Persona/Shin Megami Tensei series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Persona/Shin Megami Tensei series

Postby Raithos » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:53 pm

Pretty sure I just got the shittiest ending I could have gotten in P4G LOL. It literally skipped from December all the way to March and ended in about 5 minutes. Definitely going to reload tomorrow and try to get a better ending.

Question about P3 on PS2. I know from what I read people say the PSP version is the best, but there are several titles I'm buying the next few months on vita/3ds so I don't want to add to that back log right now. I plan on eventually getting it tho since I got P4 on Vita and and have already ordered Innocent Sin, should be here soon. My question is, is the FES version that much better than the normal one? I can get either the standard FES version for 25 new, or the original print LE with the art book for just a few bucks more. Surprisingly its brand new as well. I want the book, but don't want to be missing out on game changing content.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby OL » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:53 pm

People say the PSP version is best? :blink:
The PSP version adds the ability to play as a girl, but the whole presentation is scaled waaaay back (anime cutscenes re-cut as still pictures, environments during the day re-presented as menus, etc). I'd say the PSP one is for people who have already played P3 and want to experience it in a slightly different way.

Anyway, I would say FES is absolutely the best version, since it adds a bunch of new content to the main game while also adding on an "epilogue" chapter at the end, which is apparently somewhere around 20-30 hours long. The original P3 package with the art book and cd is great, but I wouldn't say the extras make it worth getting in lieu of FES. The cd is just a selection of the main tracks (not the full OST) and the art book is kind of small and short, sort of a "summarized" version. I'd say get FES, and if having a book of its art is that important to you afterward, you should get the actual Persona 3 artbook, which is surprisingly still pretty affordable for a videogame artbook.

OL has received a thanks from: Raithos
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:57 am

OL wrote: People say the PSP version is best? :blink:

That's just what I read lol. Glad I haven't been looking at that one then, sounds pretty bad. Nah I don't buy stand alone books, statues, or nothing like that. I just like items included in sets with the game. Especially small soundtracks and books so it seemed cool. They must of done a second run when the FES version came out, I see some with the book for sale as well.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Persona/Shin Megami Tensei series

Postby Yama » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:02 am

P3P: Ability to control your entire party in battle like P4. Able to choose a female main character, if it's your first time through you wouldn't want to. Point and click versus actual character control outside of dungeons.

P3 Fes: Can only control main character in battle. 'The Answer' scenario post game which adds 20hrs or so. Definitive version overall, less refined battle system. Full scale presentation. Battle enhancements and content over the original.

Yama has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Raithos
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Raithos » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:13 am

Sounds like I either get real exploration, or I control my party like you are supposed to in RPGs. Tough call. I don't like relying on AI party members at all, but don't want menu driven exploration either. Might just skip it for now and move on to something else instead. Thanks for the replies guys
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:49 am

Raithos wrote:Sounds like I either get real exploration, or I control my party like you are supposed to in RPGs. Tough call. I don't like relying on AI party members at all, but don't want menu driven exploration either. Might just skip it for now and move on to something else instead. Thanks for the replies guys

You shoulfnt overlook it, it's still an awesome game. Just play fes on easy mode so that it doesnt matter if mitsuru spams fucking marin karin over and over again instead of exploiting the bosses weakness at a crucial point of the battle
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Yama » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:41 pm

Raithos wrote: Sounds like I either get real exploration, or I control my party like you are supposed to in RPGs. Tough call. I don't like relying on AI party members at all, but don't want menu driven exploration either. Might just skip it for now and move on to something else instead. Thanks for the replies guys

The Answer was just a grind fest, really. The exploration on PSP is just fine anyway, you control your characters in dungeons which is the only real explorative part. The point and click in the city can actually be considered helpful, plus you still have the animated character art during conversation and such. Just go with that version, I think it's the most enjoyable overall experience available with FES following right behind for a more raw experience. The only wrong thing to do is to skip P3, which imo is still the best out of the current Persona titles.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

Postby Raithos » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:56 pm

south carmain wrote:Just play fes on easy mode so that it doesnt matter if mitsuru spams fucking marin karin over and over again instead of exploiting the bosses weakness at a crucial point of the battle

Yeah that's the kind of stuff I was worried about lol. I wouldn't skip it completely, I just meant for now. I was going to beat it before starting on the PS1/PSP titles. Innocent Sin should be here later today, and I plan on picking up Eternal Punishment when I finish it. From what I've seen on YouTube they look more appealing to me. Got a few other games to finish up first before I sink my teeth into that one though, because once I started P4 I pretty much just quit playing everything else.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Yama » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:16 pm

P2 is my favorite RPG of all time. As good as P3/4 are, they don't compare imho. Enjoy.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

Postby Raithos » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:15 pm

US site is live for P5. confirmed for 2015

http://atlus.com/persona5/

Raithos has received 2 thanks from: Henry Spencer, OL
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:11 pm

Shin Megami Tensei I is officially being localized on iOS by Atlus USA. It's coming out sometime in March. I'm guessing that if 1 does well enough, they'll also release II & ...if.

http://atlus.com/smti/

phpBB [video]
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:04 pm

Fuuuuuuuck.
Finally, they bring the original to the west, and it has to be on mobile. Ugh.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:18 pm

Yeah, lol. Oh well, what can you do. I hope that they remake them sometime in the future and/or port them over to some game system, now that the game is in English.

Anywho, over in Euro land we are still waiting on a release date for Shin Megami Tensei IV with no news at all since Nintendo announced it via Nintendo Direct, almost a year ago...wonder what the hell is going on.

I got an email from CD Japan that the SMT4 artbook is on its way to me now. A bit unsure whether I want to spoil myself with the contents of the book or wait it out. I pre-ordered it thinking that we'd get the game before the artbook ships, but nope. #-o

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:05 pm

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/201 ... ignite.com

P5 for PS4, P4 Dancing All Night for Vita, and Persona 4 Arena Ultimax for PS3 all coming to North America. \:D/

I heard about P5, but I didnt know about these other 2 games, so I decided to post them here. I think they are spin offs anyway. Still cool to see more Persona/SMT stuff coming out though.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:12 am

AnimeGamer183 wrote: http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/201 ... ignite.com

P5 for PS4, P4 Dancing All Night for Vita, and Persona 4 Arena Ultimax for PS3 all coming to North America. \:D/

I heard about P5, but I didnt know about these other 2 games, so I decided to post them here. I think they are spin offs anyway. Still cool to see more Persona/SMT stuff coming out though.

Think you read it wrong. P5 isnt coming out on PS4. It's still just on PS3.
Got me hyped..
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming