Persona/Shin Megami Tensei series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:10 pm

The Edge
Nick
Dino
and now Dorian.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Dorian » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:20 pm

OK, OK - the rap part is shit and I hate it. Fucking Japs and their fucking rap!
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: stuff

Postby Gingefners, The » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:55 pm

Not Persona 4 related (well, I could make an arguement it is I guess), more Persona 3 but I'll say it anyway. Just started my college course and there's a guy who looks EXACTLY like Akinari. It's rather disturbing.
Gingefners, The
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: with myself

Postby Dorian » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:42 am

Ask him to write a story for you and post a pic of him.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: stuff

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:33 pm

http://uk.psp.ign.com/dor/objects/27045 ... 01309.html

Debut trailer. I think this will be a buy at launch for me. Easy mode here I come and hopefully it can make me beat 4the forth one.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:30 am

I really want to pick up Persona 1 on PSP right now, since I want to start this series from the begining, but if they are going to skip Persona 2 on PSP, then it may not be worth it cause it will make me have to skip it as well.... thanks atlus, I guess I just wont play these games at all.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:38 am

None of the games are related to eachother. I don't know why that has to be repeated so many times.
Starting with P3 is no worse than starting the Final Fantasy series with number VII. You won't lose any enjoyment with the series whatsoever, since they're all entirely separate from eachother.
I want P2 as well, but it isn't a series-ruining dilemma that it hasn't been put on the PSP yet.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:08 am

I hear ya OL, but thats not really my reasoning behind that. I like to see how the game play and challenge changes over the course of the series, and see how well things improve on the actual game development side of things.

Also P1 and P2 are on PSX, good luck finding a copy of it outside ebay though, have you played the PSX versions OL?
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:39 pm

No. Always wanted to, never got to. Playing the first on PSP right now (which is apparently vastly improved from the PS1 version). It's good, but I prefer 3 and 4, I think. Though I know I'd be absolutely in love with P2 if they ever re-released it. Seen plenty of videos and whatnot, and it's style and story look right up my alley.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:05 pm

^ You can get it on Ebay for about $100 or so on PSX. How is P1? I have heard the story lines in these games are incredible, and I have been thinking I am missing out on alot by not playing them yet. Also what about the other Shin Megami games? Is persona the best of that series?
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:41 pm

Only played P4 and can tell you the story is amazing.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:03 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote:How is P1? I have heard the story lines in these games are incredible, and I have been thinking I am missing out on alot by not playing them yet. Also what about the other Shin Megami games? Is persona the best of that series?

P1 is really good. I haven't actually experienced the story much so far ( at least it doesn't feel like it) because I've been level grinding so much. I'm about 18 hours in, but I feel like the story has yet to really open up. But from what I can tell it's pretty damn cool.
P3 and 4 are excellent, too.
The other Megaten games outside of the Persona series are great. Nocturne probably has the least story overall, though if you like biblical/apocalyptic stories you'll probably like what's there. The atmosphere, at the very least, is amazing. The PS2 Devil Summoner games are excellent, with a lot of personality in them. They play out sort of like mystery stories, but with demons involved. My favorites are probably the two Digital Devil Saga games. They're very dark and serious, but they're also the most story-driven of the series. DDS is like the SMT answer to Final Fantasy. Gameplay-wise, they abandon the demon-collecting from other games in the series and instead focus on a more traditional "level up and gain new abilities" setup, which makes it a bit more accessible.
It really just depends what you're looking for. The Persona games are very "anime high school" style, while Nocturne and DDS are apocalyptic and serious, and Devil Summoner is kind of like a Japanese Sherlock Holmes.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Gingefners, The » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:42 am

Has the voice acting been changed for the P3 port I wonder? Had it been better originally I probably would've like P3 more than P4.
Gingefners, The
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby OL » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:10 pm

?
The voice acting for P3 wasn't bad... at the very least no worse than P4. I actually like P4's less, because Chie sounded like a 35 year old woman rather than a high schooler.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Gingefners, The » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:23 pm

I loved the voice acting in P4, had a bit of depth and character to my ears anyway. Chie's voice didn't bother me either, heard many teenagers that sound similar minus the American accent but I can't say the same for Fuuka and Ken in particular. They annoyed the hell out of me and I thought they sounded more robotic than Aigis.
Gingefners, The
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming