Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby Sonikku » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:57 am

Two liters of soda? :shock: and red bull and coffee? Good god man, get some sleep! The gaming world will survive while you rest.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Axm » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:47 pm

The Witcher 3 is not ment to be consumed in such a fashion. I can barely get through an hour without feeling overwhelmed.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Monkei » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:48 am

Peter wrote:I feel tired, fucked up, drained. Are they supposed to be addictive?

Well, yeah. Every game is supposed to be addictive. Upgrades, unlockables, quest markers, rewarding sounds. Open worlds of course are a genre you can easily lose yourself in. I played The Phantom Pain for hours everytime I played it and had about 120 hours of playtime after 1,5 months. There's always so much to do, always something going on. There's never really a good point to call it a day until the game is finished.

Maybe you should try to consume it like an ongoing tv series. Just accept the fact that there will always be something more to do and quit the game to continue the journey at a later time. Don't obsess over it too much..
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kenny » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:01 pm

I don't know if games like that are necessarily supposed to be addictive. They can encourage addict behavior but that's where you have to sit down and prioritize your time.

I know I spent a whole day on PP a couple of weekends ago. Last time I played it, I put in about an hour and did something else. But yeah, if you get to the point where you're doing all day binges, I'd take it easy for a bit.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:21 pm

I say let the all day binges commence, beat that fucking game Peter! :twisted:

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: Raithos
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby shredingskin » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:52 pm

Sadly in game design some of the topics are meant to cause addiction.

Social games are pretty much that, there's even a topic on how to create a "routine" of playing your games, and always letting you wanting more.

But let's call it what it is, Pokemon has a lot of those things, but people just love it, even if they have 400 hours to get some sprites and some stats.

I'm really tired of that (maybe because I was raised with 10 hour adventure games), but not many people today want to spend 50 hours to see a story that it's mostly grinding or fetchquests (I think I've wrote this over 100 times).

The witcher does the same fetchquests interestingly disguised enough. But if people keep going crazy for pokemon that are just a different sprite... then I don't know.

And I don't know the target audience either.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Raithos » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:19 pm

I see nothing wrong with binge gaming once in awhile. If what you're playing draws you into it that much then go for it. The games that do so are few and far between so I say get get lost in them. I took PTO the day after Witcher 3 came out because I stayed up playing it and before I knew it my alarm went off lol. Went and got breakfast then made some coffee, smoked some, and kept right on playing.

Raithos has received a thanks from: St. Elmo's Fire
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:29 pm

^yeah, same here. It's rare that I get so drawn in by a game now, that I'm more inclined to go with the binge and just OD on it!
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:22 pm

Took just over two hours this morning, but I S-Ranked GZ (albeit on Normal...) Was attempting to max out the score as much as possible, but ran into a few hitches. Main one bein that the isolated prisoner must've been executed while I was off somewhere else failing to headshot someone at point blank range. Oh well. Anyway, I streamed all the failed attempts on Twitch. Must've been an enthralling watch...

phpBB [video]
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:29 pm

Back in my early teenage years I could easily sit down and play a game all day and do nothing else. Now I struggle to do it and if I have a whole day to myself I'll normally play for a couple of hours, do something else for a bit and then come back to it.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Raithos » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:17 pm

phpBB [video]

Yoko at 1:06 lol
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shredingskin » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:31 pm

The problem is when games are meant to be addictive.

Not all people fall for it, but it's still psychological manipulation. For example limiting player's time on f2p games and giving them extra "points, to make a pavlovian response for people to make it play daily. Putting saves in places where you know the player will keep going.

But simply put, pokemon is just that, trying to grab us by our completionist side. The first games where pretty much that, you can't actually die (and twitch proved that it's pretty much about doing random inputs).

I do understand that people may get some fun with it, but it's a very "low tier" of fun, doing the same, to get some little reward sticker or some shit (pokemons). It's a waste of time IMO, and I don't want to get back to that.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Thief » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:25 pm

I don't think that's a fair assessment of Pokémon. The game is largely one of exploration and discovery. You go out into this world, find new locals, and encounter exciting creatures and try to tame them for battle. It's really pretty fun. I don't think it's a "low tier" of fun because it isn't very challenging -- tons of games aren't challenging and they're still a worthwhile experience. Pokémon was created with the intent of replicating the joy behind catching beetles/bugs as a kid and I'd say it pretty much succeeds.

You don't need to "catch 'em all" and hardly anyone I know even tries. Many just enjoy raising monsters or exploring a world. Why is that a lesser form of entertainment than any other? Are they not playing videogames right? Should they be playing some other "acceptable" game instead? Seems really ridiculous to me.

Also, plenty of games don't harshly punish death, and twitchplayspokemon wasn't using random inputs -- they were deliberate inputs made from a large pool of people. Many games could have been completed in the same manner.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:10 am

Kinda it's.

Call it grind for sprites (your description enters here).

It's a lesser form of entertainment because it's always the same ("look these stats", "this sprite is cool", "it evolved to another sprite that has water stats"), yeah, it's all the same bullshit.

It's a big bang for your buck.
But really, watch 4 good movies, in that time you grew your 90lvl to a 95, maybe you evolved your banana sticker to a full canelope, or even a legendary stake !!!!

phpBB [video]
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Thief » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:21 am

:roll:

I'll watch movies when I want and I'll play games when I want and then I'll die. I don't care about your pretensions.

It's not all the same shit if through exploration you find new things -- almost every adventure game follows this routine. From Skyrim to Zelda. Is it all pointless?

Anyway, I don't feel as if you've made a good case for why it's a lesser form of entertainment. All you've accomplished is to say that something else could be done instead (obviously) and then went on to misrepresent my view of the game (by quoting evolutions and level grinding).
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming