Recent Gaming Purchases

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Recent Gaming Purchases

Postby Kintor » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:38 pm

"Sometimes, evil wins."

So yeah, recently I've been playing Tyranny on the PC which has just been released. If you've played other CRPGs like Baldur’s Gate or Neverwinter Nights you should already be familiar with the sort of gameplay mechanics in Tyranny. It's like Dungeons and Dragons converted into a video game. But the gameplay (even though it's highly polished) isn't why you want to play Tyranny - the unique thing about Tyranny is that the story is set after the forces of darkness have triumphed in the final war between good and evil.

You play a 'Fatebinder', kind of like a travelling judge/detective/enforcer whose jobs is to maintain order in the recently conquered lands of the Tiers. So, the central moral conflict of the story isn't between good and evil, because all the archetypal good characters are already long dead by this point. Rather, the real central conflict is between lawful evil and chaotic evil (in the D&D sense), as two of the evil empire's main armies (with vastly different ideologies and fighting styles) squabble over who gets to control the new territory.

This game is filled with hard choices and moral grey areas, where there isn't always a moral high ground to claim. Honestly though, I find Tyranny's take on evil refreshing. So many CRPGS take a half-assed approach to moral dilemmas, where you're either following the game's intended script or you're a randomly destructive moron, which is less an accurate depiction of evil and really just the acts of a character that can't control their impulses. Tyranny is smarter than that, showing that evil characters can still uphold the law (especially their own law) and generally protect the people in their domain, even as they accumulate ever greater amounts of personal power.

Kintor has received 2 thanks from: Raithos, Sonikku
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Sonikku » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:28 pm

This game seems interesting. Their story for Kotor 2 may have been the strongest in the entire mythos. My god, to let them pen the story of the sequel trilogy!! I'll have to check it out. Though I'm curious if it's possible to play a chaotic good type character.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Raithos » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:53 am

Picked up Pokemon (Praise the) Sun yesterday. Having a lot of fun with it. Its been ages since I actually played one.

Raithos has received a thanks from: Thief
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Thief » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:42 am

^ I picked it up too. I'm playing it in German to help me study, and it is a slog, but the game seems cool despite my language choice. I like how it feels so different from the ones that came before.

Thief has received a thanks from: Raithos
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:43 am

Apparently my laptop is set to arrive today, but now on the alienware france page they deleted the gtx 1080 option...

I don't know if I snatched it at the right time, or I should be worried.

Does anyone has an alienware ?

EDIT: their twitter says the new laptops with 1080 are out, so I guess it's not a problem and they are just updating their webpages.

I can't fucking wait for christmasssssssss.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Monkei » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:02 am

Thief wrote:I'm playing it in German to help me study, and it is a slog, but the game seems cool despite my language choice.

Heh, nice. My main reason for starting to play (and watch) everything in English was the better quality. German translations could be better most of the time, and dubbing in games was utter trash and usually unbearable in comparison to the original. Improving my English was a great side effect of that. It's a fun way to get more used to another language. So how are you getting along with your studies? Could we have a conversation in German? : D

Monkei has received a thanks from: Thief
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Thief » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:24 am

Wir können eine Unterhaltung in Deutsch haben aber mein Deutsch ist schwach, weil ich mehr studieren muss. :P

My studies are going well, but I find it very difficult to play Pokémon because there is so much vocabulary that I don't know. But it's a nice change of pace when it comes to studying the language (and gives me an excuse to play more video games) :)
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Monkei » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:08 am

Yeah, I can imagine that being pretty tough. Hope it doesn't ruin the fun too much! :lol: If I may suggest some improvements to that bit of German you wrote: You'd rather say "Wir können eine Unterhaltung/ein Gespräch auf Deutsch führen" than "in Deutsch haben", which sounds too, well, English. Plus you'd rather say something like "noch nicht so gut" or simply "schlecht" instead of "schwach". Nobody would have trouble understanding your version of course, it's close enough and perfectly fine for a non-native speaker. Hope that didn't come off too douchy. If you ever need help with something the internet doesn't offer, feel free to ask! Translation is fun.

Monkei has received a thanks from: Thief
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Jibby » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:55 pm

I recently bought Overwatch and despite really not liking FPS games, I absolutely love it. It's incredibly refreshing. Very colourful, loads of variety, great team co-operation, memorable characters - the list goes on. I can't stop playing it, honestly might be my game of the year. It's such a pleasant surprise.

And getting your first team kill is soooo satisfying.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Sonikku » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:26 am

I wanted to get it when it fell to $35 at Best Buy as my GCU pass would bring it down to $28. But alas, I'm flat broke after splurging on a tv.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Jibby » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:36 am

You should definitely get it when you can afford it; it's so much fun! (Plus, if you can put up with a controller, you'll have a nice new TV to play it on :P )
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Thief » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:59 am

Monkei wrote: Yeah, I can imagine that being pretty tough. Hope it doesn't ruin the fun too much! :lol: If I may suggest some improvements to that bit of German you wrote: You'd rather say "Wir können eine Unterhaltung/ein Gespräch auf Deutsch führen" than "in Deutsch haben", which sounds too, well, English. Plus you'd rather say something like "noch nicht so gut" or simply "schlecht" instead of "schwach". Nobody would have trouble understanding your version of course, it's close enough and perfectly fine for a non-native speaker. Hope that didn't come off too douchy. If you ever need help with something the internet doesn't offer, feel free to ask! Translation is fun.

Oh no, don't worry, doesn't sound too douchy at all. I really appreciate stuff like this, since I'm still learning and make mistakes all the time. Making mistakes is the best way to learn :) Thanks!
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Calshot » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:06 am

Monkei wrote: Yeah, I can imagine that being pretty tough. Hope it doesn't ruin the fun too much! :lol: If I may suggest some improvements to that bit of German you wrote: You'd rather say "Wir können eine Unterhaltung/ein Gespräch auf Deutsch führen" than "in Deutsch haben", which sounds too, well, English. Plus you'd rather say something like "noch nicht so gut" or simply "schlecht" instead of "schwach". Nobody would have trouble understanding your version of course, it's close enough and perfectly fine for a non-native speaker. Hope that didn't come off too douchy. If you ever need help with something the internet doesn't offer, feel free to ask! Translation is fun.

That offer extend to everyone? How's your medieval German?
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby shredingskin » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:24 am

Again bought the alienware, let's hope this time the card doesn't get rejected.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Monkei » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:15 pm

Calshot wrote:

That offer extend to everyone? How's your medieval German?

Haha, what you got? I might be able to kinda make out what's being said. :lol: If not we can always ask Kyodai I guess, he looks pretty old in his pic.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming