Batman Arkham Origins

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Batman Arkham Origins

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:58 am

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... d-xbox-360

By Wesley Yin-Poole Published Tuesday, 9 April 2013

Warner Bros. has announced Batman Arkham Origins for the PC, PlayStation 3, Wii U and Xbox 360. Next-generation consoles were not mentioned.

Origins is the next game in the Arkham series, and follows the release of Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, according to a report by GameFocus.

Those games were developed by Rocksteady. Arkham Origins is made by WB Games Montreal. Origins is set several years before the previous Arkham games, and sees the player assume the role of a younger Batman who meets many of the series' iconic characters for the first time.

Also in development is a Nintendo 3DS and PlayStation Vita spin-off called Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate. Both Arkham Origins and Blackgate will launch on 25th October 2013.

That's all we've got for now.

It looks like Warner is employing a two-studio strategy for the main Batman series, alternating development duties between WB Montreal and Rocksteady. With that in mind, perhaps we'll see Rockseady's new game towards the end of 2014.

Who Really Cares? has received 2 thanks from: Bambi, MiTT3NZ
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Re: Batman Arkham Origins

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:10 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuUi-CFrdvA[/youtube]
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Bambi » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:17 am

It was definitely fun playing as Bats during his peak but I think it will be infinitely more challenging assuming the role of a rookie, if handled properly this has the potential to be the best Arkham game yet.
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:20 am

And hopefully... Robin I!
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:24 am

Deathstroke =D>

Who Really Cares? has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, OL
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:30 am

Sonic, Shenmue, Splinter Cell... first time my favourite game series doesn't begin with the letter S. I'm hoping the reports are true, I'd fucking love a Batman game every year.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:05 pm

Deathstroke!
That's freakin' cool. Several years back I started reading through Deathstroke's old series from the 80s. Good stuff, so I'm definitely a fan of the character. Be great to see him represented properly in a game.

OL has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:23 pm

Origins takes place on Christmas Eve early in Batman's career, before the events of Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. The tale is inspired by Batman: Year One and Legends of the Dark Knight.

Supervillain Black Mask places a hit on Batman's head, offering a fortune to whoever can off the caped crusader. Assassins and supervillains from across the DC Universe come to Gotham to take their shot at Batman.

Batman must take on all comers, solve the mystery of why Black Mask wants him dead, and prove to the GCPD that he's on their side.

Warner Bros. Montreal used Batman Arkham City Armored Edition for the Wii U to familiarise itself with Rocksteady's codebase.

Eric Holmes, who served as lead designer of The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction and has experience writing Transformers: Megatron Origins for IDW, was selected to drive the creative vision. He also worked at Epic Games, and so is familiar with the Unreal Engine.

Rocksteady offered guidance on tech, mechanics and engine, but WB Montreal was left to handle story entirely
Going with a younger Batman lets the developer "refresh characters, refresh ideas, refresh the dynamic between Batman and other characters, and refresh the world"

Batman isn't the character fans know yet

GameInformer's demo starts about an hour into the game, with Batman perched on Jezebel Plaza watch an arms deal.
Gotham is blanketed by snow and Christmas lights decorate the city. It's Christmas eve.
Black Mask's assassins have stirred up criminal activity

"Old Gotham" hasn't been turned into an urban prison yet

The most obvious difference cited between the two period is Amusement Mile, which hasn't flooded yet
Batman is trying to figure out why Black Mask wants him dead, and is aiming to use Penguin to get information
WB Montreal hasn't tinkered with the free-flow combat: "If it's not broken, don't fix it" says senior producer Ben Mattes.

It has, however, introduced "new layers, new opportunities, and new tactics"
New enemy types will force Batman to use new moves

Batman hasn't honed his skills yet, so his interrogation ends with an unconscious thug. Batman is still unrefined and sometimes pushes things too far.

Batman scans the thugs phone to get the information he needs

He summons Batwing to get to the northeast coast, where Penguin's base of operations is. Players don't pilot Batwing directly, but it is part of the story sequences and a form of fast travel.
Glides, ledge takedowns and sleeper holds are back

Inside Final Offer, an old ship The Penguin has taken over, Batman uses his predator mode.

Batman can swing from perches and do upside down strikes, like in previous games.

A new gadget, the Remote Claw, functions much like the grappler in Just Cause 2. Batman can target two objects and pull them together. It can be used to knock enemies together, launch objects at enemies or string up enemies.

An example combat situation involves stringing an explosive barrel to a perch, luring enemies over, then cutting the rope using a batarang.

Batman eventually find Penguin talking to a tied up Alberto Falcone, trying to convince him to leave the weapons business, he agrees to tell his father.

Batman enters and fights Penguin, before interrogating him by lifting him up and smashing into a mirror. Before he can get the information out of him a grapple claw latches onto his ankle and pulls him out of the room. Batman's tries to get a hold of a door frame, but his arm is stomped on. The mysterious assailant is revealed to be Deathstroke.

WB Montreal wants to tell a story "within the detective environment", it mentioned BBC series Sherlock as an inspiration

In a later segment Batman is in a room and uses his first-person detective vision to figure out the events that occurred in it. Bullet paths and holograms act out his theories as he mutters information and scans points of interest.
The Batcomputer in the cave runs simulations, players can watch these as much as they want from multiple angles, in slow motion, pause and scrub it. They must find clues to further the investigation

Small and large cases are spread out over Gotham City, they serve to provide a break from combat scenarios
Old Gotham district is only half of the game world, another area called New Gotham also exists. It doubles the size of the game world in Arkham City.

To access content in the city players must dismantle the hacked tower network. These tower emit a jamming signal that stops Batwing from flying there and prevents sensors from placing points of interest. They're likened to Far Cry 3's towers.

Dynamic events dubbed "Crime in Progress" occur in the city. The example given is of saving cops from a group of thugs, or stopped a snitch from being thrown off a roof. Completing these impact Batman's notoriety.
A "Most Wanted System" lets players pursue villains outside of the core assassin story

The Dark Knight system offers tasks that escalate in difficulty. They're not tutorials, but do train players to be better at combat and stealth. Completing challenges grants XP or upgrades for a particular skillset.
The system doesn't replace Challenge mode, which will be included "in one form"

Who Really Cares? has received 3 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, Nankeiro, OL
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:32 pm

Sounds promising.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:01 pm

I was skeptical at first, but I like what I hear..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:52 pm

I love what I'm hearing. I'm glad they didn't feel the need to make the Joker the main villain although it sounds like he could pop up. I know Batman has lots of villains but I thought he would be the main guy again since his so popular and other then villains who have been in the movies most people don't know many of Batman's enemies.

This is a series like Assassins Creed where they really could make a new one each year since Batman has more then a few stories to tell.

Status: Excited but will wait for more before my panties get truly wet.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:05 am

Yeah soon as the rumors started that it was set before the last 2 games all i could think was they did that to bring the Joker back so happy to see others appear to be getting a bigger role in this.

First pics

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/vi ... &id=299817

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:06 am

Who Really Cares? wrote: Yeah soon as the rumors started that it was set before the last 2 games all i could think was they did that to bring the Joker back so happy to see others appear to be getting a bigger role in this.

Black Mask especially, I was disappointed how he was teased for Arkham City where in reality he was basically a small cameo..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:17 am

Which i missed first time around. Only found him thanks to youtube.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:07 am

Love that it's based on Christmas Eve. The snow+christmas lights are giving things a really great look.

OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Next

Return to General Gaming