Journey

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Journey

Postby ys » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:29 pm

http://ps3.ign.com/objects/867/867592.html

I saw some people mention the game earlier when I searched the forums but couldn't find a separate topic.
Anyway, did anyone play this already? I just finished it and found it as amazing as reviews mentioned. I literally got the chills towards the end and was in awe. Something about it all was powerful to me (and lots of others). But it might not resonate with everyone I guess.

It is very short but there are full price games out there that are only 5-6 hours which would be comparable price wise.

My next playthrough will actually be with one of the random people that you meet in the desert. I disconnected the console eventually to be able to play alone the first time. What I did notice was that the travellers I met helped and tried to communicate with the beeps that you can use as "language". Very special and as reviews mentioned it creates some odd, "mystical" bond between players. Lots of them actually stick together and help out eachother during some parts.

ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Re: Journey

Postby shredingskin » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:43 pm

Great game that really feels like a journey in a different world. Can't say much about mechanics because I think that this may spoil the experience.

The only thing I can say about the game is at 2/3rds of the game mechanics became a little repetitive, but not much.

I really hope that most games will have this kind of approach, short experiences but very gratifying.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Spokane » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:49 pm

I saw the trailer the other day and it caught my attention a lot and that was the first I had ever heard or seen of it.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby ys » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:44 pm

I just replayed it together with someone which was a different experience. In the beginning some traveler I met did his own thing but later on me and someone else stuck together until the end.

The lack of normal communication actually gives it an extra dimension when you try to get what the other means. Right before the end of the game my companion beeped a last time as to say goodbye so I just replied with one too :P I won't spoil anything by mentioning details but given the context it was really cool.

At the end of the game you can see who you travelled with along with the symbol they had in game. I sent a message to the one who stuck around and got a reply thanking for the nice playthrough.

The online community seems quite laid back from what I've read. Some people had lost track of their companion and noticed him/her waiting minutes later at some other point. Chirping away to signal where to go, hehe.

@ Spokane, it is interesting if you go in knowing that it's more of an experience than a traditional game. Shorter in length too than standard games. This one is more towards being a normal game than their previous work though.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:28 am

As a fan of tgc I was obviously antecipating this game. While it certainly didn't disappoint, and it's amazing to see their fantastic progression since Cloud about 7 years ago, I was somewhat dissatisfied by how much it borrowed from Flower in terms of game progression, and how short the "journey" ends up being. I do very often go for walks that, while certainly not as emotional or eventful as this game (thankfully), certainly last a lot more. And while going for further playthroughs gives you a chance to see new things, it doesn't cease to be a retreading of a past experience.

Still, even if really quite short and not as innovative as I was expecting as far as mechanics go, it's certainly their best game yet and a fantastic experience, no doubt about that.
Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

Postby ys » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:30 am

Vyse Hazuky wrote:I was somewhat dissatisfied by how much it borrowed from Flower in terms of game progression, and how short the "journey" ends up being. I do very often go for walks that, while certainly not as emotional or eventful as this game (thankfully), certainly last a lot more.

That's my main gripe (albeit a small one) with the game, the length. I knew full well before buying that it's short and don't regret buying it at all of course. I even recommended it to some friends who like different games besides mainstream stuff. But unlike Flower where the length felt appropriate I really wanted this adventure to last longer because I liked it that much. Maybe because the gameplay is slightly different? Anyway, I've still gone through it a few times already.
Last edited by ys on Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:46 am

My guess is, they must have blown most of their time and resources on the beautiful animations and graphics technology and art direction. They are a small team, and even though I have no idea what their budget was like, what they accomplished is certainly a feat.

Although it's a bit sad that due to their length the aura they create is too fleeting, unlike some memorable games that you can recall playing through days on end, here it clearly can't be the case.

I also forgot to mention how the gameplay and music dynamic is so absolutely top notch. Even though this technology isn't exactly new (Windwaker, Shadow of the Colossus), it's certainly one of the best examples of its use. The lack of dialogue only heightens this dynamic atmosphere.
Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

Postby OL » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:25 pm

I'd love to play it, but y'know... digital distribution and all...
I think they should eventually put out a physical release with both Journey and Flower on it. I liked the demo for Flower. Figure I'd like this too.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby ys » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:15 am

To be honest OL, I'm just the same when it comes to digital distribution. I don't like where the industry is heading and would at the moment for example not buy new, big releases as download instead of getting a physical copy.

But for games like these I make an exception. I find it different since it's a smaller developer behind this who otherwise maybe wouldn't get the same chance of releasing a game. Pressing dvd's/blurays, manuals etc. is more costly and more of a risk for them considering the nature of the games. Let's say compared to a blockbuster like Final Fantasy or Call of Duty who practically know in advance that it will sells millions. So I don't feel bad supporting these slightly different game creators even if it's download only in this case.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:34 am

Sony might do it. flOw for the PSP came out on disc in a pseudocollection... plus other games like The Last Guy and Echochrome II came out as discs in some Asian regions.
Since Journey is being such a critical success, they might release all 3 tgc games in one package. Better yet would be all or some Sony 1st/2nd party games (Sony Japan Studio, Q Games, SCE L'pool, ...)
Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

Postby shredingskin » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:19 pm

I don't know why so much trouble with digital distribution, I'm from Argentina, I buy the code online from best buy and they mail me the code in an hour or so, even faster than going to a game shop.

I think they got help from the santa monica studio, so it's cool that sony is helping them to make the game.

Will the next game be DLC or a exclusive retail game ? I wonder what they could make with a bigger budget, I would love to see like a collection of game-stories, something like live a live but with different gameplay for each "chapter", but I guess their next game is still going to be a DLC game.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:31 am

The subtle, heart warming multiplayer component is powerful and boosts one of the more interesting concepts ever.
If only you had a longer, more creative and richer journey to support it...
Albeit a little over-used, the artstyle works and the ost is strong.

tgc is undergoing major changes. hope they survive and keep challenging the medium, with as distinct but bigger projects.
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: LOADING...

Return to General Gaming