Tomb Raider

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Tomb Raider

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:34 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNhA4BGFgHk[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvl4hPZuqpE[/youtube]
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:10 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCe8-1dbXZc[/youtube]
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:40 pm

ShopTo are proccessing my order so I should hopefully have it Monday or release day. Quite weird us posh guys are getting the same time as the rednecks but I'm quite happy about it since I'm always busy weekends and have jack shit early in the week.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Tuffty » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:41 pm

Played the first two hours. It is very guided, holds your hand a lot but it's still tutorialising, it'll get less restrictive I'm sure. The standout so far is the island itself. It's a very good looking game and the island looks stunning already.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:12 am

Agree with that. Only played a couple hours so far but its controls very well and everything looks beautiful.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby TEEPO™ » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:44 am

Tuffty wrote: Played the first two hours. It is very guided, holds your hand a lot but it's still tutorialising, it'll get less restrictive I'm sure. The standout so far is the island itself. It's a very good looking game and the island looks stunning already.

It gets much more open as you go along. You can use the campsites for fast travel to the different parts of the island once you've explored it. It's almost open-world. There isn't any side quests as such, but you can raid optional tombs for extra rewards and you can collect various items in each area, sort of like the AC series. The collecting part might seem boring at first but it's an excuse to explore every detail of the island. It's worth seeing everything because they've put so much effort and detail into this game.
TEEPO™
Banned
Banned

Currently playing: with my sister

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:29 am

Yeah the games opened up for me now and no longer feels like its holding my hand.

Getting very impressed with it.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:48 pm

Very polished game but needs more tomb raiding and less fighting. Enjoying shooting a arrow in peoples head but would like more puzzles.

Same issue i had with the Uncharted series which this does feel like a lot [i know Lara came first and Uncharted was a nod to that and Indie]
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Tuffty » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:00 pm

^ Agree with you 100%. I think it's a huge stretch to even call the optional tombs as the traditional TR tombs because they're so goddamn simple. In fact, the last 2 tombs I've gone to have revolved around the same 'puzzle'. Put weights down on a man made, mechanical platform (rather odd to find one of those in an ancient undiscovered tomb but whatever), wait til it comes down, throw the weights off, rise up with the platform and that's it. I mean these are optional tombs, this is where some of the challenge should be outside of the main path the game takes you down, but it's just all disappointing considering that TR Underworld had some really good environmental puzzles. I know Crystal Dynamics is more than capable so yeh, it's disappointing to see.

I like the game, enjoying the combat and traversing through the open areas, it's a very decent game for what it is but....it's just so by the numbers. Was hoping for more TR than Uncharted, even though I should have expected that it wouldn't be the case based on the marketing. I feel that if it had the same combat system with the number and difficulty of tomb exploration and puzzles of TR Underworld, then it would be the perfect TR game.

Tuffty has received a thanks from: Who Really Cares?
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:09 pm

Yeah. The last tomb i did simply required me to put 3 gas cans on a metal seesaw [which looked out of place in a acient tomb] to hold my weight so i could run and jump.
The puzzle was basically getting the 3 cans off their shelves.

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: Tuffty
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:56 pm

Finished the main story and would give the game a 7. Its well made but like Uncharted needs more adventure/puzzles and less shooting.

Still what it is is very well made and its a good origins story. Only played 1 game of MP which was terrible so maybe they should have spent the MP time on puzzles?

Finished it with 71% complete so ill go and look for the other stuff at some point.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Yama » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:21 pm

Really enjoyed the game myself, only have one complaint. The lack of new game plus. I did 100% on my first run and it took me quite some time (no videos or guides), though the inability to enjoy most of what you unlock near the end is quite silly. I'm sure the next game will change this, but it definitely hinders replay value. I'd like some more optional tombs as well, they were only an appetizer as to what I desired.

Yama has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Yokosuka Martian
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:49 am

Its a good game just as i said i would have liked less shooting at times which is the same issues i have with the UC series.

Look forward to more TR which will probably come next gen now.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Previous

Return to General Gaming