Gaming thoughts of the day

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

Postby Dorian » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:01 am

ThyDarkAngel wrote:I will go as far as to say, fuck day one overpriced on disc dlc and drm, console reliability (or rather, lack of) is the fucking worse thing that happened this generation.

Exactly. I couldn't agree more. This shit is annoying as hell even if you're loaded because it's too much of a hassle with re-downloading everything. But really, normal people can't fucking afford all this crap, and even with that aside, it's just absurd to produce such unreliable hardware.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: stuff

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:06 am

If next gen will end up the same, I really REALLY will change my modus operandi in what gaming is concerned.
I will have to rethink a lot of things.
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby Dorian » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:09 pm

BTW, TDA. You could get that SLIM repaired relatively cheap and if the right tech service is chosen, the console may work for another 2-3 years.

I know you probably just want a new one and I understand it, but... Heh, it's really bad that people are throwing away all these broken hardware nowadays. The environmental issue is just one of those born out of it.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:10 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1wVlEBvGTA[/youtube]

:D Looking forward to this.

Wow, didn't even know that was being remade. Original is one of my favourite games, I remember it had some decent humour in it too...
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:16 pm

Re: the shitty hardware comments above. I agree, but it generally seems to be the way that a lot of stuff that "normal" people use is built down to a price, unfortunately, so can see the next gen being just as bad...
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Dorian » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:29 pm

With X360 and PS3, it's a design fault.

The parts used emit too much heat for such tightly-packed hardware and the soldering used is SHIT. Actually, no soldering should be used in such devices. It should be pin-based.

SLIMs are a scam. I was told this by a person who earns a living by repairing HD consoles and has a special EU certificate for working with motherboards.

Yes, they've made the CPU and GPU smaller so they should emit less heat, right? Right, but they are making the ventilation system smaller at the same time so it's back to square one in the end.

Generally speaking, SLIMs live between 2 and 4 years, depending on many factors, including the temperature fluctuation in your room.

Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby south carmain » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:30 pm

Dorian wrote: Generally speaking, SLIMs live between 2 and 4 years, depending on many factors, including the temperature fluctuation in your room.

well that's my paranoia skyrocketing
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Dorian » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:32 pm

All this drama is about the solder joints breaking randomly. If even one of them breaks, the console can't boot and gives you YLOD/RROD/whatever they're calling it now.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Calshot » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:37 pm

ThyDarkAngel wrote:Got Monster Hunter Tri and Mad World to play for the next couple weeks.

Anyone that actually plays the Wii wants to share Friend Codes? Ambassador thingie anyone??
And will be a kind enough person to explain me how they actually work?

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/sup ... l?id=15018

Only someone with a Wii in your region can do the Ambassador thing with you. I'm not even sure the promotion is still going on.

I've been wanting Monster Hunter Tri for awhile. If I can scrounge up the money, we could play online together.
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:18 pm

Dorian wrote: With X360 and PS3, it's a design fault.

The parts used emit too much heat for such tightly-packed hardware and the soldering used is SHIT. Actually, no soldering should be used in such devices. It should be pin-based.

SLIMs are a scam. I was told this by a person who earns a living by repairing HD consoles and has a special EU certificate for working with motherboards.

Yes, they've made the CPU and GPU smaller so they should emit less heat, right? Right, but they are making the ventilation system smaller at the same time so it's back to square one in the end.

Generally speaking, SLIMs live between 2 and 4 years, depending on many factors, including the temperature fluctuation in your room.

That all comes under the "stuff's built down to a price these days" argument. And more than likely, instead of testing it in house, they just release the product onto the market and let the early adopters do the "hot test" for them. I'd go as far to say that not many things are "properly" engineered anymore, unfortunately. It doesn't help that everything is a "race" now to add more features, meaning that a whole host of complex and fairly highly stressed components are all built as cheap as possible, which as one can imagine, isn't a great mix. I'm a process engineer working in a repair centre (it doesn't do 360s or PS3s though), so see a lot of it up close. I mean I knew it before, pretty much, but was still quite shocked at the extent of it when I saw it properly.
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Dorian » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:32 pm

St. Elmo's Fire wrote:That all comes under the "stuff's built down to a price these days" argument. And more than likely, instead of testing it in house, they just release the product onto the market and let the early adopters do the "hot test" for them. I'd go as far to say that not many things are "properly" engineered anymore, unfortunately. It doesn't help that everything is a "race" now to add more features, meaning that a whole host of complex and fairly highly stressed components are all built as cheap as possible, which as one can imagine, isn't a great mix. I'm a process engineer working in a repair centre (it doesn't do 360s or PS3s though), so see a lot of it up close. I mean I knew it before, pretty much, but was still quite shocked at the extent of it when I saw it properly.

The saddest thing is that they knew about it very well. They just decided to fuck everybody over. The new SLIM model? It's not a coincidence. The previous SLIMs are old enough to start breaking so Sony needed a new model on the market for those who will be pretty much forced to buy new consoles. Believe it or not, but this is how things go behind the curtains.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:37 pm

The ventilation system in the original line of 360s looks fucking homemade. Still can't get over how retarded it is.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby lavrentis » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:39 pm

Got my DC. £20 and its in good nick, fully working with controller and VMU so I guess it's not bad value.

lavrentis has received 2 thanks from: Dorian, St. Elmo's Fire
lavrentis
Shenmue - THE best game
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Dorian » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:47 pm

I have 700 Wii Points and I'm pissed...

Rondo of Blood is 900 and Ys Book I & II is 800... ](*,)
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:06 pm

"Engineered obsolescence" is there as well, since I don't know that much about the console/PC side of things I won't comment (plus they live or die on software), but it's getting more and more common that simply stopping software/support, even if something still works, is effectively "forcing" upgrades nowadays.
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming