Gaming thoughts of the day

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

Postby Dorian » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:33 pm

I've run into a VF pro in VF5FS. I won only a few times. Sadly, the guy abuses frames like mad. It takes a great deal of knowledge about the game to do that, but it's easy per se since VF5FS has too much frame data shenanigans that can lead to constant staggering and/or bounding because of unfair move priorities for certain chars (fucking Jacky). It's just a matter of checking out which chars have broken frames and abusing them.

Plus this:
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: stuff

Postby OL » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:44 am

So two separate thoughts on a couple of related games here:

Aksys is making a new printing of 999 with a new cover. The reason is that the creators want to include both 999 and the upcoming Virtue's Last Reward inder the same series banner of "Zero Escape," so aside from being a completely different bit of artwork, the new cover also reflects that decision with a Zero Escape logo in the top right corner.

Just the crazy collector in me, but this is the only time I can think of where I'll be buying a second copy of a videogame just for a different cover. :lol:

Second thought is pretty bitter though; Aksys finally decided to do a preorder bonus for Virtue's Last Reward in the form of a new replica watch (just like they did with 999), but the bonus was restricted only to Amazon.com, and was sold out in a single fucking day.

As someone who waited quite a long time before preordering just to make sure they weren't doing a bonus incentive, then going ahead and ordering BOTH the Vita and 3DS versions (that's 80 fucking dollars) at Gamestop as a show of support to both Aksys and the series itself... I'm pretty goddamn pissed about it.
Signed up at Aksys.com just to leave a not-so-happy comment about it, hoping that, as a smaller company that actually listens to its fans, they might either extend the bonus to other vendors or sell them individually (like with the 999 watches).
I know that it's just a bonus trinket and the game itself is the real incentive to buying it, but I'm supporting the hell out of this game (as I also did with 999 previously), so it feels like a big 'ol slap in the face for them to limit this thing to a single website during a tiny little window of time.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:38 am

Found an amazing channel on youtube, that is, if you like shmups. The show is called Bullet Heaven.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-IYayykyaI[/youtube]

Check it out, doesn't have nearly enough views for how good it is.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:33 pm

Finished Nuts & Bolts today.

Well I've got 95 out of the 130 Jiggies but i beat the main game and now just have to clean up.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Dorian » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:14 pm

Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Sonikku » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:47 pm

Yeah. Sony is all like "The gamers wanted more value, so when we looked at this cheaper to mass produce playstation, we figured why not charge more". :lol: I disagree with some of that guys points however. Claiming that all will be fine and dandy for Microsoft with their upcoming Windows 8 release is a stretch, beta users have been more critically scathing of the OS more so than Vita. Though things do look a little bit gloomy for Sony as he points out. Nothing but red ink for four years straight? 5 billion+ lost this year alone? Almost every division taking on losses? Crippled PR and promotional PR going into holidays with slumping PS3 and Vita sales? ouch. I'm sure they'll "persist" in some form in the years to come, but I feel bad for Ridge Racer boy. It's like being offered the captain seat on the Titanic right after the last guy piloted it straight into an iceberg.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Dorian » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:01 pm

Sonikku wrote:It's like being offered the captain seat on the Titanic right after the last guy piloted it straight into an iceberg.

An iceberg? Sony gets it the ass without vaseline because the times are hard economically. People just don't have the fucking cash to spend on all these expensive hardwares. The iceberg is for everybody, not just Sony. We'll see who lives and who goes down. Playing with crystal balls is boring.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:18 pm

hypehypehypehypehypehpyeonepiecepiratewarriorshypehypehypehypehypehype

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0ov2ZIgC88[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-JdqiJA1rg[/youtube]

hypehypehypehypehypehpyeonepiecepiratewarriorshypehypehypehypehypehype

Can you tell I'm hyped?

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: OL
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Sonikku » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:04 pm

Dorian wrote:
Sonikku wrote:It's like being offered the captain seat on the Titanic right after the last guy piloted it straight into an iceberg.

An iceberg? Sony gets it the ass without vaseline because the times are hard economically. People just don't have the fucking cash to spend on all these expensive hardwares. The iceberg is for everybody, not just Sony. We'll see who lives and who goes down. Playing with crystal balls is boring.

It might be hard times, but the economy is not at fault for the PS3 being sold for $600, twice what it's predecessor cost. That was just Sony's attempt at trojan horsing another one of their products into peoples homes to dominate home video in addition to gaming. That kind of greed backfired however and not even the economy can take all the blame. It can't any more than it can take the blame for Sony making the choice of forcing high priced proprietary jacks and accessories for all their electronics or charging significantly more for their televisions than their competition that offer increasingly competitive quality and features by the year. I know it's hip to chalk up all failures in business to the economy, but there does come a point where personal responsibility comes into play. If a business adapts and has good leadership with foresight a company can find opportunity even in hard times.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Dorian » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:33 pm

Sonikku wrote:It might be hard times, but the economy is not at fault for the PS3 being sold for $600, twice what it's predecessor cost. That was just Sony's attempt at trojan horsing another one of their products into peoples homes to dominate home video in addition to gaming. That kind of greed backfired however and not even the economy can take all the blame. It can't any more than it can take the blame for Sony making the choice of forcing high priced proprietary jacks and accessories for all their electronics or charging significantly more for their televisions than their competition that offer increasingly competitive quality and features by the year. I know it's hip to chalk up all failures in business to the economy, but there does come a point where personal responsibility comes into play. If a business adapts and has good leadership with foresight a company can find opportunity even in hard times.

That was ages ago. It has nothing to do with the current situation. Actually, that was before the crisis hit. Right before it. I have no idea where this bullshit about Sony is coming from. Almost everybody is in tough spot right now. All this doomsday talk in regards to Sony is funny because I've heard it before many times. They're making retarded decisions as everybody else. I don't love them, I don't hate them. I will need them, as million others around the world. Sony is here to stay.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Sonikku » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:16 pm

I'm not sure charging $600 for a console is smart sense even in the best of economies, but in any event the recession was not enough to stop Sony from charging more for their latest variant of the system despite it being cheaper to mass produce than older variants. Nor has the recession stopped them from making price gouged proprietary items like with the memory cards for their Vita or continue to charge significantly more for their tv's when their competition that is rapidly catching up in quality. They still are high off their own fumes thinking that stuff is going to fly and will continue to do so forever without change. But this is all beside the point. if you check my post a couple back I plainly said sony will still persist for years to come. I never said they wouldn't. All I said in my last post was not that they would go the way of the dodo, but that the economy is not solely to blame for their turn in fortunes.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:58 am

You know what sony has going for it?

One Piece

Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:11 am

^^You fucker. :lol:
I keep trying to decide whether I should import it right now or wait a while. Hyped to play it either way, even despite never having seen the show.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:33 am

OL wrote: ^^You fucker. :lol:
I keep trying to decide whether I should import it right now or wait a while. Hyped to play it either way, even despite never having seen the show.

I've been watching the show all day and when i finally broke down and looked at the gameplay I saw it had some aspects similar to Naruto storm and the one piece cruise games so I'm MEGAHYPED. Its a big dumb beat em up with some extra dumbness for good measure.

Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:24 am

Dorian wrote: People just don't have the fucking cash to spend on all these expensive hardwares. The iceberg is for everybody, not just Sony. We'll see who lives and who goes down. Playing with crystal balls is boring.

See, I agree, but some semi-premium/premium manufacturers have actually been doing really well in recent years (Apple comes to mind for the electronics side, and their markups are a wet dream to Sony.)...

PS3 is still, more or less, a "toy" though, and Apple products can at least be used by and marketed to everyone, so unfortunately I think they will be "hit" in some big way (though won't go under.). When something that was once so mighty falls, it's gonna make a pretty big bang too...
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming