The Elder Scrolls

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: The Elder Scrolls

Postby KiBa » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:42 am

It is for me, thankfully. Just installed 1.4. I had doubted Bethesda's ability to fix it, but upon starting a new game, it was immediately noticeable. Very smooth. Even in areas that I didn't notice lag before, now I see just how laggy it was. They did a great job. Now I can finally get into it.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Luvly KM » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:14 pm

Love reading all the nonfiction books, it really paints your actions with colour. Some exceptional ones:

Rislav the righteous (detailing the rise of the first empire)
the argonian account (a motorcycle diary of a trip to black marsh)
the ruins of kemel ze
the monomyth (religious conjecture/the birth of existence)
disaster: report on ionlith (a failed attempt to invade akavir !!!)

It pains me that most people dont read them... The world seems mediocre without them!!
Luvly KM
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Perfect_Chaos » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:20 am

perfect_chaos wrote:I took the 160 gb HDD out my PS3 and put in a 120 gb SSD. the game now runs flawlessly!!! smooth as shit. the lag is completely gone! \:D/ i had to take a 40gb cut cus of the price of SSD's but theres no way i could fill up 120GBs anyways. skyrim and all of my other games now load, save, and install much much faster. even if your not having lag problems with skyrim on ps3 i would still recomend getting an SSD drive for your PS3 (or 360)

KiBa wrote:It is for me, thankfully. Just installed 1.4. I had doubted Bethesda's ability to fix it, but upon starting a new game, it was immediately noticeable. Very smooth. Even in areas that I didn't notice lag before, now I see just how laggy it was. They did a great job. Now I can finally get into it.

FUCK! i spent 230 dollars on that SSD just so i could play skyrim lag free. then a few weeks later they fix it with a patch. i really didnt think they were gonna be able to fix it. im still happy with my SSD since my ps3 is better overall now but...fuck.....230 dollars........ ](*,)
Perfect_Chaos
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Bluecast » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:05 am

Luvly KM wrote:Love reading all the nonfiction books, it really paints your actions with colour. Some exceptional ones:

the ruins of kemel ze

It pains me that most people dont read them... The world seems mediocre without them!!

Sounds like you need to expand your palette of RPGs
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Luvly KM » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:34 am

Ryudo wrote:
Luvly KM wrote:Love reading all the nonfiction books, it really paints your actions with colour. Some exceptional ones:

the ruins of kemel ze

Sounds like you need to expand your palette of RPGs

Are you suggesting reading lore denotes a narrow RPG repertoire. In what way?
Luvly KM
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Bluecast » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:37 pm

I'm not a fucking woman. So when I say something it doesn't have some hidden insane meaning. When I say something it means what I said.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:49 pm

He just asked a question. Not sure that really merits getting snippy about it.
To be honest, I don't really understand why reading and enjoying that stuff would indicate that he needs to play more RPGs either.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:52 pm

OL wrote:He just asked a question. Not sure that really merits getting snippy about it.
To be honest, I don't really understand why reading and enjoying that stuff would indicate that he needs to play more RPGs either.

She.

Nothing it just means play more RPG's. The palette I have seen posted in this forum is rather limited. Also about the lore of the world. Some RPG's the world is the story. No hidden lore needed. So..play more RPG's. Snippy? Nah. Mad? Nah. Just fucking blunt as a bastard. And also groggy from just having been 5 days in intensive care but not angry. If I were that I would call for DONKEY!
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Tuffty » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:01 pm

Surely reading the books adds to the lore if anything? Some of the books even recall events that happened in previous Elder Scrolls games and how they've shaped the world as it is now, a nice little nod of the head towards long standing fans. Also, while you don't necessarily have to read the books to understand things like the Daedra or long standing tensions between factions or races (mostly cause it's told through dialogue or events), it's nice that there is that option to read up more about it if I should stumble upon a book that explains how Talos became so revered amongst the Nords, as an example. And from the books I've read, they're all well written too.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby KiBa » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:14 pm

the ruins of kemel ze

Agreed. Ever read The Exodus? The ending is great.

perfect_chaos wrote:i spent 230 dollars on that SSD just so i could play skyrim lag free. then a few weeks later they fix it with a patch. i really didnt think they were gonna be able to fix it. im still happy with my SSD since my ps3 is better overall now but...fuck.....230 dollars........ ](*,)

Nobody will have as good performance as you with your new SSD, so I wouldn't worry about. $230 is worth it. Even with the patch it's not perfect, so the SSD is still awesome.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Bluecast » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:19 pm

I was just saying when I was under heavy drugs but not clear. There is RPG's where the world itself is the story and huge ones to boot and make it that much better and no hidden reading needed.
Yeah lore can be fun as when playing Metroid Prime series while not an RPG the story and lore is hidden in objects you scan read and piece together.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Tuffty » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:54 pm

Normally I would agree with you. FFXIII really did have hidden lore that could only be unlocked by clearing monster hunts which I think should have definately been incorporated into the actual story somehow cause that background stuff was kinda neat. Skyrim's a different beast though. It's so open ended from the very beginning that player's experiences are vastly different from each other. Some want to go through the story, the side quests and absorb every detail that the world can throw at them, whereas others are content to dick about and not engage in any of the actual story or history whatsoever, and it's just as valid. It's down to how you want to approach and how you get your enjoyment out of Skyrim.

So while I agree with you that certain worlds can be better fleshed out through narrative and what not, I just don't think that argument holds with a game like Skyrim.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:57 pm

Was not arguing about Skyrim. Just was pointing out if anyone wants to expand the pallet of open world games esp when the world is the story they are out there. I would name names but be a broken record by now. Some older some newer
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Luvly KM » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:31 pm

I certainly hear your point but i would say that such rpgs could still be 'deepened' by lore reading material. I mean it doesnt take away from the experience, it is only additive for those who want to delve... And in skyrims case (compared to most other w-rpg's games) the in game lore is presented logically as books!

i understand the argument of games should 'show, not tell' but reading material is neccassary when fleshing out the reality and history of the world... Books exist in our reality and so their appearance within Nirn paints the world/fiction with a brush of reality
Last edited by Luvly KM on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luvly KM
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:45 pm

Depends, finding a book and reading it is a pretty valid exposition. thats how we learn in real life, so logically if we wanted to study the history of another world that's what we'd do. "Seeing" applies more to things that directly impact the narrative. (one thing that made Nier and Lost Odyssey so interesting were the parts where you stop playing and start reading)

If you read and were expected to believe that the dark brotherhood is an organization that happily delivers candy to orphans, there'd be a problem. They most certainly aren't, the information is false and their actions disprove it, if someone expected you to take those statements as fact they'd be a fool.

so it just depends on how its used. When you find "notes" about experiments that happen totally outside the game world and have no impact on the story (Dissidia 2) thats bad, when you find a book that actually gets into the history of the game world, good. Its not good to rely solely on "documents" but they can be helpful.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming