Tales Series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Tales Series

Postby OL » Sat May 04, 2013 3:33 pm

So I just beat Tales of Vesperia. I know I've said it before, the whole deal about "sure, cliches, but still fun, yaddah yaddah..."
But that opinion has been totally reinforced having beaten this one.
Actually, it's raised my opinion of the series even higher, because along with all the cliched fun, Vesperia actually manages to present things I didn't expect as well.
Dare I say it, the ending was actually inventive and legitimately compelling, conceptually. The cliche that often gets brought up about the series, the one involving the spunky young girl who happens to be the sacrificial "chosen one"... it's present here, but it pretty much becomes moot at a certain point.
Instead, the ending deals with something much more interesting and dire:
The idea of the entire world having to sacrifice all "blastia" (a sort of magical power source that happens to be used for damn near everything throughout the game) in order to avert the destruction of the world. It's kind of like if people in the real world had to suddenly give up electricity, coal power, gas power, and nuclear power all at once, and try to deal with the more difficult life afterward.

It's a really interesting concept, and the still pictures shown throughout the ending credits do an excellent job of portraying the events that happen afterward.
There are other things I could go on about too (such as Yuri being a really different kind of character for a Tales protagonist, or the fate of the main "villain" being a little different than you might expect), but I think it's easier to just say it was a great little experience, and it's just made me love the series even more than I did before.

Before this year, I'd only actually beaten two games in the series (Symphonia and Abyss), but I'd played enough of the rest of the series (about half of Phantasia, roughly 15 hours of Legendia) to legitimately qualify it as something I love. But now having beaten both Tales of Destiny and Tales of Vesperia in the same year, it really has elevated into one of my favorite series.
Trying to decide whether I should start in on Tales of Graces f, or if I should just try something else entirely at the moment (Ni No Kuni is still sitting there waiting for me).

Oh, and a question for Segata specifically (since I figure he might know, having played so much of the series and being generally knowledgeable about it):
Are any of the Tales games supposed to be related to eachother, like in a "Zelda timeline" kind of way?
I feel like I've heard that idea before, and it seemed plausible having finished this one now, and seeing how
the usual elemental spirits found in other Tales games have to be "created" in this one, rather than having been around forever, as they seem to have been in every other Tales game. Sort of an origin story, so to speak.

Just a thought. It'd really add something extra to the series as a whole if they were actually meant to be connected in some way.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sat May 04, 2013 7:35 pm

I think thats the concept of Vesperia, that its meant to be this look back into the world's past before Derris Kharlon reached the world (hence there are no true Elves) but I don't remember any clear links.

Symphonia is a prequel to Phantasia (and both games got spinoffs in Symphonia 2 and Narikiri Dungeon)

aside from that Destiny and Destiny 2 are connected.

I did think the same thing though when I saw what the spirits became.

I forgot who but one of the spirits transforms into Magnus and I freaked the fuck out, it was cool seeing Efreet, Sylph and Gnome as well

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: OL
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Bluecast » Sat May 04, 2013 7:37 pm

I saw a boxed copy of Tales on one of my import websites for Super famicom (along with Chrono Trigger and many other RPG's) for 20$. You can't read it blah blah. So one day I will and be cool to just have it.

A 16 bit version appeals to me the most anyway.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sun May 05, 2013 3:05 am

Phantasia wasn't hard to get a copy of back in the day, it was the first import I ever paid for with my own money.

I think if theres a game thats gunna rope you in odd are it'll be a 2d one.

BTW the Destiny remake on PS2 is INCREDIBLE! All of the music is higher quality, the sprites are huge and theres a ton of little details that make things really awesome.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received 2 thanks from: Bluecast, OL
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sun May 05, 2013 11:02 am

^^I watched a little video of the opening parts of the Destiny remake, and they certainly changed things enough to make it more dramatic (like Dymlos bonding with Stahn after he falls into the water, rather than pretty much just saying "hey, I'll be your sword!" like in the PS1 version). Looked excellent. Really wish that would have been localized.

So my PS3 just busted (probably a bluray drive malfunction), and I saw the yellow light a couple times. So I guess playing Tales of Graces is out of the question at the moment. <_<
Guess I'll have to dive into something older for the time being. Bummer, because I'm still really in a Tales mood.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri May 24, 2013 1:31 pm

Namco Bandai Running “Tales Of” Skit Design Contest

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/24/na ... n-contest/

Bluecast has received a thanks from: Yama
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Bluecast » Thu May 30, 2013 8:22 pm

Namco Bandai saw that we all went nuts for the Tales of Xillia Collector's Edition, so they're announcing a Limited Edition for North America. I hope that makes sense to you.

There's no Milla figure in this Limited Edition, but it does have a special case, a character profile booklet, a music CD, and two DLC costumes. It will be limited to all first-run copies, and will be priced at $59.99 when at release, set for August 6.

This Limited Edition is now available for pre-order at participating retailers. And no worries if you've already pre-ordered the game -- you'll be automatically upgraded to the Limited Edition.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri May 31, 2013 12:31 am

wtf. so it has everything except the statue? Never seen a game with a Collectors Edition and a Limited Edition, weird. Maybe they really dont want wizards edition all over again.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Fri May 31, 2013 12:55 am

Tales of Xillia is such a great game, from music to storyline and characters. I really would love to start playing it again after I finish Dragon Quest X on Wii U.. but I miss playing Phantasia on my Snes its in the attic somewhere I havent tried the PS version of Phantasia but really considering getting it.

*Kenshin Himura* has received a thanks from: OL
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Postby OL » Fri May 31, 2013 10:55 am

AnimeGamer183 wrote: wtf. so it has everything except the statue?

Not quite. This "limited edition" lists the book it comes with as a "character profile book," so it's probably just some 16-page pamphlet kind of thing like the preorder bonus with Xenoblade.
The collector's edition is supposed to come with the actual "art of Tales of Xillia" book, which is likely considerably longer. They just used the same cover to represent both of them in the promo pictures, so it is a bit confusing at first.
I just hope the DLC costumes come with the CE as well (since I already opted for that). I loves me some Cless and Stahn outfits.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri May 31, 2013 11:29 am

^They don't

Update: We’ve gotten clarification regarding the contents of the collector’s and limited edition of the game. From a Namco Bandai e-mail sent to Siliconera:

“The costumes, character profile booklet and music cd are exclusive to the Limited Edition, while the Milla Maxwell figure, art book and music selection CD are exclusive to the Collector’s Edition.”

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/30/ta ... d-for-u-s/

Which means I'm buying atleast 3 copies of the game.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:22 pm

CE for me, I really like that statue for some reason. and im sure as hell not spending $170 just to get everything from both sets, fuck that. Any word on a guide for this game?

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:07 pm

OL wrote:
AnimeGamer183 wrote: wtf. so it has everything except the statue?

I just hope the DLC costumes come with the CE as well (since I already opted for that). I loves me some Cless and Stahn outfits.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/06/07/ta ... tume-pack/

Your wish has been granted sir.

Bluecast has received 2 thanks from: OL, Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:25 pm

Awesome. Too bad the CDs are the same though. Seems like the more expensive edition ought to be a little bigger.
Bo oh well. The costumes are sweet anyway.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:46 pm

New trailer:

phpBB [video]

About 1000 times better than the last English one they put out, even if it is just cinematic.
And somehow I didn't put together the idea that Milla Maxwell = the spirit Maxwell from previous games until seeing this trailer. #-o
Don't know how I didn't think of that before, but it's an awesome idea.

OL has received a thanks from: Thief
OL
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming