just a bunch of ports, with all but maybe one or two of the exclusives announced not interesting me in the slightest.
That's not to say I'll never get it. It's almost a guarantee that I will at some point. Game libraries grow as a console stays around for a while, and I have no doubt that eventually it'll have a good amount of games I really want to play.
But at the moment, it's just another console with a lame gimmick, which is really just in place to cut down on piracy.
Give it about a year, allow more games to come out and be announced, and I may be more interested.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:27 pm

Seems like the PS3/360 were beta testers, the real, final versions of all the games are coming to Wii U. :lol:

The real question is, will Wii U be region locked like 3DS and Wii are?
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:34 pm

Controllers just another gimmick to me and i dare say i would use the 360 like pad more. But at the moment the console has little to no interest for me as its Nintendo games I'm tired of and ports.

Still worried about what MS and Sony will come out with next so I'm in a wait a see mood at the moment.
Its neat that you can play via the controller screen but using it while playing on a tv? Most the time just gonna be annoying IMO.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Bluecast » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:24 pm

I see it like an extended DS. I had an idea for a space ship battle simulator where you prop up the Gamepad like a control panel and the TV is the view screen. Can support up to 2 pads per team and be online. If the Wii U could handle it I would support up to 5 for a full crew. If you read what Mistwalker said & played The Last Story you will see the pad would be awesome for those strategy moments. It's great for playing games like Madden. Dreamcast had a great idea but the tech was not there yet. Gamecube tried as well. Again tech. I am also one to play more on a traditional pad and I want the pro controller more. However the game pad has many opportunities. I'm sure like Wii & DS out of the gate most devs will tack it on.

EDIT: Was thinking about Dreamcast typing of the dead. If Wii U had something similar. Only you draw a letter. Granted handwriting tech is suspect. If it works. Similar type of thing.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:05 pm

OL wrote: ^^I actually pretty much agree. The new controller will likely be used for throwaway crap in most cases, and the library of games so far is just a bunch of ports, with all but maybe one or two of the exclusives announced not interesting me in the slightest.
That's not to say I'll never get it. It's almost a guarantee that I will at some point. Game libraries grow as a console stays around for a while, and I have no doubt that eventually it'll have a good amount of games I really want to play.
But at the moment, it's just another console with a lame gimmick, which is really just in place to cut down on piracy.
Give it about a year, allow more games to come out and be announced, and I may be more interested.

Don't remember when the biggest games on ps3 were full auto 2 and Ridge Racer 7 (which were just full auto and ridge racer 6 ported over)

Still Jason Schrier had an idea that sounded really interesting about an RPG where the TV is used for exploration and while exploring the touchpad would be used for real time combat.

Henry Spencer wrote:Seems like the PS3/360 were beta testers, the real, final versions of all the games are coming to Wii U. :lol:

The real question is, will Wii U be region locked like 3DS and Wii are?

most likely region locked, which sucks donkey dick.

Who Really Cares? wrote:Controllers just another gimmick to me and i dare say i would use the 360 like pad more. But at the moment the console has little to no interest for me as its Nintendo games I'm tired of and ports.

Still worried about what MS and Sony will come out with next so I'm in a wait a see mood at the moment.
Its neat that you can play via the controller screen but using it while playing on a tv? Most the time just gonna be annoying IMO.

again "ZOMG LOOKIT DEES GWAFIX" is a gimmick too. There are plenty of games that look great and have no substance. Even so, playing stuff like Zombiu isn't annoying its pretty cool and it works naturally with the game. A lot of people talk about it being ported, but if it does it becomes a zombie FPS, without the gamepad the whole experience changes and it takes more then just a gimmick to do that.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:09 pm

Did i mention graphics? No just i don't want to be looking between screens when playing games. Its also why i think MS tablet thing is a waste of time. When im watching GoT on tv im not going to be looking at my phone pc to get extra info.

When it come to a controller i want to be able to use and never have to look at it while doing so hence why i said if i got one i would use the other pad.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:22 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote: Did i mention graphics? No just i don't want to be looking between screens when playing games. Its also why i think MS tablet thing is a waste of time. When im watching GoT on tv im not going to be looking at my phone pc to get extra info.

When it come to a controller i want to be able to use and never have to look at it while doing so hence why i said if i got one i would use the other pad.

No, you didn't but I was making a point that when the inevitable new consoles come out and offer these insane HD visuals, it'll be just as much of a gimmick because unless they want to spend half a billion dollars they're just going to be working on models, textures, filters and other visual aspects instead of gameplay. It'll be just as much of a gimmick as saying "We've got this controller"

watching TV isn't playing a game. You're thinking about it in terms of something else but its an experience all its own. For Ninja Gaiden I may as well have had the Pro controller because I never looked down once, but playing Zombiu I didn't put the controller down, I had it in front of me almost the whole time so that I could go into my bag and whip something out if I needed. Its one of those things yo need to try because all the examples you keep giving are way off how it actually works.

Its completely true its not for every game, there are plenty that are just plain better with the Pro but its not just some gimmick "look a map" type thing. It can be used for a lot more.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:28 pm

I know it can be used for more and the MS thing is not just for TV shows that was just the example i used because MS went on about it during E3.

A gaming example is both the Wii U tablet and the MS smartglass can be used on Fifa 13. If I'm playing on a tv screen why would i want to keep quickly looking down at another screen to change formation or anything like that while the match is in play?

It will work[and work well] for some game but if i got the wiiU i can see me mainly using the tablet when playing on that rather than a TV]
Last edited by Who Really Cares? on Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:30 pm

Not every game needs analog sticks still. Just saying.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:33 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:Don't remember when the biggest games on ps3 were full auto 2 and Ridge Racer 7 (which were just full auto and ridge racer 6 ported over).

I wasn't saying no system has ever been like that, just that I cease to care about a system until there's something truly new and worthwhile on it. As it is right now, WiiU is just set to be a PS3/360 with a touchpad.
The excitement I see people developing over that doesn't make any sense to me.
All I was saying is that I'm waiting to get excited until I see something new, exclusive, and interesting. And right now, almost nothing on it fits that criteria for me.

OL has received a thanks from: Who Really Cares?
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:36 pm

Wii U is quite more powerful than PS3 & 360
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:24 pm

OL wrote:
Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:Don't remember when the biggest games on ps3 were full auto 2 and Ridge Racer 7 (which were just full auto and ridge racer 6 ported over).

I wasn't saying no system has ever been like that, just that I cease to care about a system until there's something truly new and worthwhile on it. As it is right now, WiiU is just set to be a PS3/360 with a touchpad.
The excitement I see people developing over that doesn't make any sense to me.
All I was saying is that I'm waiting to get excited until I see something new, exclusive, and interesting. And right now, almost nothing on it fits that criteria for me.

You're basically just saying "a console with a touchpad" then if thats the case yea wiiu is a console with a touchpad. I've played games that don't use it, I've played games that have, the fact that the games that are ports are better and the games that are exclusive are fun and use the touchpad in an interesting way is why people are excited.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Dorian » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:26 pm

Just stop making a big deal out of the fact that Wii U ports are better. No shit, Sherlock? It would be news if they were worse. They have a more powerful hardware and a shitload of feedback from users of the original versions. It's obvious they are going to make the games better. They would have been eaten alive if they didn't.

Dorian has received a thanks from: Axm
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Currently playing: stuff

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:51 pm

Dorian wrote: Just stop making a big deal out of the fact that Wii U ports are better. No shit, Sherlock? It would be news if they were worse. They have a more powerful hardware and a shitload of feedback from users of the original versions. It's obvious they are going to make the games better. They would have been eaten alive if they didn't.

i'm not trying to, I'm not even buying most of the ports (I'm getting ninja gaiden and darksiders, but zombiu, rayman and nintendoland are the ones i really want) everyone else keeps talking about the ports not me.

plus the PS3 got a lot of ports that weren't as good as the original version on 360 ;)
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:52 pm

Madden 13 is missing it's biggest selling point this year on Wii U. The physics engine.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming