Gaming thoughts of the day

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:02 am

Just happens a lot in general these days. its like everyone has an idea to make a series more marketable, and a lot of people hate on stuff because it doesn't fit into their blue sky idea of what the series should be.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Bluecast » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:06 am

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: Just happens a lot in general these days. its like everyone has an idea to make a series more marketable, and a lot of people hate on stuff because it doesn't fit into their blue sky idea of what the series should be.

The upside is and while marginal is something to hang on to,does not always work. Shadowrun anyone? Bomberman,Final Fight PS2,Space Invaders PS2 as a few examples. Then sometimes it does. RE series.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:14 am

Well all of those games were meant to appeal to people that weren't originally their target audience. People who played an RPG on Sega CD weren't going to go nuts for an FPS thats multiplayer only. Then theres stuff like RE 6, which isn't such a great RE game, and the things that make it not such a great shooter are the things they claim are important to Resident Evil.

Its like FF13, which has every cliche and popular plotline in it. Nothing about that game is original, its like they made a game based on a survey. Most people say that its hated on for being different and that being a final Fantasy game hurts it, but looking back, the only reason I even played was because it was Final Fantasy. If not for that I think I'd have quit an hour in.

Whats funny about that is that I'm playing a super linear game in Zil O'll and loving it. Just goes to show, what could be a detractor in one game, could be really good for another.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:23 am

Outside of Ys I don't have any attachment to name in a RPG series. I honestly just go to what looks interesting. Not trying to sound high and mighty just being honest. Also I don't really care if something is original or old hat,just as long as it's well done and in that sense I agree FF13 isn't. It's not bad it's just not good. It's not Infinite Undiscovery but it's not IMO too much better. Xenoblade & TLS were kinda cliche as well in some regards. XB esp in Teenager is the chosen one and saves the world and Zael is the chosen one. However they execute so much so well and in my opinion TLS does a lot more new ideas or combines ideas in a fresh way more than XB did.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:35 am

Yea but its not like 13 lol.

It hits like every ciche you can think of without deviation. Sacrifice, chosen ones, the classes, the personalities the backstory. I mean I don't think thats terrible, its not like Valkyria Chronicles doesn't hit a ton of cliches itself, but its presented in such an interesting way. Plus the premise itself is interesting in context.

Its like, the other day my room mate told me "Final Fantasy is stale it should just die" to which I responded "The problem with 13 wasn't that it was the same game as 6, its that it was wholly different from 12. We don't have 14 games that play the same. If you made Final Fantasy 1-12 games with different names (which is sort of true since we have gamess like rudra no hihou, SaGa etc that got their start as a Final Fantasy) would people believe fully that turn based RPGs need to die?
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:44 am

Nah they should not die no more than Military FPS should die. I may not like them but does not mean a genre should die. I don't like any genre to doe and don't like a series to die if it can still produce. FF is too big to die but it can take take a few year hiatus and re tool. I know you will shoot me for this but a series that is very cliche and very stale to me is the Tales series. Ugh. I snatch these games up and then pay them and the demo's because I keep wanting to like it and then it throws in my face why JRPG's are so hated these days

Bluecast has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:49 am

I don't disagree, i liked Graces BECAUSE of how shit it was lol.

I'm kinda annoyed they didn't just make the game about two gay guys also. Theres like 10x more chemistry between the protagonist and antagonist then the female lead.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:59 am

Looking forward to get Wake up on Vita next week. Wanted to get Anarchy Riens this week but money is tight.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby KiBa » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:07 am

Genrism is one of the biggest problems today. It should be illegal to not play a genre you don't like. We need affirmative action for gamers to give underrepresented genre's a chance. Break through plastic wrap ceilings!
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:35 am

Dear god at those 360 numbers in the US for Christmas :shock: How the hell is it still selling so well?

I know its got a great back log of games but for me last year was one of the weaker years of this gen. Is the $99 sub thing doing really well or something??
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby KiBa » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:37 am

New people are born, you put them in water and they grow, and eventually they want what the big boys have.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Bluecast » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:38 am

Kiba's been eating those rancid old pickles again.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:55 am

Xenoblade's clichéd, yes, but the dialogue for the English dub is possibly the most original I've seen/heard in a JRPG.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:40 am

So... this exists.

ImageImage

Vyse Hazuky has received 5 thanks from: Axm, Bluecast, OL, Segata Sanshiro Jr., wude
Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

Postby Sonikku » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:10 pm

Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming