Wii U

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Wii U

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:11 pm

Played it? No but i watched the 10 minute gameplay at E3 and again its not me hating on the game just saying thats not the type of game i would buy a new console for or buy at full price.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:13 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote: Played it? No but i watched the 10 minute gameplay at E3 and again its not me hating on the game just saying thats not the type of game i would buy a new console for or buy at full price.

Which I totally understand and respect, but I've played it, and its not the kind of game you'd spend 15$ for on XBLA/PSN. I wouldn't pay full price either but if I saw it for 40$ I'd be all over it.

(I don't think consumers and developers have a good idea of value.3D dot game heroes came out and was awesome, but because it was 40$ people figured it had dropped because it wasn't good. This was also a major issue for Gungrave: Overdose when it came out.)
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Axm » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:33 pm

Ok so its $300 for 8gb and $350 for the 32gb?
Is that expandable some how?
Seems ok I guess for patches and dlc. I would of expected alittle more for downloadable games and videos. I guess it was fine for 360 back in '05 so I guess it can still work. Hope I can plug in my external HDD though. Seems like they are taking the route 360 and ps3 did with low hdd's at first. Cause ill get mine about a year or so from now I wonder if the hdd will be upgraded in the future.
Its not a big deal for me. Just curious.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:37 pm

Axm wrote: Ok so its $300 for 8gb and $350 for the 32gb?
Is that expandable some how?
Seems ok I guess for patches and dlc. I would of expected alittle more for downloadable games and videos. I guess it was fine for 360 back in '05 so I guess it can still work. Hope I can plug in my external HDD though. Seems like they are taking the route 360 and ps3 did with low hdd's at first. Cause ill get mine about a year or so from now I wonder if the hdd will be upgraded in the future.

Up to 3TB is supported. I've got a spare 500GB HDD that i'll hook up to it.

Back in 05 MS has a size limit tat was craaaazy small at first it was 32mb, then went up to 64, then 512 and eventually had to be removed. (the idea was games had to fit on a memory card)

I wonder what kind of onboard flash memory it is though.

With how things are now that 32gb would disappear quick.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Yukupo » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:44 pm

Yeah I think it's kinda worthless they're even having an 8GB model. The basic model is silly but I guess they want a model to say they launched at 299. It does kind of suck for those who want it in white but realize the black one is a better deal. (Me) It's not that big of a deal but I would have rather just had two identical models with different colors.

Yukupo has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Yukupo
Digital Artist
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Bluecast » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:54 pm

You guys forget that with that 32GB of memory you can add up to 32 more with a SD card. So you ca have a total of 64GB flash memory as well as a 3TB HDD. That's more than you will ever need for the console.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:01 pm

The 8GB is most likely just so people have enough space for stuff like Netflix and 6 years worth of updates and patches.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Bluecast » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:06 pm

Wii was twice the power of GCN and Xbox 360 & PS3 had 6x the power. In the shortrun Nintendo had the right idea. Slightly more advanced current gen hardware but unique features. MS & Sony stumbled esp Sony bumbled and were bleeding money. In the long run MS turned out ok not so sure about Sony still. Say what you want about Wii Library but it sold nearly 100 Million units. Like it not that is a success. It also hurt Nintendo in the long run for being under powered because 3rd parties wanted less limits. I can't imagine Skyrim on Wii :lol: ...tho we got Xenoblade.

Wii U is super ram heavy and in that department blows 360 & PS3 away by a long shot. Wii U also has a GPGPU instead of a regular GPU. Meaning it's going to be doing multiple applications of software at the same time. As for total power we don't know for sure but been estimated at about 2X what we have now. Maybe more maybe less.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Bluecast » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:29 pm

Here's the list of games Nintendo currently has listed on their site as launching the same day as Wii U:

Rayman Legends
Black Ops 2
Assassin’s Creed III
ZombiU
Mass Effect 3: Special Edition
Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition
TEKKEN TAG TOURNAMENT 2
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
Rabbids Land
Just Dance 4
Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
MADDEN NFL 13
NBA 2K13
TRANSFORMERS PRIME
Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2013
Game Party Champions
ESPN Sports Connection
Darksiders II
Nintendo Land
New Super Mario Bros. U

Pretty good. Better than the last 3 console launches.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:34 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkdqL2rhWns[/youtube]

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:37 pm

Dorian wrote:
OL wrote:
Dorian wrote:Yes, they are idiots and they make the economy as shitty as it is with their over-blown egos and pettiness.

Erm... buying things actually works in favor of the economy...

That's one of the biggest logical fallacies of our age. Buying expensive products of enormous corporations doesn't help the economy. The said corporations use cheap labour despite setting high prices and they accumulate wealth instead of letting in spread evenly throughout the world.

The part you're glossing over is that these products aren't distributed as much through the company itself, but rather through third-party vendors, all of whom employ vast amounts of people in a huge number of places. And as these overly-expensive products continue to sell, these third-party vendors continue making money for themselves, thus leading to the expantion of their operations, employing even more people as they go.
Regardless of what the product is, the sale of just about anything through a local store will benefit the economy. People are quick to demonize the rich just for being successful, but they wouldn't have that success without an extremely expansive network of people working under them, both in and outside of their own companies.
It's not just a force of shirtless slave labor turning a crank underground somewhere.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:51 pm

Yeaaaa but distributors make a very small piece of the pie. Retail and shipment workers often make minimum wage or slightly above, even if they were pulling in tons of money, not much of it makes it down to middle class workers. In order to spend more money those are the people that need to have disposable income.

The other problem with what you've said is that unemployment rates are going up.

The vast majority of the money being made on stuff like iphones, ipads, heck even consoles and sneakers isn't getting put back into the American economy(or even Europeon), and aren't helping to build South American, African or the Chinese economy. Its a lot of rich people putting money in their pockets.

Game companies are the same, if a big publisher fails and loses money, executives don't take a pay cut, they make layoffs even if the reason for failure was an executive decision.

Big business demonizes itself, doesn't really need much help.

(if you need proof theres tons of articles and lawsuits against walmart, gamestop and other retailers over cost of living)

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: Dorian
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:06 pm

What many people overlook at these chinese factories is that much like US Miners in the 1800's they are owned by the company housed on company property and only paid in company currency which they can spend at the company shop. Why the Ernie Ford song. I know MS & Nintendo deal with these companies as well but apple just straight shrugs it off like they don;t give a shit. Apple is 1984. Being successful is one thing but Apple is as dirty as it gets.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIfu2A0ezq0[/youtube]

Bluecast has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:16 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:Yeaaaa but distributors make a very small piece of the pie. Retail and shipment workers often make minimum wage or slightly above, even if they were pulling in tons of money, not much of it makes it down to middle class workers. In order to spend more money those are the people that need to have disposable income.

The other problem with what you've said is that unemployment rates are going up.

The vast majority of the money being made on stuff like iphones, ipads, heck even consoles and sneakers isn't getting put back into the American economy(or even Europeon), and aren't helping to build South American, African or the Chinese economy. Its a lot of rich people putting money in their pockets.

Game companies are the same, if a big publisher fails and loses money, executives don't take a pay cut, they make layoffs even if the reason for failure was an executive decision.

Big business demonizes itself, doesn't really need much help.

(if you need proof theres tons of articles and lawsuits against walmart, gamestop and other retailers over cost of living)

It's a subject with so many ins and outs that one could debate on it all day and get nowhere, really.
My main point is only that the creation and distribution of these products isn't what hurts an economy.
Corporations don't just make money and sit on it. They spend it in other areas and attempt to grow. And for that, they end up needing more workers and more points of distribution.
Unemployment rates are rising for other reasons entirely, most of them government-related.
Nothing is as simple as the rich hording money and laying people off. Even if that were the case, it would never last, since eventually these big, evil tycoons would be all alone on their thrones made of dollar bills with no one to bring them their dinner. It just doesn't work like that.

Which topic was this again?
(sorry, that's my fault)
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:17 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkdqL2rhWns[/youtube]

:rotflmao: That was pure gold! He is so good with that character
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming