Assassins Creed Series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Assassins Creed Series

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:37 pm

^That's not really what it says. Just that it will have features that can be used in single player that would require being online. Most AC games have had some kind of online connectivity to whatever the Ubisoft server is but I've always just ignored it and never looked into it.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: OL
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:49 pm

Its kinda like Dark/Demon's souls kind of online i'm guessing, not like the new sims games and diablo 3
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Bluecast » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:27 pm

Can't I just buy my game go home play it and be left in peace? As in left alone.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:42 pm

Hopefully its the same deal as demon and dark where you can just choose to not log in.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Sonikku » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:55 pm

Creed is a game I see talked about so much on these boards that I'm beginning to regret passing on getting 1 and 2 for $5 each during the xbox live arcade download deal they had last week. Granted, between Starcraft 2/Arkam Asylum/Castlevania and Fallout Vegas I am probably back logged enough as it is.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby OL » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:34 am

Ryudo wrote: Can't I just buy my game go home play it and be left in peace? As in left alone.

Um... yes. If you'd read the link you posted, the guy specifically says that players can choose to simply play "single player" as opposed to "single connected player".
The option is there.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:36 am

Ryudo wrote: http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/05/repor ... le-player/

](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Always online connection to play just the single player

Going off the comments its something they have done before with Zombie U. You can still play off line so its not an issue. Unlike say the new Tomb Raider, If you download it off PSN you need to be connected to PSN to play it for some reason.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:32 am

Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Bluecast » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:11 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6knLTRVSRk8[/youtube]

They said it. Wind Waker is a big influence :D
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:48 am

Happy birthday Desmond!
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby OL » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:02 pm

I have to say it: despite whatever historical inaccuracies they may present, despite whatever glitches may remain in the final versions, whatever plot holes may have been glossed over, and despite whatever other problems people may complain about with them... I'm oddly kind of proud of the Assassin's Creed series.
You think about which series are the truly big names in western gaming these days, and names like Call of Duty or Madden will obviously spring to mind; games which present a greater focus on social interaction and competitiveness, rather than on their single-player campaigns.
But AC is an odd duck; while it has a unique multiplayer aspect, the greater focus is always on the single-player campaign. And even with that being the case, it's still a series that gets big press and is apparently popular enough to warrant tv commercials months before it's even set to be released.
That's impressive to me.
Hurrah for single-player campaigns, and hurrah for the AC series.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:53 pm

Many western series popular that are not the likes of Cod. Portal is a fantastic series. Walking Dead was really good. Journey is quite different. Witcher series is great. AC has it's ups and downs and has milked itself quite heavy. Many DS games. 6 console games since 2007 and as mentioned multiple handheld games. The bugs and such it has fallen in many of the traps other series have from western devs. I'd argue the series I mentioned before have NOT fallen in any of those traps.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:20 am

Portal is only two games, with no others yet mentioned (and as slow/selective/picky as Valve are, it's not out of the question that they might never come back to it at all). The Walking Dead may have won best game at the Spike awards or whatever, but it's certainly not on the level of CoD's popularity and sales. Same thing for Journey; critical success (and surely it hasn't bombed sales-wise), but it's hard to really consider it a particularly stand-out "blockbuster".

I think you're just misunderstanding what I'm saying. I'm speaking specifically about the big names right now. The absolute giants.
Compare them to movies, and they'd be like The Dark Knight, or The Avengers. They've made so much money and have been bought into so much that it's hard to even comprehend just how many people have actually experienced them. It'd be an astronomical number if one could even figure out the total exposure they've gotten.
In gaming nowadays, the series that fit into that echelon would be the likes of CoD, Madden, Fifa... and, miraculously, Assassin's Creed.
I say you've misunderstood me because I'm not talking about some mark of quality; just a mark of success.
The Assassin's Creed series has been amazingly successful. So successful that I'm actually seeing adverts for Black Flag on tv already... and the game comes out in October. I've only ever seen that happen with CoD or sports games before, which is why I've said anything. And the fact that AC is primarily built as a single-player experience makes it stand out within that small group.
I suppose something like Uncharted might fit into that group as well, but I get the impression that AC is the far bigger property either way.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:32 am

Walking dead will be huge as they are making more esp when based on a popular series. Journey made it to the grammy's so yeah it's well known.Witcher series is to Skyrim what Dragon Quest is to Final Fantasy in western RPG's...seriously is huge now and getting bigger (both a pun on the series worlds and popularity). Portal might be 2 games but still a series. Huge series. Thinkgeek.com may as well be renamed Aperture store with all the merch they sell. Id even say Portal is the biggest series Valve has since Half Life.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:08 am

Actually, on second thought, I am forgetting Grand Theft Auto and the Elder Scrolls. I'd consider those in the same "financial giant" grouping as the others mentioned. So maybe AC isn't quite as special as I was thinking.
Still the games you keep mentioning are moot to this particular topic; all are hits, but none are mega-hits on the same level of what I'm talking about.
OL
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming