E3 2013 Build up

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: E3 2013 hype train starts now!

Postby Bluecast » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:24 pm

Was it WRC or somewhere else I read that MS is hiring big talent for Rare and may have something in store for Durango?
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:27 pm

They have signed up a few people from other companies over the last few months and they were advertising for a AAA project not long ago.
Word is the game will be mature which caused many to think the Conker follow up was back on but i think the guy who voiced him is no longer with Rare?

MS themselves said that Rare have some power back due to the success of the KS series and with Phil now in charge of their Euro division?? Who knows maybe Rare wont be stuck on Kinect titles[they are still make one of them as well]
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Bluecast » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:37 pm

Be great to see them make great games again. I know they were doing an RPG on SNES but eventually ended up as Banjo and the only real remnant from that project is Black Eye the pirate. Maybe they can delve into RPG's again.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:46 pm

Would actually like them to go back to Urchin

http://www.unseen64.net/2009/04/04/urch ... cancelled/
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:04 pm

I think honestly the thing I want the most out of the next playstation and xbox is backwards compatability disc support. If thats not there I will be very dissapointed. Theirs alot of games this gen I still need to play and want to continue to play. I dont want to have 20 systems pluged in or to have to swap the space under the TV. And if they do have BC, for the love of god, dont take it away later.

Axm has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:07 pm

They would be shooting themselves in the foot if they didn't put it in.
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby Axm » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:16 pm

Sad thing is I have a feeling Sony will opt into not doing hardware BC. They could easily decide "hey everyone you can still play ps3 games by downloading them from the store!" And that totally seems like a thing Sony would do.
Microsoft too. Especially if they stop using DVD and move to blu-ray or a proprietary disc format with locks for DRM.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Bluecast » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:28 pm

I might be wrong but could have sworn Sony hinted or said they won't have BC.

Edit guess this was it. But take it for what it is another pre launch rumor
http://www.examiner.com/article/playsta ... le-for-ps3
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:28 pm

I would also be equally pissed, if your games will be locked to a specific console, which would kill off the used game industry. Also, wouldn't wanna pay full price for every crappy/good game that's out there. Ridiculous
Last edited by Yokosuka Martian on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:34 pm

theres only a handful of games I'd pay full price for to start with.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Rakim » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:59 pm

What I'm most concerned about when it comes to locking games to a console is how it will kill the dreams of any late-comers to that gen who hope to go game hunting in the future when the console is dead and Sony/etc have moved on to the next incarnations.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:06 pm

Did read something the other week saying BC will not be a simple put disc in and it works.
It claimed MS has around 80% of the 360 games working on it but when someone puts a % of that large a collection of games i feel they are pulling the number out their arse.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:48 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvzHFh1874k[/youtube]

BBC has had a patent for this for some time.

Not sure if this means some legal issues for MS or not. Also possible they bought the technology like the bought Kinect from Zcam.

http://n4g.com/news/1153099/has-microso ... illumiroom
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Sonikku » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:35 pm

I almost always buy new, though I very rarely pay full price. (I can be a real penny pinching cheapskate bitch sometimes) I'm not absolutely against buying used, it's merely a question of value in my opinion. Obviously used is less, but how much less is my question. At certain thresh holds it just isn't worth it to offset the condition and possible long term risk. I remember asking for a Sega 32x (don't laugh) for Christmas when my mother wanted to buy used from electronic boutique. They wanted $95 for it, offering a meager 5% savings off of the $100 price tag at the time. Such meager savings weren't worth it enough for me to overlook the fact that I have no idea what kind of care the previous owner had given it, especially if they cared so little for it that they were willing to trade it in for whatever few meager dollars EB was paying for it. Sure enough, "santa" brought a used version for Christmas that had no manual.

I had no idea how to figure out the elaborate cable scheme without it and more than that, it was dented and poorly cared for. agh :mad: I understand there are starving kids in Africa and all, but I always took emaculate care of my things and it drove me crazy to no end at the shabby shape the hardware was in as it cast a drab shadow over the look of my entire genesis/cd super console. From that point forth I just opted to always buy new for the peace of mind. Software is no exception either. I just don't care for mangled cases and/or scratched discs that still only for the most part work. And woe unto the fool that buys a used xbox 360 Xenon/zepher unit from gamestop for whatever paltry savings they offer. 5%-10% discount just isn't enough to justify that kind of risk. It would have to 50% for me to even remotely consider used on some things. Better just to be patient, keep your eyes open for a deal or discount and be prepared to snatch the opportunities as they come if you want to pay less for new in the shrink wrap products.

I suppose they also help out the industry a bit too. :)
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:55 pm

Ryudo wrote: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvzHFh1874k[/youtube]

BBC has had a patent for this for some time.

Not sure if this means some legal issues for MS or not. Also possible they bought the technology like the bought Kinect from Zcam.

http://n4g.com/news/1153099/has-microso ... illumiroom

Like anything, the devil is in the details.

It really depends on how the patent is written, and that particular country's laws. In addition, it also depends on how you achieve said ability. You can sometimes achieve the same result without infringing on a patent. In theory you can't patent an idea, only the implementation.

At this stage though, there is no infringement as MS hasn't actually made or sold a product.

Showing somebody's patent in action is not an infringement.

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming