Grand Theft Auto V

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Grand Theft Auto V

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:58 pm

I've broken my thumb and can't play GTA..

Of all the days, it had to be launch day.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:26 pm

So I have watched a few people streaming their play through of GTAV, and I must say it looks a bit more fuild than past games in the series.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Poetry in Motion » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:40 pm

the shear level detail is remarkable! Tweeted this earlier, just sat in awe!

Poetry in Motion
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

XBL: chappers2009
Steam: chaperman12
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: FIFA 14 NEXT GEN

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:55 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:GTAIV sucked ass, so it's going to take a lot to convince me that V is back to the PS2 era of Rockstar (which is when they were at their peak). Like, if you crash the car, the player character doesn't go flying through the windscreen like in IV? What about cheats? Does this game actually have any? And how much damage do the enemies take vs the player character?

I've played it for about 7-8 hours and I'd say it feels more like San Andreas then any of the other GTA's. It certainly is more like the PS2 days. I liked GTAIV but it was my least favorite of the bunch while so far this is up there with the others.

Going through the windscreen happened to me once.
There are cheats just like the old days.
Each enemy goes down in about 2 shots with a pistol. The shooting is very similar to Red Dead and if you aren't careful with your cover you die pretty quickly. Still if you die you go back to just a few seconds before. No more having to do the entire mission and drive across the entire map each time.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby OL » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:03 pm

Yeah, I'm enjoying it. The shooting and driving are the best ever in the series (I know I didn't have this much fun driving in IV), and the amount of content already feels staggering as hell. Not sure why anyone would think it takes itself too seriously either; I've already played side-missions that harken back to the GTA humor of old. Michael smoked some bad dope and had to fight off waves of attacking aliens, for one, while in another Franklin had to drive fast on a motorcycle so the paparazzo he's with could take pictures a starlet having sex inside a speeding limo. It's actually varied (unlike GTAIV), and it's all tongue-in-cheek as hell. I even went to the movie theater and watched a surprisingly lengthy animated movie called The Loneliest Robot in Great Britain, which was pretty entertaining.
And the main missions are really well-constructed so far, sometimes implementing slightly cinematic events. The chase down the freeway when Michael and Franklin are trying to get Michael's boat back was really satisfying.
It's also surprisingly solid for an open-world game of this size. I haven't run into any major glitches yet, outside of some random van getting stuck in a wall.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:06 pm

Played a couple of missions so far. Love how accurate Los Santos was made to look like LA.

I even recognized a couple of areas in the downtown part. Hoping to find my apartment somewhere here.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:20 pm

Riku Rose wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote:GTAIV sucked ass, so it's going to take a lot to convince me that V is back to the PS2 era of Rockstar (which is when they were at their peak). Like, if you crash the car, the player character doesn't go flying through the windscreen like in IV? What about cheats? Does this game actually have any? And how much damage do the enemies take vs the player character?

I've played it for about 7-8 hours and I'd say it feels more like San Andreas then any of the other GTA's. It certainly is more like the PS2 days. I liked GTAIV but it was my least favorite of the bunch while so far this is up there with the others.

Going through the windscreen happened to me once.
There are cheats just like the old days.
Each enemy goes down in about 2 shots with a pistol. The shooting is very similar to Red Dead and if you aren't careful with your cover you die pretty quickly. Still if you die you go back to just a few seconds before. No more having to do the entire mission and drive across the entire map each time.

Now that sounds pretty solid. May just pick it up after all. Can you go on a considerable rampage before being taken down by the cops? And how's the star system in this game? Do the Feds, SWAT team, Army etc chase after you as you rank up?
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:38 pm

I'm not one to see how high I can get my wanted level although the odd time I have got in epic chases. Instead of having to escape an area you can just hide as the police will only chase what they can see. So just like in Drive you can hide out under a bridge rather then get out of a circle. A few times I have took some sharp turns and got out and hid in someones back garden. One instance had me crack up as I was running into someones garden and see someone come round the corner so I just punched this woman and she went flying into the pool. All this was on about a 2 star wanted level.

I did fly some plane I stole over a no fly zone by mistake and got 4 stars and had some jets take me down. I also tried sneaking into the same place but got spotted and had army guns on the back of trucks with automatic guns chasing me.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:36 pm

Watched some friends play it tonight. Not missions, just messing around.

We tried stealing the fighter jet from the army base, then broke into the airport and hijacked a jumbo jet.

One thing I'd say as first impression, he entire world looks more vibrant and colourful compared the dingy feel of GTA IV.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:00 pm

It's pretty crazy atleast for American uppity conservative standards, that bong hits and topless nudity were implemented. Rockstar has pushed the envelope on this and I think they either know they wont get any flack for it because maybe the news media will cover more important things or they simply dont care if they get the attention. Hell, it would probably work out better for them if they did. I have no problem with it at this stage but imo I wouldnt want it to go any further than it already is. Dont really want to see a Hot Coffee mod esque sex game in GTAVII one day.
But for now, I think its pretty cool to see some tits and bong hits every once in awhile after pushing people off of Mount Chilidad.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby south carmain » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:09 pm

^Apparently GTA5 made 800 million in 24 hours. Something that generates that amount of money is most likely untouchable anyway no matter how much people whine
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Axm » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:16 pm

Without spoiling anything, im convinced this game will have some huge controversy soon. I just finished a story mission thats just plain barbaric. I wanted to just get past it and move on. Honestly I thought it was abit much.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby south carmain » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:22 pm

Axm wrote: Without spoiling anything, im convinced this game will have some huge controversy soon. I just finished a story mission thats just plain barbaric. I wanted to just get past it and move on. Honestly I thought it was abit much.

is it the one with Trevor and the pliers?
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Kenny » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:23 pm

I heard about that scene. Not that far in the game yet to see myself.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby south carmain » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:28 pm

Kenny wrote: I heard about that scene. Not that far in the game yet to see myself.

it has a political message hidden in there I guess, after all there are black listed prisons all across the globe where that sort of thing happens on a daily basis
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming