Persona/Shin Megami Tensei series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Persona 2 Wise Fwum Yo gwabe

Postby mue 26 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:33 pm

Carl Jung’s The Red Book and a collection of works by writers known as the Cthulhu Mythos. At the end of the day, the original Persona trilogy requires a lot of knowledge about folklore, philosophy, early 20th century New England horror fiction and a bevy of religions

All things I am very interested in. Sounds great, but is there any way us Pal people can play its sequel Eternal Punishment, Dorian?

Thanks
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Dorian » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:25 pm

Well, EP wasn't released in Europe and the US version costs fortune on eBay. I couldn't afford it, but I've bought the Japanese version (and even that was quite pricey for me) and used the US version's ISO on my modded PSX. It's a pretty crazy mix, but it was the only way for me to play it almost legally.

As for that quote - the author is far too snobbish. He had thrown things he likes into the pot just to make it look more intelligent (like that "early 20th century New England horror fiction"). In reality, Persona 2 has a lot of small touches from all kinds of works, but it's mainly about Jungian psychology take on things that Kazuma Kaneko and Cozy Okada experienced in their young days, wrapping it all in the typical SMT box (basically, a shitload of demons+wacky Japanese humour). With all honesty, I must say that the strength of the original Persona games lies not in deep philosophy or folklore, but in the characterization. These games are awesome because they go very deep with their characters. The rest is quite shallow and you shouldn't get so pumped about that quote because it blows things out of proportion.

BTW - this is my last post for some time as I need to handle certain things, like paying my net bills. :cry:
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: stuff

Postby mue 26 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:08 pm

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah I was fairly sure that reviewer was bein waaay too snoby. But its mainly the Jungian stuff I'm interested in anyway and I think its probably best to just have touches of it rather than too much anyway, I'm not looking for a full on philosophical discourse from Persona lol.

As for EP, I really need to find the simplest way to play it, as I'm sure your aware I'm rubbish with all this technical stuff. But we'll talk more when you get back. I hope all goes well for you Dorian!
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:58 pm

Someone please explain the title of this thread. It looks like 3 year old gibberish.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:04 pm

I was just thinking it sounds like a guy with a speech impediment saying "Rise From Your Garbage" lol
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:06 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote:I was just thinking it sounds like a guy with a speech impediment saying "Rise From Your Garbage" lol

:lol: wise fwun yo gwave
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Persona Series

Postby Axm » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:53 am

Currently im playing through P3P on my Vita. And also doing some P4A on 360. Looking very much forward to P4G on Vita as I havent beaten that one yet.

Generally im a newcomer to the series but did play P3:FES and P4 on PS2, just never completed them.
Also I havent yet played P1 or 2 but swear up and down that I will once I get through 3 and 4.

Also in other news,

Kotaku wrote:

Available while supplies last at participating retailers, this gorgeous Persona 4 skin for your Vita is yours free when you preorder the upcoming sprucing-up, Persona 4 Golden.

Not only is it sticky and colorful, the skin also melds seamlessly with the eight included wallpapers, transforming the face of your Vita into a work of art. Makes me want to leave my handheld on pause and sit it on a shelf forever.

Mind you this is one of those "while supplies last" promotions. Hopefully the game store employees will have some left over after they finish distributing them to their friends.

http://kotaku.com/5935494/preordering-p ... -so-pretty
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Re: Persona Series

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:09 am

I'll probably buy it I don't have much else yo play on Vita.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby mue 26 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:13 am

Aye, I'm somewhat of a Persona fan. Well, mainly thanks to P4. I did play P3 but never got very far, the single massive dungeon structure was a bit too much of a slog for me. P4 however, I loved. The greater variety and rural atmosphere of the game really elevated it. The grinding required was still too excessive for me and I didn't finish P4 either (though I came damn close), but I'd nonetheless rate it as one of the best JRPG's of the last decade or so.

I am a bit disappointed about Persona Arena being region locked on PS3, though. And as long as it stays that way I doubt I'll buy it. It was never an essential buy for me anyway.

I'm really looking forward to P5. If there's one thing I wish about P5, it's that it doesn't revolve around school kids. I love what they did with Catherine, and would really like a proper Persona game with slightly more mature characters. However, I know there's nearly zero chance of this happening, as the school girl obsessed Japanese fanbase wouldn't be pleased.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Tuffty » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:15 am

^ Besides, there are other SMT games that fulfill that need for older characters.

Persona 3 was what I got into and absolutely adored it. In particular, that final act, the foreboding buildup to the end, was so so good. It made me realise how I cared for these characters and that I didn't want the game to end. Also, one of the best end game bosses of all time. The enemy design, what happens during the battle and that end song just makes it absolutely perfect.

Persona 4 was just as good. I prefer it's combat to Persona 3, and perhaps prefer the story and the cast better. It's all about dat steak loving, kung fu fighting, tank kicking Chie Satonaka. I'm hugely excited for Persona 5.

And it goes without mentioning but the soundtrack to both these games are just amazing.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:51 am

Loved both P3 and P4 but some would say I didn't play them properly since I went with easy mode both times. I just got so bored doing nothing but grinding all the time at least putting it on easy makes it like other RPG's where grinding is every so often.

Kind of bummed about P4A being a fighting game as I hear it carries on the story. I'd love to play it but I just can't be arsed with a fighting game unless it's Smash Bros.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:03 am

Riku Rose wrote:Loved both P3 and P4 but some would say I didn't play them properly since I went with easy mode both times.

You played them and you enjoyed them, thats the most important part.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:06 am

^I know was a joking comment.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:09 am

Riku Rose wrote:^I know was a joking comment.

Nah i know just nipping the "YOU DIND'T EXPERIENCE THE LOVE DAT WAS DA HARDNESS OF PERSONA" stuff before anyone who didn't get the joke buzzes in. I'm getting to a point where I might just do that too, because like you I just can't stand the grind anymore.

Challenge is like sex, its fun if you want it, and some times when you don't it turns out being fun but if you really don't want it, its just painful and mentally scarring.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Stocke » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:47 am

I love persona 3 + 4. I was gutted to find out P4A was delayed for Europe.
Hopefully i have a decent chance to play it before going back to university.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:I'll probably buy it I don't have much else yo play on Vita.

P4TG is the only game in interested in on the vita so far. Might just buy it and play it on my flatmates vita, then sell it on.
Stocke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming