Sleeping Dogs

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Sleeping Dogs

Postby Funktion » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:51 pm

I finished the game (well, the story missions; I still have 16 of a total of 30 jobs to complete, plus 4 or 5 events, not to mention finding the rest of the lock boxes and completing the item collections) in a little over 25 hours.

The game is a blast to play. I was actually a bit "sad" when the game was over, since I could see myself playing quite a few hours more. I'm still going to continue playing, to complete the rest of the content.

I know it's probably too much to expect, but I hope any future DLC can add a mission or two.
Funktion
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Spokane » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:14 pm

I know that sad feeling, I am sad when most games are over. (And I don't just mean when they had a sad ending, even if its a good or neutral one)
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:19 pm

Spokane wrote:I know that sad feeling, I am sad when most games are over. (And I don't just mean when they had a sad ending, even if its a good or neutral one)

Post Game Depression, you'll try and do every sidequest or pick up a similar game, usually happens with longer games that have a runtime of over 30hours. eventually the person just stops playing games for a short time. Its a weird little quirk I've noticed in people.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Funktion » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:23 pm

Spokane wrote:I know that sad feeling, I am sad when most games are over.

Yeah, but in my case it's been a while since I really enjoyed playing a game from start to end, you know, actually wanting to play it instead of firing something up to kill an hour or two.

Reading comments around the internet it seems most people are rather liking the game (a bit of a contrast with some mediocre reviews I read; how GTA IV gets 10's all around and this game 7's or 8's is a bit puzzling), and it seems to be selling well (it sold out on numerous US retailers, and it went straight to number 1 in the UK charts; not bad for a new IP that was dumped by the previous publisher because they didn't believe it would result in a good product that would sell well).

I know there's quite a few differences between Shenmue and this game, but I wonder if something like Shenmue wouldn't sell a lot better nowadays, since open world games became much more popular and commercially accepted in the recent years, after the success of GTA 3?
Funktion

Postby Spokane » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:29 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:
Spokane wrote:I know that sad feeling, I am sad when most games are over. (And I don't just mean when they had a sad ending, even if its a good or neutral one)

Post Game Depression, you'll try and do every sidequest or pick up a similar game, usually happens with longer games that have a runtime of over 30hours. eventually the person just stops playing games for a short time. Its a weird little quirk I've noticed in people.

Heh, not me I pick u a new one if I have it and play away, if I have indeed done everything there is to do for the most part. I do have a very hard time deciding which game I want to play next though a lot.

It's been awhile since I played a game I did not enjoy, the opposite of you sort of. (I never have played GTAIV or Saints Row though, I loved Yakuza 3 just to compare similar games, well games that it being compared to though)

Edit: I guess I lied, there has been some I have not enjoyed. The latest Street Fighter and Star Wars the Force Unleashed.
Last edited by Spokane on Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:34 pm

Mot everyone, and heeeeeeeey and I like most games i play, I just make things sound worse.

For example I'm actually enjoying Tales of Graces but I still shit on it.

Also apparently Sleeping dogs outsold mario in the UK, granted Mario had like a day while sleeping dogs had a week its still quite a feat.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Spokane » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:39 pm

Is that counted across all platforms for Sleeping Dogs?

Or was it the top of all the systems it came out on?

(I know Mario is just a Nintendo thing) But I see what you mean, this game came out of nowhere pretty much. I looked at the top 50 preorders list a week ago and it wasn't even on there for any region if I recall right.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:43 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby ys » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:44 pm

Funktion wrote:I know there's quite a few differences between Shenmue and this game, but I wonder if something like Shenmue wouldn't sell a lot better nowadays, since open world games became much more popular and commercially accepted in the recent years, after the success of GTA 3?

I've also been wondering that for a few years. I mean, even games with less freedom like Heavy Rain or LA Noire managed to sell well. I think Shenmue wouldn't do bad considering the fact that it even offers more diverse gameplay than these examples.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby south carmain » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:16 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:Also apparently Sleeping dogs outsold mario in the UK, granted Mario had like a day while sleeping dogs had a week its still quite a feat.

the UK has good taste in games ;-) Gravity rush was in the top 10 not long ago, unfortunately we're not big enough to make much of a difference on a global scale
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Yama » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:29 pm

For those who have played both, this or Yakuza 4? Go.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:33 pm

Come on now yama, this is a shenmue board, I think most here will side with sega/yakuza, thats what my gut tells me anyway.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Funktion » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:20 am

Yama wrote:For those who have played both, this or Yakuza 4? Go.

I'm sure it's not the answer you want, but I have to say both games deserve to be on everybody's collection:

-Yakuza 4 is a great game in one of the last series that reminds me of Sega's golden days (nowadays, they pretty much work solely with third-parties; it's not to say this results in bad games, it's just that most don't feel like a Sega game at all); I'm a big fan of the Yakuza series (I bought a PS2 pretty much just to play the first 2 games, and I did the same with a PS3 for the recent entries), which I usually call in conversations as "Shenmue's evil cousin" :lol:

-Sleeping Dogs is an awesome game in a new IP, and personally I think it's one of the best open world games released so far, it just does so many things just so damn well. I really have to mention again that the "horizontal" gameplay the game has (it's a city with a lot of tall buildings, and you can climb and jump around) makes you feel like this game is a bit more "free roaming" than most games in the genre.
Funktion

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:28 am

That's the thing its not really a new IP they just got rid of the True Crime part which is good cause lets face it the first 2 games were poor.

Some of the stuff you can use to finish someone off is just awesome. It really is like the Punisher death moves.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Funktion » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:37 am

Who Really Cares? wrote:That's the thing its not really a new IP they just got rid of the True Crime part which is good cause lets face it the first 2 games were poor.

Actually, that's not entirely true: the game was designed as a new IP, under the name Black Lotus.
Activision decided to tack-in the True Crime name, under the pretence that the brand name would help it sell. The game changed its name yet again, when Square Enix purchased the rights to the game, but not the True Crime brand.

Regardless of the name, the game really hasn't got anything to do with the True Crime series, besides including cops and criminals.
Last edited by Funktion on Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Funktion

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming