Fist of the North Star series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Fist of the North Star series

Postby Tuffty » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:33 pm

Yeh I hope it's there at the end of boss battles at least. They can't have a FOTN game without Ken shouting 'HOKUTO HYAKURETSU KEN!!' at some point. Also, not feeling the 'ATATATATATATATATATATATA' from the TGS trailer. Sounds like a bad impersonation more than anything.

Tuffty has received a thanks from: OL
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby OL » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:50 pm

:lol:
Yeah, the trailer didn't really have the greatest sound work in the world anyway. I think it mostly just sounded off because it wasn't really mixed in with anything else. Sounded great in the first game because it's mixed in with the bass-heavy thumping sound of each punch, but in the trailer it's just kind of there by itself. Could still be improved a bit either way.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:47 pm

Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Cave Johnson » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:36 pm

Febuary 1st Disc Release in Europe

http://www.tecmokoei-europe.com/news/?id=39399

No news for a North America release yet. Probably be digital only which sucks.

Cave Johnson has received 2 thanks from: OL, Tuffty
Cave Johnson
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: SHMUPS

Postby Tuffty » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:37 am

Tecmo Koei says the game is out in the US for 360/PS3 on Feb 7th. Also, online co-op and competitive modes? Has that always been announced and I've missed it til now?
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:54 am

Damnit too many games early next year for me to buy. MGR,ni no kuni,Anarchy Riens,FoTNS.

Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby OL » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:30 am

The demo is up on Japanese PSN!
And it's freakin' great!

Granted, there are a couple of disappointments. The graphics are obviously a teeny bit downgraded in a sense. The cutscenes look nowhere near as pretty as in the first game.
But then again, you have to take into account that, as pretty as they were, those ones also didn't flow along with the gameplay graphics quite as well as this. And even further, you have to take into account that with the slight downgrade, now the gameplay itself is able to run incredibly fast and silky smooth. The increase in speed is absolutely amazing.
I have to say, I do have a bit of a soft spot for the slower, more precise combos of the first Ken's Rage. But speeding them up like they have here, it really feels more faithful to the original show in a way, and it's no doubt much more accessible.
The levels also appear to be a bit smaller, but that's obviously been done so that they could pack more story content into the final game. Again, I have to say, I actually liked the expansive levels of the first game, but having them a bit more compartmentalized in this one is easily more faithful to the original stories, as well as keeping the pace moving a little more briskly. Plus, they might be able to add more distinction to them this way, and provide cool variations on what they already did before (the Zeed level takes place mostly inside the building where Kenshiro was being imprisoned, for example, instead of out and around the town).

So even with the obvious changes that could be seen as detractors by some, this is easily an improvement overall. Can't wait for this game. I really can't wait to play as/against all the other characters, particularly from FotNS2. Ein, Bat, Shachi... all gonna be great.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:51 pm

I'd imagine the "Unofficial" or "Dream" mode will have bigger levels.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:35 pm

Sorry but gotta bump this since its coming out in a few weeks and theres a decent amount of news.

This is old but answer's OL's question. The 360 version is the only physical release. The PS3 and WiiU versions will be digital only.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/28/fist- ... hed-feb-5/

Speaking of WiiU, Warriors Orochi has a cool co-op aspect where one player can play on the TV while the other plays on the gamepad. I'm hoping this game has it as well.

Ah yes, and in Japan the manga costume DLC is going to be free for a month for WiiU, I'm hoping that happens here as well.

Also for Deluxe WiiU owners you get points back on this game, just be sure to enroll in the program and register your system.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: OL
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:38 pm

Dammit, I just checked playasia, and their PAL PS3 copy is insanely-priced... fucking 80-something bucks.
*sigh*
Gonna have to shop around a bit. As much as I really want the game, 80-something is a bit rich for me right now, especially with 100 already going toward Ni No Kuni.
Stupid decision not to release the PS3 version physically over here...
Well, maybe my dad or someone will be cool again this year and just basically say "name something and I'll get it for your birthday". It's how I got the Sega CD last year, so hey, maybe I'll luck out again...
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:51 pm

^Can try ShopTo. I've ordered with them before and they've been fantastic with delivery time and price. I've seen online before that some people import from them.

http://www.shopto.net/ps3/PS3FI32-fist- ... ens-rage-2

£35 is roughly about $55 but I'm sure they will add postage.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: OL
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby OL » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:51 pm

Watching more videos for this, I do have to say, I'm disappointed that the insane button-pressing sequences have been removed from the end of boss fights. I usually found myself laughing at the sheer absurdity of it all when playing those in the first game.
Now they've been sorta-kinda replaced by actual cutscene-based QTE's, which would be fine, if not for the fact that they all look so mind-numbingly easy.
The rest of the gameplay seems vastly improved, but I'm sad to see those parts disappear.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:50 am

I haven't really seen any videos, did they really remove the attack explanations?

I'm gunna have Tough boy going in my head until Feb 7

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: OL
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:39 am

You mean like the "freeze frame --> name of move" stuff?
Yeah, it doesn't happen every time you perform a special move during gameplay anymore. I think they did it to keep the flow a little more steady (a lot of people whined about it from the first game I guess; I loved it, myself). Still happens for certain cutscenes though.

OL has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:16 am

The first one was budget-priced (like Anarchy Reigns), but this one isn't. Strange, as it doesn't seem one bit improved.
Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming