Gaming Thoughts Of The Day 2.0

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Gaming Thoughts Of The Day 2.0

Postby Sonikku » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:32 pm

I'm hooked. :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nT5NgqjygM[/youtube]

For reference, listen to Wiley's stage. :P 9:44
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby lavrentis » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:13 pm

Keep coming back to Mirrors edge. I bought it for PC back in the day, PS3 (which is now broken) and now ordered off eBay for my new 360! Love the atmosphere of the game. A gem of this generation.

lavrentis has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, OL
lavrentis
Shenmue - THE best game
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Thief » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:27 am

Thief wrote: Does anybody know any good war video games that aren't first/third person shooters, real-time strategy, or JRPG? Kind of a weird question... I'm having a hard time coming up with many for some reason.

Thank you everybody who responded. It's really hard for me not to be really picky about this for some reason. I'm hoping to find something with a semi-realistic art style and tone regardless of whether it's sci-fi/whatever or not, which kind of eliminates Advance Wars, Metal Slug, and Valkyria Chronicles although they are all very good games. I also prefer the war to be between mankind rather then against an alien foe.. which would also eliminate XCOM: Enemy Unknown unfortunately.

OL mentioned Front Mission which would actually be the perfect example of something I would want. Problem is that I'm already very familiar with Front Mission :P. I've been looking into Spec Ops The Line lately because I've noticed OL and Henry Spencer talk about it on here lately (wow it really feels like I'm eavesdropping sometimes on here) and after some research it seems like the kind of game I'm looking for despite it being a third person shooter. I've also been taking a notice to the Ace Combat series -- which I never got a change to play so I ordered Ace Combat 4 off of ebay for $10.

Lastly, also because of OL, I've been wanting to get into Armored Core for a while now... however I'm not really sure where to start and how to invest my time into the game. I heard that Armored Core V is mostly online but is the community pretty much dead? I'm not even a big fan of online to begin with, could I enjoy the game by playing it single player?

Anyway... why do I have to be so incredibly picky? I'm grateful for people like OL and Henry Spencer because they seem to like a lot of the same stuff I do so I can just lurk and steal game recommendations from them, haha. Thanks again for the help guys.

Thief has received a thanks from: OL
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:15 am

Armored Core is kind of an odd series to get into because almost no matter where you start, it never really gives off a newbie-friendly vibe. The controls for the early games are (and always have been) pretty hard to get used to, while the later games are still really complex from a customization standpoint and require a lot of trial to really "get" it.
If you can find it, the very first game on PS1 is still a really cool experience, and probably the simplest when it comes to customization. I always change up the controls on the PS1 games so that they play like current dual-analog games, except using the D-pad and the face buttons in place of the left and right sticks. Makes it much easier to wrap your head around that way (though it's still a bit awkward).
Armored Core V was built as a multiplayer experience, but the single-player campaign is still very lengthy and worthwhile. Probably the most accessible in terms of appeal, too, since the story is a little more prominent and the graphics are just fantastic. Wouldn't be a bad place to start, really. And the atmosphere is certainly more in line with the "war" style that you're looking for.

EDIT: God, the battle system looks so good in this. Can't freakin wait. And the fact that the video is in english means it can't be that much longer now...
Supposed to be a "summer" release, but dammit, it feels like it's taking forever.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYJRGXwcpUI[/youtube]

OL has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:07 pm

^I know I've trashed "Tales of" on here before, but when I saw that video it definitely made me interested in it. The voice acting isn't actually over the top horrendous anime drivel that I'm used to hearing from that series. And the free roaming and battle system, of course, is what interests me the most. I may actually pick it up when it comes out this "Summer".

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:17 pm

that trailer actually made me want this game a little bit less. the character animations look so stiff, the lip sync is off. There is something that just screams PS2 about it. I guess thats not neccesarily a bad thing, but its for PS3... the world and character desgins look fine, it just looks so last gen in alot of ways. What is the Tales series gonna be like on PS4 ya think?

There were obvious improvements from the PS1 tales games to the PS2 tales games, why does it seem like many games from japan didnt really make the jump to current gen, properly? And the few that are, are just now doing it at the end of the current generation. Meh.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Samanosuke Akechi » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:20 pm

No more Cing...no more mysteries with Kyle Hyde :sad: Just finished The Last Story and greatly enjoyed it.

Samanosuke Akechi has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Samanosuke Akechi
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby OL » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:40 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: ^I know I've trashed "Tales of" on here before, but when I saw that video it definitely made me interested in it. The voice acting isn't actually over the top horrendous anime drivel that I'm used to hearing from that series. And the free roaming and battle system, of course, is what interests me the most. I may actually pick it up when it comes out this "Summer".

I'm sure it'll still have a lot of the usual cutesy/cheesy anime stuff that you hate so much (it's just a part of the series as a whole; no getting around it, really), but yeah, the gameplay just looks excellent. I mean, this honestly looks the best the Tales series has ever been. I'm not sure what AnimeGamer wants out of it, but I think it looks fun as hell, and oh-so-pretty on top of that.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:22 pm

The battle system is graces was really good because they decided to chuck TP, which actually means you're unrestrained with special attacks and makes the game feel more like a hack and slash then a standard action rpg since you now have attack trees.

I don't remember the battle system from Xillia but i played Xillia 2 recently and thats got a ton of cool combat options (like changing weapons mid battle)

I like the series, I like star ocean more but for all its cheese and cliche Tales is kind of an old reliable fuckbuddy. I'm always satisfied afterwards.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: OL
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Bluecast » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:32 pm

Trailer did nothing for me other than "ugh Tales...". Guess it's hopeless for me to get into the series.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:34 pm

most likely, you'd be better off trying one of the 2d ones first if the 3d ones just don't do it for you.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby south carmain » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:36 pm

I've been playing tales of destiny 2 myself recently. I love the charm it has
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Bluecast » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:36 pm

Sad thing is I love cel shaded look for an RPG. Reminds me of SNES 2D games full of color. Just something about how cliche this series annoys me so bad yest I like other RPG's that are pretty cliche. Maybe just Tales is more cliche than cliche itself.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:43 pm

I have never beaten a Tales game. Dont really know what I want out of it. I used to have Tales of Destiny 1 and 2 and Symphonia. Never spent much time with any of them unfortunately I got rid of them, I will say Tales of Destiny 2/Eternia I always thought looked really good. Maybe I should I just leave the series alone, seeing as I betrayed it and got rid of my collection.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:50 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: I have never beaten a Tales game. Dont really know what I want out of it. I used to have Tales of Destiny 1 and 2 and Symphonia. Never spent much time with any of them unfortunately I got rid of them, I will say Tales of Destiny 2/Eternia I always thought looked really good. Maybe I should I just leave the series alone, seeing as I betrayed it and got rid of my collection.

I loved symphonia but eternia is definitely my favourite in the series. if you ever plan on revisiting it then pick up that one first
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming