Grand Theft Auto V

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Grand Theft Auto V

Postby Kenny » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:07 pm

Yeah, I don't get it either. The headline, though extreme, summed up the article well enough. It didn't mislead me or take anything out of context.

And I do agree with it. I mean if I had a choice to play a sexy female or even a Snoop-like cop, why the fuck would I even bother with the male leads? Especially if I can go to strip clubs and have female on female grind action (though preferably with the sexy one)? That's something Rockstar is totally not getting. I would love to see the story of a female cop or drug dealer mixed in there.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby mue 26 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:36 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: No idea, I'm still scratching mine. :(

:lol: I thought you might have been making a pun on not reading the content of that hyper link or something. Sorry, that was a bit of a paranoia moment. Yeah still no clue here either :lol:

As for the article. Hmm, I'm not sure. I don't think R* should be pressured to shoehorn a female protagonist into a game just to satisfy the critics. That isn't equality. I think we do need more good minority demograhic game protagonists, but I don't think badgering a big game developer to stick a female protagonist into a game where none was written, just because it's a very popular game, is the right way to do things. Having a token playable character just for the sake of it would be even more insulting.

mue 26 has received 3 thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty, OL, wude
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:49 pm

White people are the minority of the worlds population. So technically there are many many many minority protagonists in gaming. :P
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:00 pm

I started typing a response, realized it was way too long and just stopped.

But to keep it short, Dan Houser is a shitty writer.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:51 am

Am I the only one thats going to wait to purchase GTA5 when its in its inevitable $5 bargain bin 2 or 3 years from now? Its not even close to a need to play asap game... Much less worth spending $60 just to have it day 1. Idk just doesnt seem important to me at all, I dont understand what all the fuss about playing it asap is.

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: Bluecast
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:18 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: Am I the only one thats going to wait to purchase GTA5 when its in its inevitable $5 bargain bin 2 or 3 years from now? Its not even close to a need to play asap game... Much less worth spending $60 just to have it day 1. Idk just doesn't seem important to me at all, I don't understand what all the fuss about playing it asap is.

People have different ideas of whats good and not, or what they want to play. I'm not going to wait 2-3 years to play a game if I can play it now. I don't usually buy stuff as soon as it comes out because like FF13-2, Resident Evil 6, Mass Effects, Tomb Raider etc stuff just drops in price within weeks but years is a whole other story, thats how you get a backlog and thats how you miss out on stuff you might have really enjoyed.

mue 26 wrote:

:lol: I thought you might have been making a pun on not reading the content of that hyper link or something. Sorry, that was a bit of a paranoia moment. Yeah still no clue here either :lol:

As for the article. Hmm, I'm not sure. I don't think R* should be pressured to shoehorn a female protagonist into a game just to satisfy the critics. That isn't equality. I think we do need more good minority demograhic game protagonists, but I don't think badgering a big game developer to stick a female protagonist into a game where none was written, just because it's a very popular game, is the right way to do things. Having a token playable character just for the sake of it would be even more insulting.

If you need to shoehorn you're doing a bad job anyway. Lets look at Max Payne 3 for example, why is that theres never a woman who fires a gun in the entire game. This is fucking UNREAL considering Brazil, Sao Paulo specifically, has tons of female drug lords (like Fabiana Escobar). This is part of what makes Dan Houser a shitty writer, he gets treated like a proper writer, and he fancies himself one, but he doesn't really have scope or range in character. Hence he didn't realize the need for a "Mona sax" type character in MP3. He shoulden't be making token characters, it should be part of his creative process when trying to write a story about "hood life" or "south american drug cartels" to actually include some of the defining characteristics like women.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received 2 thanks from: Bluecast, Kenny
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Mitsuzuki » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:41 pm

Downloading the iFruit app for iOS- Android also supported. It's a companion to the game that lets you do vehicle customizations and whatnot. It's taking a long time to load today. I wonder why?
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Currently playing: Deep in the Destiny hole

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:23 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:
AnimeGamer183 wrote: Am I the only one thats going to wait to purchase GTA5 when its in its inevitable $5 bargain bin 2 or 3 years from now? Its not even close to a need to play asap game... Much less worth spending $60 just to have it day 1. Idk just doesn't seem important to me at all, I don't understand what all the fuss about playing it asap is.

People have different ideas of whats good and not, or what they want to play. I'm not going to wait 2-3 years to play a game if I can play it now. I don't usually buy stuff as soon as it comes out because like FF13-2, Resident Evil 6, Mass Effects, Tomb Raider etc stuff just drops in price within weeks but years is a whole other story, thats how you get a backlog and thats how you miss out on stuff you might have really enjoyed.

Dude, its just GTA, its one of the most whored out franchises in gaming, I aint worried about playing it right now. Hell I may never play it at all. I would like to see what all they changed from IV, hopefully everything.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:29 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote:I would like to see what all they changed from IV, hopefully everything.

Though I think the first part was a bit mean, I do agree a lot with this. Needs moar pre-GTA4 R* cheese...

St. Elmo's Fire has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:04 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:
mue 26 wrote:

If you need to shoehorn you're doing a bad job anyway. Lets look at Max Payne 3 for example, why is that theres never a woman who fires a gun in the entire game. This is fucking UNREAL considering Brazil, Sao Paulo specifically, has tons of female drug lords (like Fabiana Escobar). This is part of what makes Dan Houser a shitty writer, he gets treated like a proper writer, and he fancies himself one, but he doesn't really have scope or range in character. Hence he didn't realize the need for a "Mona sax" type character in MP3. He shoulden't be making token characters, it should be part of his creative process when trying to write a story about "hood life" or "south american drug cartels" to actually include some of the defining characteristics like women.

And to be honest, its not that difficult to write a female character into a game like this unless you're completely stuck figuring out what she should do besides sucking dick and fixing sammiches in the kitchen.

Once you get those ridiculous presumptions out of your head, its quite easy.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:27 pm

The ironing?
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Bluecast » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:12 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: Am I the only one thats going to wait to purchase GTA5 when its in its inevitable $5 bargain bin 2 or 3 years from now? Its not even close to a need to play asap game... Much less worth spending $60 just to have it day 1. Idk just doesnt seem important to me at all, I dont understand what all the fuss about playing it asap is.

Nope not the only one. Game looks stupid and the trailers look like a parody of a serious trailer even though that is not it's intention. I only liked VC as it didn't take itself too seriously and had this neon 80's setting and basically ripped off Scarface plus time it was just hilarious to how stiff it was and limited like the NPC AI. One thing that was fun was when you had the mansion and everything. I liked to start these face offs with the police and US Armed forces in my mansion.It usually ended with me on the roof blowing up so much shit before finally being taken down. That was great but when my first Xbox died in 2009 I lost all that data and never had the nerve to pay again. I tried SA on Xbox later but could not get into it and sold it. GTA III was kinda dull as well.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby mue 26 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:27 pm

He shoulden't be making token characters, it should be part of his creative process when trying to write a story about "hood life" or "south american drug cartels"

But why should it be prescriptive to have a female protagonist? Not every story necessarily needs a central female character, just as not every story needs a central male character. It would be nice to see more well written female leads, but if Dan Houser doesn't want one in his game and they aren't a part of his creative process, then that's fair enough.

And to be honest, its not that difficult to write a female character into a game like this unless you're completely stuck figuring out what she should do besides sucking dick and fixing sammiches in the kitchen.

No it isn't difficult. But should it be done just because it isn't difficult, when it won't improve the story in the slightest way? That's just tokenism.

mue 26 has received a thanks from: OL
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kenny » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:39 pm

That's presumptuous. Maybe it could, you don't know.

The only thing standing in the way is this Houser guy who just doesn't want to do it (and if he doesn't want to do it, obviously he shouldn't cause then it'll be forced). But who's to say someone else can't come in the future with a cool story for a female protag, push him aside, and just do it?

GTA is not like MGS where it's about one man. It's about a series of characters who get caught up in crime. They can be anybody and that's why it'll work. I'm not saying they should be "shoe-horned" in GTA5 cause the game is already finished. I'm talking about GTA6, 7, 8, 9, ect.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:55 pm

mue 26 wrote:
He shoulden't be making token characters, it should be part of his creative process when trying to write a story about "hood life" or "south american drug cartels"

But why should it be prescriptive to have a female protagonist? Not every story necessarily needs a central female character, just as not every story needs a central male character. It would be nice to see more well written female leads, but if Dan Houser doesn't want one in his game and they aren't a part of his creative process, then that's fair enough.

No it isn't difficult. But should it be done just because it isn't difficult, when it won't improve the story in the slightest way? That's just tokenism.

Is Mona Sax a token character or is she an integral piece of whats going on? when Max Payne 3 was in development, they had this realism kick, to the point where they sent people to Brazil to record VOs. In the entire game, theyre isn't a single "violent" female in all of Brazil. They spared no expense to make sure the language was fine, the areas were all ok, and even stuff like slang, but one of the most important parts of Sao Paulo, how women fit into the drug trade, was limited to damsels in distress and strippers.

"But he'd just be forcing one in" is an apologist way of thinking. No, women exist, they have stories, they have an effect half of the world's population not having any kind of bearing on your creative process just means you're out of touch with reality.

Plus the way women are used in GTA 5 is just bad in general.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming