Tales Series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Tales Series

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:12 pm

OH ok gotcha, I was like Tales of Destiny for Dreamcast? O_o never heard about that. But then did a little research and realized the directors cut was developed for PS2. Wow, they still havent done fan translations of that yet, even?
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Stocke » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:36 pm

Their translation patch for the PS1 version of Tales of Phantasia came out recently. They started that in 2000. Sadly they're not a very fast translation group.
Here's their site if anyone's interested in what they're working on
Stocke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:29 pm

Stocke wrote: ^ If you don't like the earlier games in the series like ToS I'm not sure you'd like this any better. By all means give it a go, but if you're not sure i wouldn't pay full price.

AnimeGamer183 wrote: Was there ever a fan translation of the real Tales of Destiny 2?

If i remember correctly, the group that is handling that translation is doing Tales of Destiny DC first. Found out about it after following the Tales of Innocence translation project.

While I'm excited, i imagine it's gonna take a long time for them to release anything. The Tales of Destiny DC translation started in early 2009. I'm sure we've got a few years wait yet.

Mah man Tales of Symphonia is the 5th game in the series. It also happens to be the game that grizzled Tales vet like myself started to become disenchanted with the series. Tales was a very different series before that game so its possible his hatred of that particular one (which was most peoples first tales game as recently Hideo Baba went on record saying it was the game that sold the most copies in other territories)

Just figured he might wanna try a 2D one first, then maybe one of the later 3d games like Xillia or Abyss.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:17 pm

So what the tales series does is like what Dragon Quest does when it comes to keeping it old school and never changing, but with anime cliches?
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:22 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: So what the tales series does is like what Dragon Quest does when it comes to keeping it old school and never changing, but with anime cliches?

Kinda. The ones to come out in english are always the same chosen one story with the same basic characters and stuff, and they're generally the 3D ones.

In terms of playstyle, Eternia and Phantasia play really different from each other, which plays really different from Destiny, which plays super different from Rebirth (rebirth plays like Guardian Heroes)
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Stocke » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:22 pm

May as well post this here quickly,
Apparently a fan translation for Tales of the Tempest was released this month. I've heard the game is pretty damn bad, so i didn't think anyone would translate it.

I'm debating whether it's worth giving it a go...

A small quote from the lead translator:

Message from throughhim413,
This game is terrible. The graphics are terrible, the story is terrible, and the
programming is terrible. The characters and music are okay. Sometimes. As ridiculous as
the game appears on the surface, let me assure you that it is many times worse under
the hood. The way this game was cobbled together, particularly the menu, still baffles
me. It's difficult to find a game with plot twists that are either so blindingly
obvious or so blindingly stupid that you can't help but laugh at every turn. Truly,
Tempest runs the gamut of cliches, even for a series as cliche-ridden as the Tales
series. If I had to say what the best part about Tempest is, it would be that it's
short. It mercifully took me less than 20 hours to do everything the game had to offer.
Stocke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:52 pm

I've seen it for 5$ a few times so I think thats a bad sign.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:04 pm

So I think after I finish Tales of Destiny, I might actually hook up my 360 and finally play through Vesperia. Haven't even used my 360 in the longest time. But Vesperia has always looked great to me, and since I'm finally back in a JRPG mood, now is as good a time as any to start in on it. Not to mention that the prequel movie that's out on bluray actually looks pretty good (though I'm sure it's better to watch it after finishing the game first).
The battle system looks excellent too. Basically like Tales of the Abyss, which I loved. And it doesn't look too far removed from Xillia either, so it should tide me over nicely before that one comes along.
Still got a few hours left in Destiny, but I'm really looking forward to this one now.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:40 pm

So I was watching the story trailer again that OL posted on the first page and I think I have an idea of the "anime cliches" that are ridden in this series. So when the guy shoots the arrow and proceeds to say "how did he dodge that?" or whatever the whole little take kind of made me think "yeah... that is kind of a cliche in anime" lol. Some how im not bothered by it at all, I am a huge anime fan after all, for some reason I think I might even love it because of that, so I may not even mind the cliches anyway.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:01 am

I might have said this before, but theres only so many times a man can save two worlds from a cataclysm thats become a cycle, while a white mage thats cute and hides her pain behind eccentricity attempts to sacrifice herself, especially when it involves a journey of self discovery that leads the players to never really make major changes to their general way of being and often times consists of going to the wrong places or being told you can't get in because the party has no common sense.

and yet i finish all of these games like an asshole.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:14 am

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: I might have said this before, but theres only so many times a man can save two worlds from a cataclysm thats become a cycle, while a white mage thats cute and hides her pain behind eccentricity attempts to sacrifice herself, especially when it involves a journey of self discovery that leads the players to never really make major changes to their general way of being and often times consists of going to the wrong places or being told you can't get in because the party has no common sense.

If we had more developers and gamers like you the state of gaming be in better shape today creative and mechanics wise instead of seeing what Square has become and hearing comments like "games are 60% graphics" from Crytek. This may sound like the biggest sucking up because we are buds but in truth there is fewer guys in the field who just "get it"
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:41 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: I might have said this before, but theres only so many times a man can save two worlds from a cataclysm thats become a cycle, while a white mage thats cute and hides her pain behind eccentricity attempts to sacrifice herself, especially when it involves a journey of self discovery that leads the players to never really make major changes to their general way of being and often times consists of going to the wrong places or being told you can't get in because the party has no common sense.

Oh yeah, that was the scenerio in symphonia with the blonde haired girl, whatever her name is. For some reason those first few scenes in the class room always stay in my memory banks. Sometimes I kind of wish I hadnt gotten rid of my tales, wild arms, and arc the lad collections ;___;
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:03 pm

So the guy at GameStop told me that pre-orders have reached their max for Xillia CE if they had to stop taking pre-orders on the online website. May or may not be true. The other local game store I went to couldnt pre-order it for me either, but said to check back at the end of may/beginning of june. Fuck. The guy at the other local game store said it might end up being a gamestop exclusive, even though I thought I read an article saying participating retailers would have the CE, meaning more than one but maybe gamestop is handling this thing exclusively. If thats so, im fucked, the ebay prices for it are already ridiculous...
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Stocke » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:13 pm

^ That almost makes me kind of happy. Doesn't that mean the series is starting to get pretty popular? Perhaps one day we won't have to worry so much about if something is going to get localized.
Still, hope you can find a decent place to pre-order it AG.
Stocke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:14 pm

yea everyone is getting them but its really limited from what they're saying, it could be some areas are only getting shipments to Gamestop.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming