Recent Gaming Purchases

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Recent Gaming Purchases

Postby Bambi » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:58 pm

Bambi has received 2 thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*, Axm
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Axm » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:15 am

MG Rising ive always held off on cause I didnt consider it a real Metal Gear game, but whatever ill take it for $20.
And the Mass Effect games ive played through all on 360 cause I started it on that, but frick it $20 for all on PS3, with all the DLC of the first two? Sold.

Axm has received 2 thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*, Henry Spencer
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:22 am

@kenshin do you know the differences between the regular version and for the sequel version of Bravely Default?
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:26 am

I haven't opened it yet, but this will explain everything to you AG. Tomoya Asano the producer of the game explains the whole concept of both versions. Also, there is a sequel coming.

http://nintendoeverything.com/bravely-d ... ame-world/
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:30 pm

TwiceFriedRice wrote:I've got one. Good console with a solid library of games. It's too bad nobody knows about it.

BTW, WWHD is a great remake

It really is. The visuals are absolutely beautiful and this is coming from someone who was disappointed how the game looked at first (I'm a purist and it didn't look like they were capturing the look/feel of the original well enough). It's really held up well and is probably still my favourite Zelda. The game is so charming and rewards exploration.

Raithos wrote: I hope you were eventually able to redeem your code. I love my Wii U. Wind Waker is the best HD remake if you ask me. Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3 are awesome too. Love the slight upscale it does on Wii games as well. Not a true render, but it does in fact upscale them to 720p/1080p depending on your settings. And it is noticeable.

Well, at least there's two of you. Yeah, my redeem code worked and the eShop is finally back up. I'm planning on getting both Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 in the future.

I am in love with this console. It's so good. From the slick and beautiful UI across the board, the menu's music are relaxing rather than annoying and chirpy like the original Wii's was like. I can play Wind Waker in bed or another room with the tablet controller (which is amazing, btw). The fact that Wii U's online services actually have a presence, whereas Wii's did not really at all. The fact that you can play all of your games with one controller, as opposed to switching through my GC controller, the classic controller and Wiimote is just much better. No more games with forced motion controls, either. THANK GOD.

A big improvement on all fronts from the original Wii and the software library is quality over quantity, which I can appreciate being a Vita owner. Some people may scoff at that, but hey; It's the polar opposite to the original Wii with its shovelware. Just browsing through the games available on the Wii U eShop...there's plenty of games out for the system, it's just whether those games appeal to you, or not.

I also picked up some classy SNES games up like Brawl Brothers (a beat 'em up I've never heard of till now from Jaleco, which is sweet), Earthbound and ZombiU, which was on a sale.

There's plenty more still on the eShop for me to get next time too, especially from Capcom; Mega Man X 1 & 2, Super Castlevania, Final Fight 1, 2 & 3, Super Ghost & Goblins the list goes on and on. Just a fantastic selection of retro games and modern games on offer that really appeal to me.

Why do I always fall for the ones that sell so badly. :-({|=

Axm wrote:MG Rising ive always held off on cause I didnt consider it a real Metal Gear game, but whatever ill take it for $20.
And the Mass Effect games ive played through all on 360 cause I started it on that, but frick it $20 for all on PS3, with all the DLC of the first two? Sold.

MG Rising is one of my GOTY. I loved it. Seems like I'm the only one on here who does though, since everyone else who played it hated it. A new one with Grey Fox (as both pre-Cyborg Ninja [in Rhodesia] and post-Cyborg Ninja) would be fantastic. So would a Solidus Snake spin-off or a Liquid Snake spin-off (set in Afghanistan where he was captured). Heck, why not just have the "Rising" series be a MG series starring various popular Metal Gear characters. It would interest me far more than whatever MGS5 is.

Love the Mass Effect series. 3 sucked overall, but the multiplayer was magnifico.

Kenny wrote: Assassin's Creed. The first one.

Since there are like five or six of them now, I figure I might as well actually play the first one for a change even though I know it's super repetitive.

God man, you have no idea how hard I've tried to like that series and see what everyone else is talking about so much. I love history. I love video games. I should love this series, right? But man, it's so vapid and boring. The first game is such a chore to play through.

And the amount of games the series has accumulated in just one generation span (yes, yes, longest one ever, I know) is just really off putting to me. I wouldn't even know where to start. They all look like the same game to me, despite how different each setting is, just with a new number attached to the end of the title.

Henry Spencer has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Raithos
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Kenny » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:14 pm

You know, I have alot of opinions on that game as well but I think i'll put them all in the other thread.

In short, I liked it but holy SHIT did it have ALOT of problems. Especially towards the end. Though I am still interested in playing the rest since apparently the series got way better after the second one.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby OL » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:14 pm

Kenny wrote:...since apparently the series got way better after the second one.

That's the key thing to keep in mind.
I totally understand if the first game turns people off. Honestly, it is kind of slow-going and plodding. The rest of the games speed things up, add actual cinematography to the story scenes, inject a far greater amount of color to the visuals, and aren't quite as "gloom and doom," personality-wise. The first game may as well have been a beta, while the rest of the series is what it should have always been.
It's just a matter of actually getting past the first step.

OL has received 2 thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*, Kenny
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:36 pm

*Kenshin Himura* wrote: I haven't opened it yet, but this will explain everything to you AG. Tomoya Asano the producer of the game explains the whole concept of both versions. Also, there is a sequel coming.

And we are getting the updated version in the west, not sure if Iwould prefer the first version to the second or not... either I have the CE pre-ordered over here, it comes out in feb.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bambi » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:10 pm

OL wrote:

I totally understand if the first game turns people off. Honestly, it is kind of slow-going and plodding. The rest of the games speed things up, add actual cinematography to the story scenes, inject a far greater amount of color to the visuals, and aren't quite as "gloom and doom," personality-wise. The first game may as well have been a beta, while the rest of the series is what it should have always been.

I'm considering starting off with AC3, if I understand the concept correctly this wouldn't really be a problem would it?
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby Axm » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:07 am

Bambi wrote:
OL wrote:

I'm considering starting off with AC3, if I understand the concept correctly this wouldn't really be a problem would it?

Id honestly reccomend 2 then 3. Even though I liked the setting of 3 more. But 2 has great history and story that you'll really appriciate.
Either way though, just get around to 2 eventually.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:10 am

AnimeGamer183 wrote:
*Kenshin Himura* wrote: I haven't opened it yet, but this will explain everything to you AG. Tomoya Asano the producer of the game explains the whole concept of both versions. Also, there is a sequel coming.

And we are getting the updated version in the west, not sure if Iwould prefer the first version to the second or not... either I have the CE pre-ordered over here, it comes out in feb.

Nice, let me know how everything turns out with the updated version. February isn't too far away.
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:09 pm

*Kenshin Himura* has received a thanks from: Axm
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby OL » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:15 pm

Grabbed these at the store:
ImageImage
And got these on gog.com:
ImageImage

The Thief series is absolutely classic for me, so even though they're just downloads, I don't mind shelling out the 2 bucks for each one. Never got to finish Thief 2 anyway, so this is a good opportunity. These games still play just as well as they ever did.
DOA5 was one I'd been meaning to get for a while. Every time I looked at it, I kept getting nostalgia over all the time I spent with DOA2. Fun game so far.
Tai Fu was one I had rented and finished years upon years ago, and always meant to buy it at some point. Fun little beat-em-up/platformer. Felt great getting back in the saddle with it.
The biggest surprise out of all of these was Epidemic. Japanese-made FPS that's oddly pretty atmospheric and interesting. I imagine it'd seem repetitive after a while, but it sucked me right in as I started to play. Really interested in eventually grabbing its predecessor, Kileak: The DNA Imperative, and its spiritual successor, Brahma Force: Assault on Beltlogger 9, at some point in the future. Seems like a really cool little series. Kind of bleak and grown-up, it seems. Me likey.

OL has received 2 thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*, Bambi
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:45 pm

^ I've been meaning to get DOA5 as well, I want to see how the Virtua Fighter characters mesh inside the game..
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:07 pm

Final Fantasy X + X2 HD for PS3.

Bought from the Pirate Bay.

USA version preordered and paid off at FailStop.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming