Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:17 pm

Not sure how many SaGa fans there are around here but this is this game coming out for 3DS called Legend of Legacy that is supposed to a spiritual successor and the team consists of old SaGa/FInal Fantasy/Chrono/Square developers from back in the day. Apparently there are 7 different characters you can start the game with, and view of their stories/perspectives and go down each of their respective paths, essentially meaning you could play the game 7 different times to see everything. I'll drop a trailer below, it does look interesting it comes out October 13th and the pre-order edition comes with a soundtrack, hard cover art book, and special packaging.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

and a couple import reviews

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/legendlega ... trev1.html

http://otakuoverdrive.com/2015/02/11/ga ... egacy-3ds/

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: Raithos
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby redline » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:59 pm

sucks that halo 3/4 didnt get remastered like halo 1/2 on the xbox one. because they look shit.
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:42 pm

I always thought the name "Big Boss" in the MGS series was pretty goofy, especially since it's presented as an official title in the US military at the end of MGS3. It's funny because the name is really just totally old school NES. "His name is Big Boss, because he is your Boss, and also the final Boss!"
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: PuzzleQuest II

Postby Monkei » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:50 am

^ True :lol: It's totally goofy of course, like a lot of other names/characters/events in the series, but it works within the context of the games. It's just a unique universe where those things are perfectly normal.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shredingskin » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:52 am

You know that games are a product when even suda51 starts streamlining his games.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby OL » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:10 am

^^Suda's games have never been particularly complex, so I'm not sure what you mean by "streamlining."
If you mean that his games are just becoming more commercial, that's been the case ever since No More Heroes. If anything, his commercial games are generally more complex, while his more "artistic" ones (Killer 7, Flower, Sun, and Rain) are easily the more "streamlined."
So, y'know, Suda51 might not be the best example when talking about the streamlined commerciality of gaming as a whole.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby shredingskin » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:22 am

By streamlined I mean in design concept. fsr and killer 7 had really different approach to the game design, even if it was all the game the same.

His latests games are just beat them ups, there's nothing new more than cellshading.

EDIT. also put the example of suda because he's the poster child of trying to be "avant garde" (now it's going to be sweary).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:25 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Skies-of-Arcadi ... 25add6c868

FUCK ME!!!! :cry:

This is an epic bundle of NTSC Dreamcast RPGs, the absolute 3 essential RPGs on the platform, and looking like in good condition. I already own all 3, but consider my pants soiled as these seem to be in very good condition, and better condition than mine that i have had for the past 10+ years.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:52 pm

Too bad he's selling them at 40$-50$ more than you can get them for by buying them individulally. I thought the whole point of bundles was to be able to get things cheaper...
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:22 pm

Shenmue is like $50, Skies is like 50-70, and gandia 2 is like 35-50. But that particular bundle is sexy either way, seems I let too many people borrow some of my DC games when i was in high school, I know my skies and grandia 2 cases and I think even my skies discs have seen better days. Not like me, i usually have pretty pristine copies of my games.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:20 pm

I rather wish Sony would cut the price of the PS3. At $249.99 it's a mere Benjamin less than the PS4. On Black Friday the latter of which could even go for $299 at some places, a mere $50 difference. The PS2 was $99 at this stage in it's life. Considering how cheap third party Harddrives go for on Amazon these days there's no excuse for it to be going for more than $150 tops. It sucks because I've never been exposed to all the games on the system that never came out for the 360, but are otherwise unwilling to pay so much for such ancient hardware this late in the game.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:35 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: So my PS4 has been shipped off to Sony for repairs (dont worry, its in warranty), its had a problem ever since I have had it with changing resolution and I think some kind of HDMI issue on my 720p TV. It played games fine so I wasnt all that worried about it, but if I did things like watch a video in another resolution or a DVD or try to switch from my HDMI 3 to HDMI 1 or 2 then back to HDMI 3 it was like there was no signal going into my TV it would just sit on the HDMI 3 screen with sound or picture but the console was still on, even if I did so much as not have my TV turned on when I turned on my PS4 I wouldnt get a signal. Really weird, but I hope Sony can fix the problem and have my PS4 back in time for Tales of Zestiria (they have plenty of time, thats weeks away).

Got my PS4 back today, apparently Sony formatted my PS4 hard drive, luckily the only thing i really lost was my type-0 save file and im not heartbroken about it. I hook up my PS4 to try to see if the problem is fixed and it cant even make it past the 3.0 firmware update with out the screen going blank, so I shut it down and restart it, it starts up fine, I put in a DVD, and the screen and audio goes blank once again. So, i finally got the wise idea to hook it up to my PC monitor via HDMI that goes full HD unlike my 720p TV, it played the DVD fine. So it looks like it was my TV that was the problem all along and in all likely hood there was never anything wrong with my PS4 to begin with. I can still play games fine on it, which I guess will be its only function until I get a new TV... what a waste. ](*,)
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:40 pm

phpBB [video]

I don't think we got these ads in the UK. Wish more games would advertise like this again, it's hilarious..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby shredingskin » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:54 am

Did anyone here play the devil on g string ? (G Senjō no Maō)

Is it that good as people say it is ?
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:46 am

This probably makes me a total whore, but whatever, fuck it: I'm excited as hell for Assassin's Creed Syndicate.
I went back the other day to try and finish Unity. It's the only game in the series that I just got kind of bored with and didn't bother finishing. It had problems, without a doubt; the story and characters were dull (can only barely remember what it was about and who I was killing), the mission structure wasn't terribly interesting in most cases (although I did have some serious fun on a couple when I went back in yesterday), the parkour didn't work nearly as well as it ought to have, the revamped combat system felt clunky and far less fun than it always was in previous games, and the side-activities were a bit boring and, in many cases, just kind of silly (why were there murder investigations when the character I'm playing as is, himself, a murderer by definition?). Oh, and I still can't get over how godawful a missed opportunity it was, giving everyone such blatant British accents when the game is based in France. Made no sense, and lost a ton of potential for having a different kind of vibe and charm from the others.
So yeah, it was a bit of a weak game. Should have been worthwhile, and it's a shame that the setting kind of went to waste, but there was just something a bit "blah" about it all. The thing is, I could never really take that as an indication that the series was losing steam though, because Assassin's Creed Rogue, released the very same day, is now one of my favorite experiences with the series (seriously, it's probably the most refined, focused title out of the whole lot).

So anyway, because I felt a little bit burnt by the new gameplay systems and all that from Unity, I haven't actually followed the development of Syndicate very closely. Having gone back to Unity and finished it today though, I'm finding myself pretty hyped for the new one. It looks like they improved upon the combat significantly, the story, setting, and characters actually look a lot more fun this time around (if a little cheesy; Jacob seems like a bit of a dolt, but I'm excited to play as Evie), the interface is revamped a little making stealth seem a bit more intuitive, the rope launcher looks amazing (mothafucking Tenchu-style grappling hook son!), the introduction of action taking place on moving platforms like carriages and a train is a nice step, and the soundtrack seems ridiculously excellent (but then I'm a bit of a nut for violin-centric music anyway; it's almost Rule of Rose-esque in this case).
And hurrah, it actually makes sense for everyone to have Brit accents this time around!
Plus, since they've gotten past the growing pains of working with a new graphics engine, it seems like the game will run a helluva lot smoother than Unity ever did (which was the primary complaint everyone had when that first came out). There are a ton of youtube channels that seem to have gotten early access to Syndicate, and the videos showcase a game that looks to be primarily free of the hiccups that killed Unity for a lot of people. They seem to be running on PS4's, so I'm optimistic that there won't be all too many glitches or framerate issues with this one. That shit has been ironed out.

So yeah, it might make me a total corporate whore, but I'm totally getting this game day-1. I'm still a sucker for the series, despite the occasional missteps.

OL has received a thanks from: Raithos
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming