Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:57 am

The PS4 is the fastest selling console in the UK. Despite coming out a year ago the Wii U is 3rd in the ''next gen'' already.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Kenny » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:16 am

That's what happens when you release alot of shit for the previous console.

Kenny has received a thanks from: Axm
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby QWERTY » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:49 am

Jokatech19 wrote: Hilarious! I just opened a computer console at the end of a stage in Deus Ex, and the NPC received one of those Nigerian emails asking to transfer money to your account. I remember those. I got a couple years back, and I can't believe some people actually fell for it. That was unexpected, but funny.

Read through some of these: http://www.419eater.com/
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:18 am

Kenny wrote: That's what happens when you release alot of shit for the previous console.

To add Knack outsold Mario :lol:

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:09 pm

Crimson Ryan has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Who Really Cares?
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:15 pm

^They should add Zelda to that list. And maybe if they made games other than Mario, people would feel differently about it. The name is also a big problem, so is the shitty marketing. Also, it seems like Nintendo have totally prioritised the 3DS over it too.

I'm still getting one for Christmas, 'cos it's the cheapest of the three and I liked the Wii, sorta.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Crimson Ryan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:22 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:I'm still getting one for Christmas, 'cos it's the cheapest of the three and I liked the Wii, sorta.

Don't try to hide it! I'm actually wondering why you'd want a Wii-U, Henry? Given your tastes in games I don't really know what's piqued your interest in one. My brother wanted a Wii a couple of years ago. There were some games I'd be interested in playing on it but eventually they all came to PS3..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:42 pm

Sony aren't doing it for me currently with the PS4, the games announced for it so far have been a bore. PS3's upcoming games means I shall stay happy with PS3 for a long while yet.
I'm actually much more interested in Microsoft's current line up for Xbox One, way more Japanese games coming for that system, it's sort of reminding me more of the original Xbox, for that reason; plenty of Japanese support and the Western studios work like Ryse and Killer Instinct is also great to see.

Why Wii U you ask? Well, since Nintendo have now tried to appeal to their original audience again for Wii U, by doing away with mandatory motion controls (which I was never a big fan of in games outside of the ones I played with my brother). The upgrade in motion controls a nice bonus and the party games on offer for it (typical Wii Sports etc fare) will be fun to play with him. For myself though, I like the tablet controller they have made for the Wii U; it's going to be great for adventure games, strategy games and RPG games when you need to quickly look at the map and you don't need to pause the game to do that.

The actual games available for Wii U do appeal to me. I mean, there isn't a lot on offer (if anything, it's a fucking travesty how little Nintendo have done in the extra time they have had) but what is there interests me greatly. I'll bullet points the games that I really want to play:

-It appeals to me in an old school fashion with games like Wind Waker HD since it's my favourite Zelda next to Ocarina of Time and it's been a long time since I last played it.

-I'm also guaranteed a Zelda without motion controls for the Wii U. Finally. I found Twilight Princess incredibly difficult to control and didn't touch Skyward Sword for that very reason. I'm also guaranteed plenty of Mario games, since that seems to be all that Nintendo like to make nowadays. Not played a console Mario in decades.

-Platinum Games support for the system is another big factor for me, I love their games since it's classic Capcom that I am greatly missing in my life nowadays since the actual Capcom have gone to shit. Wonderful 101 is very much made to be a nostalgic game, reminding me of those Saturday morning cartoons infused with classic beat 'em up action goodness.

-Then there's Monolith Soft's next RPG, X and even though I didn't love Xenoblade as most people on the internet, I did really like it and X looks to be a big improvement over Xenoblade.

-That Atlus & Intelligent Systems crossover, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem is a curiousity. And really, I'm obsessed with Atlus games and want to play every game that they release. Just seeing all of the mainline SMT characters (such as seeing Demi-Fiend from 3...in HD) in one game is enough to get me excited. I'll be especially excited if it's mainline SMT gameplay meets Fire Emblem SRPG gameplay.

-Fingers crossed for a game from Treasure for Wii U.

It just seems apparent that they rushed it out to get out to next gen first, to beat the competition but it has actually ended up making them look weaker and crushed most of their third party support. They're in the same catch 22 as Sony are with Vita; third party publishers/developers are waiting for the systems to sell better before committing to them and in return, Nintendo and Sony are not willing to pay for any exclusivity since they feel that their name brand should be justification enough. It's just class A arrogance on their part.

Phew that was a large post. #-o

TL;DR version: PS4 bores me, Xbox One is the one that excites me the most but is too expensive for me at the moment, Wii U has only a few select games, but what little that they have, interests me greatly; quality over quantity - as with the case of the PS Vita.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Raithos
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Sonikku » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:33 pm

Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:50 am

idk if anyone else has been playing Link Between Worlds, but I played about an hour or 2 of it last night, and wow am I happy about the zelda series all of a sudden. I am completely loving this game so far, if you ever played any of the original Zelda from the NES and SNES, this game is worth a look for sure. They re-created the LInk to the Past Hyrule magnificently in 3D, its feels like a more modern version of that world, but also its game play. Gold. Pure fucking gold. My interest in Zelda officially revived.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:04 am

Finally got Assassin's Creed IV for my Xbox One. You have to install the game before you can play it which is fair enough but after an hour it hadn't installed even 1%. After some googling it turns out that if you're connected to the internet the system tries to download it from the internet rather then the disc. So the fastest way to do it is go into the settings and disconnect the system from your router and then connect it again after the game has installed.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Axm » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:56 pm

So been playing DR3 now. Wonderfully fun game. Really like it alot, but I have major gripes with it.
Firstly is exibit A of a video I made of me playing here within the first 30 minutes of gameplay.

phpBB [video]

To me thats just a broken game, plain and simple. I havent told this forum before, but I once did some temping for Sony QA. During that time I found many bugs ofcourse in several games. With DR3 though, it seems like I run into bugs big and small just through random gameplay without looking for them at all. The game is a strait up Beta build launched on time for release with the XBO.
Also stuff like loosing mission progress and kill count when returning to the game. Game breaking stuff. Not to mention, this game and others like Forza and Killer Instinct where the XBO trys to make friend invites way too automagical by giving us hardly any controls over when, where and how to invite people.
Leave the party, exit the game, rejoin game and rejoin party, check notifcations and make sure you select the right one or remove old ones or the game/system wont recognize you need to be added automatically.
I spent nearly half an hour just trying to reconnect with someone in his or my game.

Honestly after spending alot of time with XBL now. Theirs so many things they have done great, but many things are just strait up broken and need to be fixed. The XBO is trying to do way too much all at once with the user and trys to make everything automatic and seemless, which is great when it works and a big wtf when it doesnt.
Obviously theirs alot of time to fix these things but I think its still disrespectful as a consumer to deal with things like this, XBO and PS4 alike.
And with all these recording features both of the system have given us it doesnt make them look any better when the cards arent turned in their favor.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby Yama » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:30 pm

That was an online glitch, nothing more. The xbox live party system has nothing to do with the game invite system either, which to be fair, is perfectly normal. For a game this big, it's actually quite polished and the day one patch cleansed any frame rate issues. I near 1K'd the game and haven't had any issues. In fact, the game has been an overall smooth experience. Experiencing an online glitch doesn't mean a title is in beta still, it happens. To be fair, the invite system is also simplistic and without error. Not sure why joining a party and hitting the start button 'invite party to game' took you a half hour, but it's taken me three seconds the twenty or so times I've played with my friends. I'd save judgement until you've put some more time in. It's a solid 8-9 title and one of the best in the series.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:32 pm

Also yet to have any issues.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:59 pm

Yama wrote:That was an online glitch, nothing more. The xbox live party system has nothing to do with the game invite system either, which to be fair, is perfectly normal. For a game this big, it's actually quite polished and the day one patch cleansed any frame rate issues. I near 1K'd the game and haven't had any issues. In fact, the game has been an overall smooth experience. Experiencing an online glitch doesn't mean a title is in beta still, it happens. To be fair, the invite system is also simplistic and without error. Not sure why joining a party and hitting the start button 'invite party to game' took you a half hour, but it's taken me three seconds the twenty or so times I've played with my friends. I'd save judgement until you've put some more time in. It's a solid 8-9 title and one of the best in the series.

If its only an online glitch then would you not consider that a problem? Besides that experience like ive said, ive had many more bugs and glitches, clipping, lost progress ie. Kills, pick ups etc. Sound bugs. Ive seen enough to know the game isnt polished the way it should be.
And game invites.. you know this has been an issue console wide. Forza 5 and Killer Insinct we've played together. We have repeatedly had issues with it. We have yet to play DR3 together so whatever simple thing im failing to see, please show me later cause no lie, I spent alot of time with "invite party to game" and it worked probably 2 out of 5 times for me, even after reseting the console and clearing any notifications.
Again, im not judging the game as though its not good, its great. But problems like this atleast in my standards, which ive always considered low in comparrison to you, shouldnt be accepted and need to be fixed. And I know im not alone in this as ive had many people agree with me in regards to the invite system. The Xbox trys to do everything for you automatically and when it fails its really frustrating. Especially when the 360 never had many problems with this at all.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming