E3 2013 Build up

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: E3 2013 Build up

Postby ys » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:44 pm

Edit : Double post
Last edited by ys on Wed May 01, 2013 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby ys » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:46 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote: More chance of someone from Sega coming out with a copy of Shenmue 1 and II, putting them on the floor then taking a giant shit on them.

Is that for the press conference or behind closed doors for VIP's?

MiTT3NZ wrote: I seriously doubt that the recent comments of "I think SEGA might let me make it..." and "I suppose funding sites could be a possibility..." would lead to "Gotcha! We've actually been working on it for the last few years, here's a trailer!"

I know (I don't know if my sarcasm was obvious there). Every interview included a lot of "I think that they might allow to maybe let me develop it if I could possibly etc etc." It would be glorious to see the guy at a real gaming event again actually. Presenting stuff like back in the day. With the same enthusiasm when showing the world his vision.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed May 01, 2013 5:47 am

Respawn Entertainment's first game could be a XBox exclusive online multiplayer only that pits foot soldiers against mechs that soldiers can pilot.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... -exclusive

Of course EG can't resist using the worlds ''always-online Xbox exclusive '' rather than Online Multiplayer in the title. Because of course if it has 0 singleplayer then you will need a connection to play it. But always-online Xbox exclusive is sure to get the cheap hits they want.

Be funny if the bad reporting by games journalists wasn't so bad right now. Its like they have all become The Sun newspaper when reporting rumors.

Either way the game is confirmed for an E3 announcement.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri May 03, 2013 5:10 am

Conference Times

10 June
Microsoft 9.30am PST (6.30pm BST)
Ubisoft 1.00pm PST (10.00pm BST)
EA 3.00pm PST (00.01am BST, June 11)
Sony 6.00pm PST (3.00am BST, June 11)
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Yama » Sun May 05, 2013 11:13 am

I can not wait for E-3 this year, it's going to be a spectacle for sure. I feel it'll be an important point for the industry and where it's headed. Are we going to see stat slinging or actual unique visions come to life?

We may also see Microsoft finally shoot themselves dead...
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Sun May 05, 2013 11:37 am

It would be kinda fun to just see only Sony and Nintendo in the race, although I feel like Sony is going to win the upcoming console generation
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby south carmain » Sun May 05, 2013 12:15 pm

Yokosuka Martian wrote: It would be kinda fun to just see only Sony and Nintendo in the race, although I feel like Sony is going to win the upcoming console generation

I hope whatever happens sony have a strong competitor, sony are great at the moment with things like PS+ and all their indi/user friendly PS4 policies because the competition have forced them in to thinking this way. however when they start getting comfortable you can say goodbye to all customer privileges

south carmain has received a thanks from: Sonikku
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun May 05, 2013 4:35 pm

Yama wrote: I can not wait for E-3 this year, it's going to be a spectacle for sure. I feel it'll be an important point for the industry and where it's headed. Are we going to see stat slinging or actual unique visions come to life?

We may also see Microsoft finally shoot themselves dead...

Keep dreaming. But it would be a sad day if we ever got stuck with just 2 of the current 3 IMO. Nintendo just do what they want and seem to be stuck in their ways so its left to MS and Sony to push one another every step of the way so without 1 the other will go to a nasty place for us gamers.

Continued speculation that Dom is going back to EA in a couple months which could be good. I think all 3 could use a shake up.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Yama » Sun May 05, 2013 5:22 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote: Keep dreaming. But it would be a sad day if we ever got stuck with just 2 of the current 3 IMO. Nintendo just do what they want and seem to be stuck in their ways so its left to MS and Sony to push one another every step of the way so without 1 the other will go to a nasty place for us gamers.

Thankfully I dream of much more interesting things. \:D/

Seriously though, I didn't mean it literally in regards to actual hardware manufacturing. We all know their near unlimited financial backing makes this a non-issue. That much is obvious.

I'm talking purely in regards to all of the recent speculation, in addition to their recent state. The alarming rate of hardware failures and stronghold early on in regards to forcing first party peripherals still comes to mind. Sure, some of this is in the past. However they still nickel and dime like no other company. Having to pay for XBL Gold to view... Netflix? Something available on my damn calculator for free? I'm literally laughing here. Seeing that type of mindset from such a huge company is disgusting. Mix that in with the recent rumors and it looks to be even worse in some regards, especially with this app centric mindset.

This is all coming from someone who has been on XBL for close to ten years now. I enjoyed some of my other consoles more, though always gave Microsoft credit for following through with a solid online plan. Back in 2004 there was nothing better console wise in regards to online, I still long for those PGR2/Crimson Skies all nighters. Even now I find myself logging into XBL more than any other service, just for the party system and better ports (in many cases due to being the lead platform) alone. Point is, through out it all I’ve also seen them shift drastically in their focus.

I’m anticipating their conference, though it will tell a lot. I too am a firm believer in competition. It only benefits the consumer, nobody wants or needs a stronghold. The problem is as of late, Microsoft has been treating it as one. There is no place for that and despite any good they have done, nobody likes to be taken advantage of. If this direction continues the market will undoubtedly shift even more. While some consumers don’t know any better, others do and the general consensus can shift rather quickly, especially during a transitional period. A big plus is that almost everyone has one, so it's easy to socialize. If this is taken for granted, just as many people could pick the other console during this period, especially if it offers more than the previous generation of XBL at a lower price. Mix in easy development on the other end and the superior ports can quickly disappear as well. I’m all for more as long as it pushes creativity and benefits us, the consumers. I’m going into E-3 with an open mind and there is still software that I care for on both ends, though I am a bit skeptical thanks to the recent years and rumors combined. This will be a big E-3 for Microsoft.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

Postby Bluecast » Sun May 05, 2013 6:14 pm

I'd be ok with a 2 horse race. 3 is kinda crowded and harder on the wallet. Love my 360 but don't feel MS adds much to the console wars. I'd be ok with Sony and Nintendo slugging it out. If a Man could really dream be Sega and Nintendo only with consoles,but it's 2013 not 1993.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Yama » Sun May 05, 2013 11:26 pm

I feel that way sometimes, though like I said in my wall of text, it's good to have healthy competition because we as consumers benefit from it. It'd be pretty rough if Sony had no competitors, a good amount of the upcoming plan would likely cease to exists if the envelope wasn't pushed. Not to mention Wii U is a different animal, hence it wouldn't be as much of a direct competitor and it'd equate to a semi stronghold.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

Postby Bluecast » Mon May 06, 2013 12:26 am

Actually that's why I like it. Much like the Genesis vs SNES they were so different and each offered something very different from each other instead of being so similar. If you have 2 of basically the same thing..it's already stale and that is basically what happened this gen. HD twins. Have one console offer something and the other offer a different experience. What made the 16 bit wars so great. Well you say but did not offer anything new control wise. It did with Shoulder Buttons. Then Genesis had to respond with Six. SNES offered FX chip so Sega struggled and hurried to bring 32X. Still in the library one offered more Action games and Arcade ports the other RPG's and Platformers. Being different while going head to head is what makes it competitive. Not just more of the same. Wii U would offer one way and PS4 offers another. Don't need two power house consoles doing the same thing. That's the opposite of competition. That's getting stale.

Bluecast has received a thanks from: Yama
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon May 06, 2013 5:56 am

Yama wrote:..

OK hard to tell as you often see people saying they want so and so out of gaming for nothing more than fan boy reasons.

I don't mind paying gold because i feel its a better online service than PSN. PSN does some sweet things like letting you rent games for free and having Netflix and any other product that requires its own subscription as Gold only is silly of MS. Technically its still ''free'' as the cost of XBLA has not gone up because of those products but yes if someone has an account MS might as well let them use the service on their console to boost their usage numbers.
If people don't want to pay for online play then they wont buy a Gold account just so they can watch films on Netflix or Love Film on their console when other consoles have them available to all.

I don't hate the change in focus over the last few years. This gen has been dragged out and MS have used the extra few years to get their brand to where they always wanted it to be. Now the question is can they combine everything they have done over the last 10 years and make 1 complete must have entertainment package that offers the best games and multimedia content around?

They could but IF they turn round and say you need to always be connected to the internet? Then they will have just shot themselves in the foot before the consoles even out. But i really don't think they are dumb enough to do that.

I'm actually more worried about Nintendo's direction right now than MS because it just seems like they have completely lost touch with gamers and i really feel that we could be about to see another SEGA.
But MS or Sony without the other fighting them? Would be terrible for US gamers IMO because they would be in a position where they could try and treat us how ever they like and would someone else come in to make the 3rd man? If so who? Apple!?! Fuck that.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Yama » Mon May 06, 2013 11:06 am

Who Really Cares? wrote:OK hard to tell as you often see people saying they want so and so out of gaming for nothing more than fan boy reasons

Yeah, but I've never partook in such nonsensical tripe, have I? I play games, not labels. The only "war" that had any passion was Sega versus Nintendo and that was just flat out fun, even the marketing team back then had fun with it. Now it's an electronic giants versus another, it's all corporate and dry. If one seriously finds that to be passion inducing, they should reevaluate their definition of fun.

Who Really Cares? wrote:they would be in a position where they could try and treat us how ever they like

Except for the fact that Microsoft and only Microsoft has been treating it as so for years now due to a small United States lead. It's no surprise that the lead vanished. Perhaps people got tired of paying for quadruple overpriced hard drives when the main competitor allows any to be inserted. Or the fact that the play and charge kit 3/4 times doesn't work out of the box, meanwhile I've never heard of a PS3's controller loosing charge life. Or the horrible first party mic's, both wireless and wired, when any decent bluetooth could be used elsewhere. Maybe they were put off by a $100+ wireless adapter early on. Or the fact that most people have been through a handful of the consoles alone. Seriously, that's the act of a company who already thinks they have no competitor, it's horrible. Funny thing? We've seen this before but from Sony. They thought it'd sell based on the name alone, yet we all know how that went. It took years to reverse that misfortune.

Now, with that said, like yourself I too believe XBL is worth it. However I don't think it will be for much longer. I said it in the previous post, I've had it for close to ten years and was one of the original supporters. Like yourself, I'd rather pay for a good online service than use one in shambles. I've said this to so many of my pals who refuse to hop on the 360 bandwagon. I prefer the PS3 as a console, though despise it's network. I don't deprive myself of superior net play and ports. When it comes to fighting games, most ran better on the 360 both architecturally and network wise, plus it's easier to network. The online component is cohesive, it's easy to add a new user, check their history, invite to a party and chat it up, etc. PSN still doesn't support cross game chat, it's ages behind and dead out of the gate in comparison.

So there you have it, I too have enjoyed the 360 despite all of this thanks to XBL. Problem is, the PS4 looks to make current XBL look dated upon arrival. With that, a free or even similarly priced model would immediately entice and wipe away the single stronghold Microsoft's platform has had. This is why I say E-3 is going to be very important, if Sony continues to impress Microsoft will have a serious problem. On the other hand, I'm more than eager to see what Microsoft does have to show. I think the problem this generation is that instead of topping each other, each manufacturer tried to have what the other had. It didn't work, it just wasted our time. With that said, the ball is in Microsoft's court. Sony's network model was seriously impressive, so only one of two things can happen. They can blow us away with creativity thus holding their position or they can continue with this facade of a stronghold and turn the educated consumer away. I'm legitimately interested, hopefully we have two major manufacturers putting out quality models and hardware this generation. If not, I'll likely only be getting one out of the gate, unless some unpassable software seriously warrants otherwise. That's a stretch, though, especially early on.

Yama has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon May 06, 2013 11:40 am

To be honest i couldn't have ever said you were a fan boy or not as Ive not seen many posts from you until recently. :P

Might be like that in the US? But in the UK and Europe its Sony who like to take the piss sadly which is probably one of the reasons why the 360 is the top selling console in the UK[over took the Wii a little while back].
PS4's online could make the current Live look dated but all signs point to the new XBox getting a major facelift as far as that goes as well.[They also bought a video sharing company a few years ago]

MS have been creating and buying several companies over the last few years so I'm hoping they come out strong with some new IP's that are not just racers or shooters.
They also need to get Mistwalker working on Lost Odyssey 2.
Sony need to get The Last Guardian sorted as its at this point in time the only first party title from them i want.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming