Sleeping Dogs

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Sleeping Dogs

Postby OL » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:59 pm

A ripoff or copy isn't the same as a tribute. Dead Souls admittedly just copies-and-pastes its various enemy ideas from other places, but none of it ever comes off as some kind of gracious homage to whatever came before. They're just copied ideas, following the popular zombie trend. It also features screaming zombies who attract more hoards to attack, and giant hulking ones that ram you. The ideas are just like Left 4 Dead (or whatever used the ideas before), but it's never presented in a "kudos to you!" nod to those previous efforts.
And Undead Nightmare is nothing like House of the Dead, so if it was intended as a "tribute," then they did an inadvertantly good job at sidestepping any indication of their inspiration (besides the basic subject of zombies).
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:08 pm

Its not that it was a tribute to Hotd, its that both were a tribute to the same thing, which was grind-house. From the coloring, voice acting and narrator to the actual content and even the music.

Call of the Dead and Dead Island's marketing campaigns were particularly painful because on top of seeing a lot of the same shots we'd set up being used, the motherfuckers got away with more. I remember getting chewed out because I had a shot (that took me a few hours to even get) that involved a headshot and the ESRB said it was against their guidelines, then I'd watch Call of the dead tv spots that had tons of it in em.

So it wasn't fun seeing the stuff we did get copies and given more freedom.

It is a trend in the case of call of the dead and everything else that just shoehorns zombies in, but Undead Nightmare was deliberate if zombies weren't big, it still would have come out, same for house of the dead. To be honest even resident evil just copies and pastes a lot of enemies from Left 4 Dead, the same way Dead souls takes enemies from everything.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: OL
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby OL » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:13 pm

I know this is all way off topic, but when you're putting together marketing spots, do you go about recording the footage yourself and then editing it in, or are you just handed footage to work with?
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:19 pm

We get the footage ourselves, pretty much everything is gameplay, and whatever footage I worked with I got myself, so its my gameplay.

When you watch the max payne 3 multiplayer trailers, thats actually me playing for most of it.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received 2 thanks from: Bluecast, OL
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Spokane » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:23 pm

^ That's so cool. To me anyway.

Spokane has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:36 pm

Sleeping Dogs developer United Front Games has claimed there is still life in the zombie genre, as it prepares to launch undead-themed DLC Nightmare in North Point next week.

There's still room for more zombie games and DLC, Sleeping Dogs producer Dan Sochan told Eurogamer. That's despite Nightmare in North Point's similarities with undead DLC for Red Dead Redemption and inFamous 2.

"Obviously there's been other games that have done 'the undead pack'," Sochan argued. "But we didn't think it was an overdone genre because we're looking at Chinese folklore.

"We've not seen Jiang Shi [a reanimated corpse from Chinese legends] in many games before - they appeared in a Castlevania title, but that's about it. We're also taking nods from Hong Kong cinema, films such as Big Trouble Little China. So we thought we could bring something that's still fresh and interesting. It's over the top, a bit cheeky."

Nightmare in North Point, like other such expansions, adds a separate storyline from Sleeping Dog's main campaign. It's also a chance for now-dead enemies to reappear, Sochan added.

The DLC will add up to two hours of story content, with an extra hour of secondary missions on top. These will see hero Wei Shen defeating undead 18K gang members and Jiang Shi dotted around the map.

Following that, plenty more story-based DLC is on the way.

"We have several more big packs coming out in the next few months that explore other parts of Hong Kong cinema," Sochan hinted. "We'll be announcing the next pack within the next few weeks."

Story-based expansions will continue along the lines of Nightmare in North Point, adding new martial arts moves, new enemies and different mission settings.

"We've chosen not to extend storylines from the main game," Sochan explained. "Instead we'll be focusing on a different theme or a particular character that players have liked, such as [chauffeur sidekick] Old Salty Crab." The team is also looking at ways to work in fan-favourite character Pork Bun Guy.

This leaves the continuation of Sleeping Dog's main plotline to a fully-fledged future title. Sochan agreed that it was important those who don't buy the DLC don't get left behind.

Sochan was evasive on plans for a sequel, but said the Sleeping Dogs brand now had a solid foundation on which to build.

"The support we've gotten from the fans has been great," Sochan concluded. "Sales have been really good. It's always tough being new IP but people have embraced it. The myth that no games should release over the summer is fading away."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... t-overdone
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Spokane » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:49 pm

I admit the vampire part of it does interest me a lot. Vampires are overdone in movies but not anywhere near as much in games.

The only vampire things I can think of is the Arefu sidequest from Fallout 3 and the inFamous 2 expansion I believe is vampire based.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby OL » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:55 pm

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is the best vampire-based game ever.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:02 pm

If more Vamps has a demon like look similar to Nosforatu or even nastier looking I would be much more interested. Not a big fan of the more modern vamp that looked human and sex appeal. Thanks Universal.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby OL » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:29 pm

^^There's nothing "more modern" about that concept. Dracula looked human, and was meant to be extremely attractive. The difference is that the more modern take has them as PG-13 good guys and heart throbs, or has them trying to appeal to kids in some way.
Fuck that shit. Most vampire movies suck, but I've always been partial to John Carpenter's Vampires. That's the kind I like to see.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:16 pm

The ones in Lords of Darkness were pretty interesting, ironically its one of the few games where vampires are a normal enemy.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:49 pm

im slowly starting to creep into sleeping dogs more and more, and I am really enjoying it now. Its kind of like infernal affairs the game, subtle things remind me of shenmue yes but even more so Yakuza, but there is alot more fights and action. Also i am really enjoying the music in the game, been a couple times I just stopped and listened to music while playing. This game is right up my alley.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:06 pm

Yeah its a great game and seems to be under rated as far as gamers goes. Deserves more attention.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby ys » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:25 am

I just finished the game and it was ok. Which was also the impression I got around launch. The combat was fluid which was a plus. The story didn't really grab me though for some reason.

I saw people online be amazed because you could drink, sleep, eat etc. They found it a pity that there weren't more games that did this so it felt like a real world ;) Of course others compared it to Shenmue due to Hong Kong and the martial arts of course. Personally, Shenmue still has a more immersive feel with cities and environments that feel alive instead of being a backdrop for action. I guess the fact that you can speak to everyone helps to create that alive feel instead of seeing others walk around feeling like extras.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:10 am

The making of Sleeping Dogs

http://www.edge-online.com/features/the ... ping-dogs/

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui3U95NKkEM[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOHpj5USnRg[/youtube]
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III