Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby Raithos » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 pm

Triple Triad > Blitzball

Raithos has received a thanks from: AnimeGamer183
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:55 pm

I remember playing Tetra Master on FF11 onilne, one of the only parts about FF11 that I absolutely loved.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:19 pm

All the minigames in FFVII > all the minigames in the rest of the series.
I'll take snowboarding, chocobo racing, submarine conflict, and motherfreaking motorcycle combat over Blitzball or card games any day.

OL has received a thanks from: Perfect_Chaos
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:37 pm

I think Triple Triad is the best FF mini-game, personally. Tetra Master, as far as what I can remember, was pretty broken/confusing/all around not good.

EDIT: but then again, I actually have a hard time remembering much at all about Tetra Master -- other than not liking it. I'll have to revisit the game.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:25 pm

Okay, so this looks pretty goddamn cool.

phpBB [video]

And it doesn't look like they were forced to conform to the upcoming movie in any way either (which looks great anyway), so it doesn't seem like just a cheap licensing tie-in.
Looking forward to this.

OL has received a thanks from: south carmain
OL
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:23 pm

Mad Max's universe has always seemed as one that would translate great in to a video game. From what I gather from the trailer it's a kind of mix of far cry and arkham? looks pretty cool nonetheless.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:19 pm

Thief wrote: I actually really like the way the characters interact in FFX, and I really like Tidus for some reason -- I think it has to do with the voice cast, I just really like them all.

I really liked Tidus. I think it had to do with the fact he was a fish out of water. Most great main charcaters in any medium is someone you can relate to. In most RPG's you're meant to believe the main character has never stepped foot outside his house and that's why he needs everything explained to him.

Thief wrote: Has anyone bothered to make one of these?

http://www.backloggery.com/schmeman

I kind of like it, it's nice to see what I have categorized and to give me a clear understanding of what I still have left to play. I keep most of my games in containers in my closet, so i can't always see what I have and junk.

Anybody wanna be my friend on there? Not sure how it works :P

I've just got a word document with the list of games I want to buy and ones I own and need to beat.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby SaM_4000 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:03 am

I would comment on the other Final Fantasy mini-games.

But!

I have a confession...Unfortunately, I have only played and completed Final Fantasy X in the FF series... :sad:
SaM_4000
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:30 pm

Been downloading a load of Cave shmup OSTs the past couple of days, which mainly consist of Manabu Namiki's work (who is something of a legend in the shmup music field - outside of that field, I really liked his Black Rock Shooter OST). Some of them are just soooo good, since other really ace composers like Shinji Hosoe (composer of Ridge Racer, Tekken and pretty much like half of Namco's arcade music output from the 80s and 90s) is also on them too.

Henry Spencer has received 2 thanks from: OL, Raithos
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Thief » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:55 pm

phpBB [video]

I love this video -- i've been bothered by this shit for years and he does a perfect job explaining it.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:17 pm

I've seen the scene used as the subject for gag videos (replacing his laugh with someone else's, that kind of thing) but I don't think I ever saw it used as a primary reason to bash the game...
Of course, I don't bother with half-assed opinions most of the time anyway, so maybe I've just successfully ignored the usual stupidity.
But aside from simply pointing out what the scene is... why does it need explaining? As he says over and over in the video, it's so straightforward it doesn't need explaining. So...
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:39 pm

That's precisely the point though. The scene itself shouldn't need explaining, because as you said it's so straightforward, yet it's so often taken out of context (and misunderstood) that it somehow still does need explaining.

I've seen it oftentimes used as an example to bash the game (and its voice acting), although usually among the ignorant (who haven't actually played/seen the game). Although, being a rather large fan of FFX myself, I may be more likely to encounter these situations merely because I'm more likely to find myself in discussions regarding the game.

I really liked that video for clearly and concisely pointing out the obvious -- what may not seem so obvious to some people.

Thief has received a thanks from: OL
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:44 pm

Like that cant just be a cute little scene between the 2 major love birds of the game, and expand on how their relationship got closer, how dare they put feelings and emotion in and try to do something different.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:13 am

Have to say, it feels really good seeing Kenshiro and Raoh beating the snot out of Naruto. :lol:

phpBB [video]

At first I had no interest in this game, since it looked like it was all composed of Dragonball, Naruto, Bleach, and other anime characters that I have practically no interest in whatsoever.
But then I spotted Kenshiro on the cover, and that changed almost immediately.
Fist of the North Star for the fucking win. I'm only disappointed this doesn't have other FotNS characters, like Rei or Juza.
I'll definitely get this game now.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:19 pm

Pokemon cosplay!
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming