Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby OL » Thu May 15, 2014 11:02 am

Thief wrote: Image

:lol:
Somehow I missed that post before.

Anyway, just got shipping confirmation for my Drakengard 3 LE, so it seems like Digital Rivers haven't effed things up this time. I think.
Also downloaded some of the preorder bonuses. The Japanese voice pack is frickin' 10 gigs in size. And the extra costumes are all around 20 megs. Crazy shit. You'd think they'd be able to compress the files a little better than that.

OL has received a thanks from: Raithos
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Thu May 15, 2014 12:48 pm

Dito, got my shipping info yesterday. That 10 gig VO DLC means we have some MGS4 cut scenes ahead of us! Or they aren't compressed at all like you said
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby OL » Thu May 15, 2014 1:07 pm

Only slightly disappointed in myself; I had intended to have finished Drakengard 1 and 2 by now, so I wouldn't be going into this one blind, but I haven't done that yet. Hit kind of a wall recently, where I have a bunch of other stuff to work on, so I haven't been playing games much at all. Might still go ahead with Drakengard 3 though; I can always hit the first two games later.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Thu May 15, 2014 2:31 pm

You can beat the first one in about a day. It's less than 10 hours long if I remember correctly. I know you know the new one is a prequel so it won't matter that much, but beating the first game will make you appreciate the new one more. Seeing how far they have (hopefully) evolved. I had planned to finish pt 2, its been sitting beside my PS2 since I ordered 3 but never got around to it because of work and other things.

Raithos has received a thanks from: OL
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby OL » Thu May 15, 2014 4:41 pm

I actually played a few levels into the first one a couple years back, but at the time, the repetitive nature of the gameplay started to get to me a bit. Not that it was bad, I just hit a mood for something else, so I stopped. I'll cozy up with it again someday.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu May 15, 2014 9:06 pm

This almost had me stumped as a poll question on an RPG website: Which battle system is better Grandia II or Valkyria Chronicles? They are having a best battle system poll bracket tournament apparently. I ultimately had to go with Grandia II.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Thu May 15, 2014 10:45 pm

Seems like kind of a silly question to me... the two games are completely different. They really aren't even the same genre. It's kind of like asking which battle system is better between Fallout or Command & Conquer.

EDIT: This ain't exactly a new video, but I just have to say once again, I'm fucking shocked at how good the cell shading is in Guilty Gear Xrd. Absolute best cell shading I've ever seen. Granted, there's a certain benefit to the fact that the gameplay is all strictly from a side view, with actual dimension only showing up when special moves are pulled off, but even then it still looks phenomenal (just for the record, practically everything in this trailer is using in-game graphics).

phpBB [video]

It's great that in finally bringing Guilty Gear back, they've been able to do so in such spectacular fashion. Can't freakin' wait for the console release. Here's hoping for a good LE to go with it (and knowing Aksys Games, I have no doubt of that).

OL
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Fri May 16, 2014 6:41 pm

Sonikku has received a thanks from: wude
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Raithos » Sat May 17, 2014 4:18 pm

OL wrote:
It's great that in finally bringing Guilty Gear back, they've been able to do so in such spectacular fashion. Can't freakin' wait for the console release. Here's hoping for a good LE to go with it (and knowing Aksys Games, I have no doubt of that).

Yeah that does look good. Might just be the video but the action looks a little slower than I remember. Coming out this year?
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby OL » Sat May 17, 2014 5:27 pm

Should be this year, yeah, although I don't think they've actually set a date yet. I'm pretty sure (but might be wrong) that they've already got it out in arcades in Japan, so it shouldn't be much longer for the home release. From what I've read, the roster is a little small in the arcade (only 13 characters), so I'm guessing that they're adding characters before releasing it retail.
And I think the slightly slower look is just the trailer. It seems like they're just exhibiting moves, and the footage isn't actually from any all-out fights. Any time I'm just playing around in training mode in the earlier games, it always feels a little slower than an actual match, so that's probably all it is.

EDIT: Oh, and I just have to say, I love that they aren't forgetting about Guilty Gear 2: Overture with this one. So many people seemed to hate that game that I wouldn't have been surprised if Xrd just glossed over it. But I freakin loved Overture, so it's great to see characters like Sin making a cameo, and the final boss is apparently another version of Valentine.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Sat May 17, 2014 6:18 pm

So did we ever find out if Zavvi managed to force their customers to return the vita bundles they got shipped on accident?
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat May 17, 2014 6:32 pm

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/05/16/sh ... on-action/

Shining Resonance anyone? It actually doesnt look half bad, i some how doubt it will make the jump over the pond though :/
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Tue May 20, 2014 10:11 am

Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue May 20, 2014 3:43 pm

Square Enix hurry up and send out Drakengard 3 already. It's been "sitting" in their "warehouse" for dispatch for two days now and the official release date is tomorrow! Talk about cutting it fine. Ack, I want to play it now. So hyped! Just got a boatload of games (and films) from my birthday just over a week ago too, so my backlog just got a helluva lot bigger.

I need to be able to buy some time. Amazon for a fiver.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Raithos
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Tue May 20, 2014 4:06 pm

I just got it today. Pretty cool so far, though I'm a bit disappointed that it uses the Unreal graphics engine. Same old glitches and flaws as almost every other game that uses it, so it doesn't even look quite as nice as Nier.
Still it's kind of nice playing as an apparently psychopathic demigoddess.
Really nice collector's edition, too. The novella it comes with is gorgeous.

OL
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming