This Gen is in the twilight so it's time to reflect

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: This Gen is in the twilight so it's time to reflect

Postby Bluecast » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:55 pm

Madden is still being released on PS2
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Clint » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:07 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:Truth is the 70% of people who bought xbox 360s for fifa and cod aren't any better then the 70% that bought the wii for wii fit.

Bit of a strange one, that.

In all fairness, COD and FIFA are normally very good games, which offer far more in the way of entertainment and innovation than the Wii-fad franchises. It's like comparing a block of gold to a turd.

COD and FIFA arn't perfect, but they're generally punished for being extremely successful. I agree that they make minor improvements every year, but why brake something that works? There's no way you or anyone else could argue that they are bad games. They're pretty fucking good. Wii Fit on the other hand was a fad, and was intended to be a fad, a cash-in. Not to mention it was an awful idea. Like it or not COD and FIFA will go on for years.

Clint has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Clint
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: Fallout 3

Postby Martin » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:15 pm

I don't think COD has seen a release on PS2 in some years. The myriad EA Sports offerings don't really count. They put those games on everything! Everything except the Dreamcast.

The point, as you well know, is that this generation is not over and the arrival of the Wii U doesn't change that. When the others arrive and make the 'U look like last-gen stuff (and all the PC games stop using PS3/360 as lowest common denominators).. that's the end of this gen, and it'll be a couple years yet.

Martin has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: After Burner... Great!

Postby Bluecast » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:41 pm

You can bet one if not both launch at the end of next year.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Peter » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:57 pm

I will say 2 years, at the least. Bungie have a major new IP for this gen thats still under its codename. Without a name, photo, plot..... i very much doubt them and Activision would release a brand new IP on a dead console.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Bluecast » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:01 pm

Peter wrote: I will say 2 years, at the least. Bungie have a major new IP for this gen thats still under its codename. Without a name, photo, plot..... i very much doubt them and Activision would release a brand new IP on a dead console.

Just because new systems come out does not make the previous systems dead. DS still had some new IP's and games released this year. Big name ones. Fatal Frame 2 remake and Epic Mickey 2 still on Wii. PS2 many games after PS3. Won't be any different. Dvelopers already have durango kits and had them about a year.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:10 pm

Either way, when the next gen launches, it's still gonna be more lucrative to release games on current gen, so this one's gonna take at least three years to show any signs of dying out. Developers dedicating certain teams to next gen doesn't mean that they're planning to abandon the current one any time soon.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Bluecast » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:14 pm

Nah they won't. I do expect starting by end of 2013 more token released games on them however.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:35 pm

Online Activity on Current Gen vs Sales Figures and Projected Sales Figures of Next Gen will dictate it. Mark my words...

...with tippex if I'm wrong.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Bluecast
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Bluecast » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:54 pm

I'm one of 5 Americans that knows that tippex is white out in the states :P
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Martin » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:58 pm

Bluecast wrote: You can bet one if not both launch at the end of next year.

I bet neither is released by Christmas 2013. MS have only just gotten below the £200 mark with the 360, and Sony haven't really shifted their price at all since the first PS3 Slim came out. There were some bigger HDDs and some nice bundles available, but that's basically it.

I would guess that the whole idea behind the PS3 Super Slim is that 1) It reignites interest in the product. Sony have always done this, and every time they've had a best-seller. PS3 Super Slim will probably be a top product this Christmas. 2) It's cheaper to produce, so for now they make more money, and in the future there's a margin for aggressive price-reductions.

Bluecast wrote:Just because new systems come out does not make the previous systems dead. DS still had some new IP's and games released this year. Big name ones. Fatal Frame 2 remake and Epic Mickey 2 still on Wii. PS2 many games after PS3. Won't be any different. Dvelopers already have durango kits and had them about a year.

Well, those games came to the Wii are not a sign of anything that you're saying. The Wii is currently Nintendo's most-recent console. So, of course, if you're releasing Nintendo home-platform games any time before the 'U comes out, your game will be on Wii.

As for the dev kits, so what? For all you know they were/are beta kits, and the hardware for Durango was not/is not finalised. Often kits do go out in this state, long before their target platform has yet to even be finished itself. I believe I saw some Dreamcast games well over a year before the console was released in Japan, for example.

To reiterate: This thread, so-named "This Gen is in the twilight so it's time to reflect" is wholly-redundant at this time. The prices are still kind of up there, there's tons of big games still coming out, and Durango/PS4 have yet to even be announced by their respective owners. I imagine they may well like to see how the 'U performs, maybe so they can copy it's controls/improve on them? In addition to being a lot more powerful.

As I said, we can't start calling it quits on this gen just because Nintendo finally decided to release a current-gen console. I totally expect nothing but marginally-nicer looking games on Wii U than on PS3/360. No big deal. Every time I play Wii, I just feel I'm looking at a GameCube game. Which is probably the same feeling I'll get from this new one. Just replace 'Wii' with 'Wii U' and 'GameCube' with 'PS3/360', and voila.

Unreal Engine 3: PS3, 360 and Wii U.

Unreal Engine 4: PS4 and Durango.

;-)

So let's have this thread when it's actually time to have it. You know.. when Call of Duty is no-longer being made for 360/PS3, when the respective online services get removed/replaced/integrated. When magazines like '360 Magazine' put out their last ever issue. Most of all, when PS3 and 360 stock incorporate a tiny part of shop space/website space. That's when the doors are closing.

I looked it up, the last COD game for PS2 was some variant of World at War (by far my favourite of the series!) in 2008. Sounds about reasonable. The PS3 had been out two years by then, the 360 for three. In the end, we'll see. I strongly believe that this is a useless thread as of now. As it's mainly been four solid pages of everyone going "Too soon Ryudo, this gen isn't in its twilight yet", perhaps I'm on to something, eh?

Martin has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: After Burner... Great!

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:03 am

Bluecast wrote: It just looked like an HD Original Xbox game which it pretty much was.

The 360 version was a big improvement over the Gamecube/Xbox version.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Kenny » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:15 pm

I'm still not interested in Wii-U or any other new consoles. I prefer if they just keep the current gen going another 10 years or so.

Kenny has received 3 thanks from: Axm, MiTT3NZ, Spokane
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby lavrentis » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:59 pm

Thank fuck Apple don't make consoles.

lavrentis has received 2 thanks from: Bluecast, MiTT3NZ
lavrentis
Shenmue - THE best game
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Bluecast » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:17 pm

lavrentis wrote: Thank fuck Apple don't make consoles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Bandai_Pippin

Graphics "tacos"

Controller input "AppleJack"

:lol:
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming