Creepiest moments in gaming

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Creepiest moments in games that are not horror games

Postby Bluecast » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:28 pm

Metroid was inspired by Alien I believe. Alone and desolate surrounded by the deadliest things in the galaxy.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:36 pm

Shenmue II, after you find out whats REALLY going on with Yuan, and ultimately... Dou Niu 8-[ :throwup:

Since alot of Yuans parts were edited out of the english version, and they basically just made shim a girl. And then when you get hints that Dou Niu is in cahoots its like OMFG MY MIND /mind fucked. I remember the play through after I found out... yeah I was creeped and scared, oh so scared...

All of that which leads to the climactic question of, what was Yuan originally?
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Spokane » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:07 pm

That reminds me of what I find creepy in Shenmue.

In the first one the basement of the Hazuki residence creeps me out, I hated that part of the game, I never wanted to do it.

The second one the Ghost Hall building along with its music is creepy as fuck.

Beverly Hills Wharf at night is sort of freaky feeling wise.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Calshot » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:13 pm

^
Speaking of Shenmue...

Videos put in spoiler tags for the sake of my dinosaur computer.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZJCkNOV0pY[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOlm_WYCmhA[/youtube]

The first FREE theme I posted was a bit unnerving. Like if you were walking at night and you aren't sure what lies beyond the corner.
The second FREE theme is just straight out ominous.

Ryudo wrote:
The only ones that get me are the legs. Just legs of girls missing the body laughing at you as they attack you.

I hate these things. So much.

Not sure if this is a spoiler, but there's this one part in Fragile Dreams where
you have to play hide and seek with a ghost girl. She turns invisible and you "play" by hearing her giggling and saying things like "you can't catch me" louder and louder through the Wiimote speaker as you get closer to her hiding spot.

I think they meant it to be kind of playful; the little girl just playing games like she did when she was alive. In practice, it just turns out creepy.
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby Bluecast » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:22 pm

^ Agreed. I could say the hotel is the creepiest part period
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:28 am

Spokane wrote:In the first one the basement of the Hazuki residence creeps me out, I hated that part of the game, I never wanted to do it.

Really?
I think I had the exact opposite reaction. I always loved that part because it felt so... cozy in a way. It might have been dark down there, but I never felt to me like there was any sense of looming "threat" hanging over it... it just felt like an important investigation part, kind of sweet and sentimental in an odd way, since you're going through and learning new things about Ryo's dad. It's actually one of my favorite parts in either game.
I just find it interesting how two people can have such opposite reactions to something.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:55 am

I found the music that plays when you first go to Old Warehouse No. 8 creepy.

This music:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWXy0fQdqAk[/youtube]

I kept feeling like "what's going to happen now?"

This music is creepy too from Shenmue:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOlm_WYCmhA[/youtube]
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Spokane » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:16 pm

There are several places in Knights of the Old Republic. Lets start off with the Shadowlands of Kashyyyk the Wookie world. Especially the lower shadowlands where the Star Map computer is. The hologram thats projected from it freaked me out, the alien that its gatekeeper, because when I see it from afar it looks like a ghost. The whole place is just creepy and eerie.

Then there is the star map temple on Dantooine, that place is freaky as hell. Added with the soul moaning music in the background. Along with the droids guarding it that have been there tens of thousands of years and seeing the jedi from the temple recently killed. I always got the hell outta that place as fast as I could.

The expedition to the star map on Manaan is creepy, the whole underwater base is creepy and the whole mystery behind what made the local Selkath go mad. Then going out to the map itself especially if you decided to let the giant shark live, its there staring at you the whole time.

One last place I can think of is the temple on the planet near the Star Forge. It not only looks creepy as fuck on the inside its littered with Sith. I always hated that part of the game too. Thats one good reason to save Juhani at the beginning of the game even if your going for the dark side, because she comes with you into that temple along with Jolee.

Edit: Oh yeah, Undercity Taris with the rakghouls. And the sewers into the Black Vulker base.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:38 am

I think the whole Assari Monastery mission in Mass Effect 3 was creepy as heck. It was dark and quiet with the lights out and bodies littered about with their attacker no where in sight. Then you hear those blood curdling Banshee screams! :shock:
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Spokane » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:52 am

May as well go onto KOTOR 2. The whole Paragus area at the very beginning was freaky. Everyone dead at the station but you and Atton and the old witch Kreia. Then the freaky as fuck Darth Sion shows up in a republic cruiser full of dead bodies you have to get on and fight these assassins that come out of nowhere using invisible generators.

The planet Korriban and the Sith academy is the creepiest place in the whole game I think though. Abandoned since the first game, littered with dead bodies and the scene of some freaky ass force visions and flashbacks for the main character.

The planet at the end is also freaky, Malachor V and the storm beasts.

Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:57 am

I remember that. I thought it was neat just before entering the academy when more of those sith assassins came out of stealth but instead of attacking you like they had done all game, they actually get the hint and keel before you out of respect for your power as you walk towards the entrance.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby KiBa » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:41 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0apuUka4xsU[/youtube]
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby OL » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:18 pm

It might seem like nothing now, but this level seemed pretty creepy way back in '98 when the game first came out. The big-headed, twirly-armed demon enemies show up here first, and even though they act just like regular enemies, they were still an odd sight to suddenly see at this point in the game. The cawing crows were a bit unnerving at the beginning of the level, and the fat man-baby boss seemed especially strange, partly because of the terrible voice acting. Plus, the music is at least a little different from the rest of the OST, opting for an incredibly "far-East" sound at certain parts, which made the whole level feel strangely foreign.
But creepiest of all was how you can faintly hear the sound of babies crying as you get near and climb the central tower where the boss battle happens. Difficult to hear in the video, but it's clear as day when you play the game.
Like I said, may seem like nothing special now, but it was creepy back in the day.

"Infiltrate the Manji Cult" from Tenchu:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpyrTLL3iZg[/youtube]
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:24 pm

^ I agree actually and still think it is. ESP when the babies cry and these sick things are dancing. Just when that one thing talks with the bad VA it ruined the mood.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:26 pm

Luckily there's a code to change the voice acting to Japanese in any level featuring Onikage, so the bad VA can actually be avoided. Not sure if you've ever tried it.
OL
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming