Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:56 am

For in the air he could have a little chopper like the one Lan Diss hanging from in II and for sea a mini boat. He spends enough time on one between the 2 games. Hell They could have his forklift transform to work in air and sea seeing as its an OTT racer anyways
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:53 am

Ryo is so in, as most/all characters of the original (maybe minus some irrelevant Sonic friends). You worry too much.
And expect cool, unexpected characters to be announced still. November is a long way from now.
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:59 am

Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:05 pm

Details:

A whopping 27 playable characters.
Tracks may be altered mid-race, meaning alternative routes and short cuts must be used.
Performing tricks and collecting stars fills up an All-Star meter which allows racers to use All-Star moves when full.
The game features track specific items as well as hidden ‘Super power-ups’.
A new story mode features 16 new tracks, and allows for characters to be unlocked.
Characters earn experience while racing, allowing for vehicle modifications to be made.

Ace.
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:18 pm

We should set up a Dojo kart racing tournament for this game.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:30 pm

^ Great idea. Tho I only have XBL
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:16 pm

Wii U version confirmed for Nov 20th
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:27 am

Confirmed there's no playable Vectorman. You would of thought a character which was designed to fundamentally transform would of been suitable enough. I have a feeling he's tied up in character rights just like Toejam and Earl in the previous game..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:07 pm

Clarification on Vectorman from S0L, the producer:
Since I'm being accused of being a <insert d word here> all over the internet, I'll qualify my Vectorman statement a little more. I thought the sticky out tongue smiley would indicate there was more to it than face value...

You won't be playing as Vectorman, in so much as he's not a selectable playable character, either as the driver or part of the vehicle.

There are some reasons for this.

First, we're making a game for a modern day gaming audience. As much as we like to include older characters and references for fans, we have a limited ability to do this as we're making a modern game to appeal to a modern audience. There is a good chance that many players of the game wouldn't have even been born when the final Vectorman game came out. Don't forget the character hasn't been the main star of a game since the Megadrive/Genesis era...

Second, we have rules on the vehicle design for the game. Everything has to be no smaller (or bigger) than a given footprint. Everyone complained the bikes last time had an advantage, they were harder to hit, could squeeze through small gaps other vehicles couldn't - and this has been one rule change we've made to ensure the game is more balanced and fairer. As Vectorman would have more than likely been required to be a motorbike (in keeping with the original game) - he was ruled out on these grounds too.

Third - and we've stressed this more than enough - we have to build a character roster that has variety, that is interesting, and which appeals to fans old and new. Part of that is representing characters from all ages of SEGA, and we still have some Genesis era ones to reveal, part of it is as the type of character is already represented, and part of it is that we weren't genuinely convinced that the character as it stood would be considered desirable by a modern audience (Daddy, what is that robot made of balls?).

That's before we get into the 'Who owns the license' question - but that's one for another day.

Does that mean that Vectorman isn't in the game FULL STOP. Maybe, maybe not. Look at this -> :P

You complain when we don't de-confirm, you complain when we do. You can't have it both ways. You also can't assume these decisions are taken lightly. We know how important characters are to people and we do our best to represent this is many ways. Be they playable characters, hazards, cameos, references in speech, achievements, musical cues and more.

But there are many valid reasons why every single character who has ever appeared in a SEGA game or on a SEGA system can't all be in one game.

And this is an example of why we come in here and talk. We have to manage your expectations sometimes. A lot of the time, what you want from the game isn't always what can be realistically done.

If someone wants to offer us an infinite budget and no time limits whatsoever, we'll happily put a team together to make a game with every single character in it that you want. We'll even include every genre of game ever, and have the entirety of Shenmue 3 in as a mini-game :P You might have to wait in Nukem timescales though.

The reality is, we don't have infinite budget or time. So get used to the idea that everything you want or demand won't happen - and in the meantime accept that we're doing the best we can within the limits we have.

You can now of course continue to accuse me of being a <insert d word here>, but at least you'll have to do it with the proper hard facts to hand :)

---
S0L
---

I disagree with all three points pretty much but the bolded seemingly seals the fate of the last game's characters who raced on motorbikes, namely, Alex Kidd and Ryo Hazuki.

This also bugs me: "There is a good chance that many players of the game wouldn't have even been born when the final Vectorman game came out. Don't forget the character hasn't been the main star of a game since the Megadrive/Genesis era..."

So what console did Opa-Opa from Fantasy Zone appear on? And I still don't know who the zombie characters are either.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:12 pm

Actually the motorcycle bit might explain why we have not seen Ryo in this one.

Also where is Segata Sanshiro? They planned it for the first game same as Vyse. He would be riding a Sega Saturn. Maybe the 3rd game if they have one.

Breaking Bad has helped the first games sales with the footage shown. Maybe it will again :P
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Crimson Ryan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:29 pm

Bluecast wrote:Actually the motorcycle bit might explain why we have not seen Ryo in this one.

Also where is Segata Sanshiro? They planned it for the first game same as Vyse. He would be riding a Sega Saturn. Maybe the 3rd game if they have one.

Breaking Bad has helped the first games sales with the footage shown. Maybe it will again :P

Sanshiro isn't a Sega owned character so I doubt he'd make an appearance. Especially not this one since the theme is transforming vehicles. Be a real shame for me if Ryo isn't included since he was one of my best characters in the first game.

They're also doing more crossovers in this game which explains the new Disney movie character, Wreck-It Ralph and that NASCAR racing chick. I think her car has Sega sponsorship.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:33 pm

They may as well put Jesse Pinkman in then. Like I said it was planned for the first. They just ran out time and space. Same for Vyse.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Crimson Ryan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:44 pm

Who's Jesse Pinkman?
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Spokane » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:45 pm

Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie