PoliceNauts for Sega Saturn - English Version

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

PoliceNauts for Sega Saturn - English Version

Postby Bambi » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:25 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BevWB86UAkg[/youtube]
Policenauts is without a doubt one of the greatest cinematic adventure games ever released. Despite being such a timeless title with a huge following, Konami's multi-console release never ventured out of Japan. The final port of Policenauts, the more complete Sega Saturn version, is finally being fan translated.

Policenauts? You're not alone in wondering what this elusive title might be. In 1994 Hideo Kojima wrote and directed an adventure game featuring a hard science fiction storyline for Konami, which was initially released for the PC-9821 computer platform in 1994. The game focuses around our protagonist, Jonathan Ingram, a detective who travels to the stars into Earth's space colony in an attempt investigate the mysterious circumstances surrounding his ex-wife's murder and her new husband's disappearance.

The arrival of this Sega Saturn translation, however, is not the first time Policenauts has been made accessible to English speaking audiences. Game hackers successfully converted all of the in-game dialogue in the PlayStation 1 port to English, releasing their work on Hideo Kojima's 46th birthday. While this feat may have been unofficial, Konami supposedly worked on an official English translation of the Sega Saturn version many years ago, only to scrap development following various complications.

So why exactly should you care about this fan translation patch - especially when there is already a PlayStation 1 version available? The Sega Saturn port of Policenauts features several additional scenes, a slightly modified story and light gun support - effectively making the Sega Saturn edition of the game the definitive one.

The patch to convert the Sega Saturn port's in-game dialogue to English is still in development, however, the team behind this release recently demonstrated their work at the Spanish retro gaming convention, RetroMadrid.

- Source.

Not sure if this has been discussed already but I know it would interest a couple of you.

Bambi has received 5 thanks from: Bluecast, Henry Spencer, Mr357, Segata Sanshiro Jr., Thief
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: PoliceNauts for Sega Saturn - English Version

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:17 pm

I'd rather have the PC-98 version. That is basically the Director's Cut (almost double in script size from the 3DO and PSX versions).

Still, there's a couple of new scenes in the Saturn version, so I'll play it just to see them. I bet the PC98 version is impossible to hack.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Crimson Ryan » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:46 pm

I loved the game on PlayStation. I actually bought (and still own) the original game intending to burn the translation to play on a modded PSoe before downloading the torrent and playing on PC. I'll be sure to check this out!
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:26 pm

Interesting. It's weird whenever someone actually bothers to romhack a Sega Saturn game but I'm glad they do. I'll be sure to give this one a go as well... although burning Saturn games had a trick to them that I can't remember. I think the music files need to be wav or something.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:55 pm

So how does this work exactly? Does it have to be played on a Saturn emulator, or is it possible to burn a copy of the game with the patch applied to a cd, and play it in an actual Saturn?
I've been mulling over the idea of getting a Saturn pretty soon, so if it's the latter, this sounds great.
I've also been wondering the same thing about the Front Mission 5 translation. I'd much rather play it on an actual system.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:57 am

Generally with these translations you can but you need to have a system thats modded to accommodate that.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: OL
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Thief » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:38 am

The Saturn requires a modchip that you can buy for $40 from Racketboy. It's really easy to install even if you're a beginner to soldering. Playing Front Mission 5 is much easier though, all you need to do is install freemcboot on a PS2 memory card and ESR patch the iso before you burn it. Doesn't cost a thing (minus the game that you originally import and extract the ISO from).

Thief has received 2 thanks from: OL, Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Ziming » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:11 pm

All the Shining Force III games have been fan-translated. Simply apply the translation patch and burn them onto a CD-R. Another game that's currently being translated is Dragonforce 2.
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:24 pm

when did this happen?
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:02 pm

Oh shit, yeah, Dragon Force 2 and Shining Force III. And it is like Ziming and Thief ("TEEF!") say it is; very easy. If even I can play import and fan translated games on the Saturn, anyone can.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Ziming » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:56 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: when did this happen?

I believe they completed it years ago. Right now they are fine-tuning the translation.
http://sf3trans.shiningforcecentral.com/

Torrent with all 3 games.
http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/6951180/ ... English%5D

The Dragonforce 2 translation has been in the works for over 2 years. Right now they are looking for translators.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0lpM1dxSMU[/youtube]
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:41 pm

I have all three games o ripping them isn't a problem I just never realized they finished the actual patch.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby drunkensailor » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:49 am

Ziming wrote:
Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: when did this happen?

I believe they completed it years ago. Right now they are fine-tuning the translation.
http://sf3trans.shiningforcecentral.com/

Torrent with all 3 games.
http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/6951180/ ... English%5D

The Dragonforce 2 translation has been in the works for over 2 years. Right now they are looking for translators.

the dragon force 2 translation has been completed and can be downloaded and on top of that the policenauts saturn translation has a good chance of already getting released next month

drunkensailor has received a thanks from: Mr357
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Mr357 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:29 pm

I absolutely loved Snatcher, and have been looking forward to playing this game. I can, of course, play it on an emu or the actual PS1, but there's something about the Saturn that I just love.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby drunkensailor » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:42 pm

Mr357 wrote: I absolutely loved Snatcher, and have been looking forward to playing this game. I can, of course, play it on an emu or the actual PS1, but there's something about the Saturn that I just love.

then hold off and wait till you get to play it on the saturn very soon with better graphics, a few extra scenes and most of all lightgun support
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Next

Return to General Gaming