Persona/Shin Megami Tensei series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Persona 5

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:19 am

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/perso ... e-pipeline

Seems pretty much confirmed. Really need to go back and beat the forth game I think I only got to the third dungeon. Loved the game it's just the grinding made me want to smash my head in. Look forward to it they could do wonders now with it being on current gen platforms.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby OL » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:45 am

Awesome.
Just got the newest Shin Megami Tensei game yesterday, actually (Strange Journey on the DS), and it seems really cool so far. I'm really eager to get the chance to actually play through the whole thing sometime soon.
Only thing is, Atlus hasn't made a single truly "next gen" game yet, so it almost seems doubtful to me that it'll be on PS3. I mean, I really hope it is, but they've been primarily doing DS and Wii games these days (the occasional bit of PSP love as well)... nothing Megaten-related yet on PS3 or 360.
And as much as I love Persona, I almost wish they were making another Devil Summoner (with its detective-style stories) or another main series Shin Megami Tensei (with their whole derelict, apocalyptic style) instead. Something where Kazuma Kaneko would actually be the character designer, with Shoji Meguro doing some slightly more haunting melodies, as opposed to the (still surprisingly good) Jpop-inspired stuff he does for Persona.

It'll be a fantastic game no matter how things end up, I would just rather see something new, or something a little less "well-tread".
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:47 am

^ Can't blame Atlus though playing it safe with all these bankrupt companies every week.
They as a smaller company just not willing to risk it all.
DS obviously is just a sure deal.

I agree however would be nice to see something more console related with megatons titles.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:26 pm

OL I'm kind of a Atlus noob with only Persona 4 being a game I have bought from them. What other series from them would you suggest and what kind of games would you compare them to.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:31 pm

^ Atlus does not really make anything.
They are a publishing company pretty much.
And they Publish a wide array of Japanese games but yeah mostly RPG games though they do other things also.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby OL » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:36 pm

^^Yes they do. Atlus Japan does make games. It's the US branch of Atlus that only publishes games. Most of the games released by the US branch are Atlus Japan-made games (such as the Megaten series), but they also localize other unrelated games as well.

@Riku:
From Atlus I'm mostly a Megami Tensei series fan (it's my favorite RPG series), and Megami Tensei is split up into several smaller sub-series.
Persona is now the most popular of them, but then there's also the main-series Shin Megami Tensei games (the only ones that have been translated and localized are Nocturne for PS2, which is the absolute hardest JRPG I've ever played, and Strange Journey for DS), Digital Devil Saga (which is what introduced me to the series), and Devil Summoner. There are also a few other offshoots, like Devil Survivor for the DS (a strategy-RPG that's aesthetically a lot like Persona).
You can find out more about the series by going here, but I'd pretty much recommend all the Megaten games I've played. They're all great. Digital Devil Saga is probably easiest to get into, because it's set up with a much more traditional "Final Fantasy" style compared to others in the series (plenty of story, clear-cut dungeons, and an actual team of playable characters, rather than a lone player character accompanied by demons). Nocturne for the PS2 is an amazing game, but it's a bit daunting. I still haven't beaten it, because it's just so freaking hard later on, but I love it anyway. DDS and Nocturne are more in line with "classic" Shin Megami Tensei style, because they have very bleak, apocalyptic atmospheres and storylines, with a lot of philosophical questioning and whatnot (but that's a lot of what I love about the series). The slightly more "upbeat" style of the Persona games is sort of a newer thing in the series, actually.
I'd try to find Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 if I were you. It's a great introduction to the more classic Megaten atmosphere style, and it has a great story to boot. Something like Nocturne has a great, thoughtful story, but it's all very sparse; Nocturne is more about the gameplay, level-grinding and demon-fusing and whatnot, with the story only really popping up at a select few key moments.

Oh, and the Devil Summoner games are excellent as well. They're the only action-RPGs in the series I think, and they've got a very cool, very unique 1920s Japan style to them. The stories are more like pulp detective yarns, and they're occasionally kind of funny and comedic. Of all the SMT series, I'd say the PS2 Devil Summoners take themselves the least seriously, but they're still very compelling and absorbing. The gameplay in the first game is kind of simple and garnered a lot of criticism from critics, but the second game improved on the system a lot. I'd still recommend both (in order).
Last edited by OL on Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby [mYLES] » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:46 pm

Funny it's a PS3 exclusive, but there's a Xbox Live advertisment under it. Tease.
[mYLES]
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby OL » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:49 pm

^^No one said anything about which console it'll be on yet.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby [mYLES] » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:51 pm

"There's no word on format, although the smart money would probably be on the previously PS2-exclusive series making the jump to PS3."

I guess Im jumping the gun and saying it will be.
[mYLES]
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Persona 2 Wise Fwum Yo gwabe

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:25 pm

http://kotaku.com/5674332/persona-2-inn ... ing-remake

Game developer Atlus is bringing PlayStation 1 role-playing game Persona 2: Innocent Sin back for the PSP 11 years after its original release.

As noted by website Siliconera, one big gameplay change is the ability to see the demons' emotions. This, it seems, will simplify in-game negotiation.

Macross Frontier anime studio Satellite will handle the game's new opening, but Atlus is also including the original opener, too. There were plans to include the entire original game, but those plans were shelved as it's impossible for UMD.

Persona 2: Innocent Sin will feature PSP-style widescreen support to make maps and menus easier to navigate.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Re: Persona 2 Wise Fwum Yo gwabe

Postby OL » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:07 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I had a feeling it would happen sooner or later. This is practically guaranteed to be released in the US, too, since Atlus USA is fucking awesome nowadays, and if it sells well enough (which is practically another guarantee), then Eternal Punishment might not be too far behind.
Awesome news.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:26 pm

^That and one of the statements (if I can remember correctly) around the time they started re-releasing Persona had something about "fixing the localization mistakes of the past" hence Mark Wasn't black and the ice bitch quest was kept in. I got a good feeling we might see both games remade for PSP and localized.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Dorian » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:26 pm

A nice surprise. I was thinking they wouldn't do it. Now more people will enjoy the greatness of P2 (and not only the half of it). It's also good to see that they will add an option to toggle between the original and the new soundtrack. P1 PSP didn't have that and many fans were pissed like hell because of it. This will make everybody happy.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: stuff

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:45 pm

Dorian wrote:This will make everybody happy.

:shock: Even you?
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Dorian » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:49 pm

Yes. I will be delighted to play this remake. But first I must fix the relationship with my boyfriend and buy a new PSP.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: stuff

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming