Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby Kenny » Sat May 09, 2015 9:46 pm

I'm all for organic, but not tentacles flying around his head. In T5, they were concealed in armor so it looked like he had deadlocks like the Predator.

But the Yoshi only game sounds cool. I mean I bought Death by Degrees, so why not.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Raithos » Tue May 12, 2015 12:04 pm

They're remastering Grandia II for release on Steam. Hopefully that bodes well for the series, and Game Arts in general.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/05/12/gr ... -pc-steam/

Raithos has received a thanks from: AnimeGamer183
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Giorgio » Sat May 16, 2015 10:14 am

If you like games with 'empathy' context, then head to: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/pa ... storefront and check "Papo & Yo". - It's on special offer for the next 24 hours or so.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Kenny » Mon May 18, 2015 9:30 pm

So I'm in this team in Tekken Card Tournament and it's funny to open up the messages and see squabbles over what's essentially a little microtransaction app.

They treat it like it's the major leagues. Drafts, kicks, strategies. And in the end you just get your team's name mentioned in the daily news section. Maybe it's a big deal but for me, just playing is good enough. But man, I hate some of these cheaters running rampant.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Tue May 19, 2015 7:06 am

I know this is something most people here can't relate too, but I get serious depression from having too many things (and in this particular case, video games). I think it stems from growing up in a house that was filled with junk. My mom was a hoarder and it was hard to even invite my friends over sometimes because of all the crap. Now, as an adult, clutter really bothers me, to the extent that I'm incredibly OCD about it (and I don't mean that in the fake way, but instead, in the up all night trying to fix irrelevant things kind of way).

This isn't SO much of a psychological problem for me, since its usually an easy fix, except when it comes to video games. This is because, although I can't stand having a ton of things, I have so many fond and nostalgic memories towards different games spanning multiple consoles. If they were all on one console, it'd likely be fine, but since they're not, and they take up so much room, it's driving me crazy.

I think i've potentially solved the problem. Realistically, I'm not going to play most of the games that I have these memories for, so keeping them isn't really practical. However, there is still this urge of not wanting to let them completely go. So some games I'm giving to my brother to have, and others, which I care less about, I'm just going to sell. Cold turkey. I've sold games in the past, and haven't once felt the need to buy them back. I hold specific attachments to THE particular game (as in the disc/manual/case) I had, not necessarily the software. Once they're lost to the abyss, I just shrug them off and move on with my life. So I'm going to do that now.

I need a change, and all these videogames plague my mind like a fucking curse. I am literally growing mad from their existence and they need to go.

I've narrowed my video game collection down to 29 games over 3 consoles: the snes, ps3(psx), and dreamcast. All the rest are either going to my brother or to ebay (with instructions to my brother to never EVER let me have them back).

SNES: one retro console hooked up to my CRT
PS3: one hd console (mainly because of metal gear) to serve as blue-ray player hooked up to flat screen entertainment whatever
Dreamcast: literally only to play Shenmue at christmas time, kept with other christmas items.

I know you guys have probably heard me say things like this in the past, but it's a really big issue for me, one I struggle with all the time, even though I'm sure most normal people would just call me crazy.

Thief has received a thanks from: Raithos
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Tue May 19, 2015 10:32 am

Mind dropping me your ebay page? Can't guarantee I'd buy anything, but if I do spot something I like, I'd be happy to take it off your hands.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Tue May 19, 2015 11:10 am

Same here Thief, if you don't mind. There's bound to be something I'm interested in, we like a lot of the same games.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kenny » Tue May 19, 2015 7:36 pm

Happy to hear you're taking care of your hording problem, Thief.

Now gimmie your eBay link.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Tue May 19, 2015 7:48 pm

We sound like some damn vultures lol but its a legit request. I would rather buy games from someone on here than a random online. Especially if taking them off his hands is helpful to him. Lots of people feel overwhelmed by material things, a sense of responsibility to them if you will. A friend of mine was like that once, depressed for years. We would always go over there and find him pawing through boxes, rummaging through drawers, or rearranging books/movies on his shelves. One day he picked his ten favorite books, movies and games and then had a garage sale for the rest. He's never been happier. He buys all his media digitally now and doesn't feel suffocated by a house full of things.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kenny » Tue May 19, 2015 9:12 pm

#digitalvultures
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Tue May 19, 2015 9:55 pm

Raithos has received 2 thanks from: Kenny, OL
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Thief » Tue May 19, 2015 10:24 pm

:lol:

I'm still taking pictures and junk but I'll probably have all of it up by the end of the weekend. Listing stuff on ebay takes forever :mad:

I'll give you guys the link after that.

Thief has received 2 thanks from: OL, Raithos
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Raithos » Thu May 21, 2015 1:24 am

Raithos has received 2 thanks from: Henry Spencer, OL
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Thief » Fri May 22, 2015 4:11 am

I tried really hard this afternoon to get into Haunting Ground on the PS2, after borrowing it from my brother, but I just wasn't enjoying myself. I've always considered survival horror to be one of my favorite genres, but now that I think about it, most games in the genre flat-out annoy the shit out of me (mainly ones that make me run away constantly). I love the Resident Evil games, and subsequently Dino Crisis, and I'm also fond of Fatal Frame. Silent Hill is ok for me, but I don't really have much a desire to ever play them again.

I don't know what it is, but I don't find the gameplay all that fun in most survival horror games, with the exception of the ones I listed above. I'm still forever searching though. I really want to give The Evil Within a shot. Looks to be pretty good, but who knows?
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Fri May 22, 2015 11:43 am

^^From what I hear, The Evil Within is another case of lots of running away, so I get the feeling you might not dig it (haven't played it myself).
For me, survival horror games are rarely what I'd call "fun" from a gameplay perspective, but I usually love them anyway for the atmosphere, art design, stories, etc. Off the top of my head, I actually can't really think of any legitimate survival horror game that are much fun at all. Honestly, Resident Evil didn't become fun until RE4, and by that point the series was morphing into its modern, more action-oriented incarnation, which people claim isn't survival horror anymore. The previous game were all roaming between rooms trying to figure out which items work in which places; hardly what I'd call a blast to play. I think Fatal Frame tried to be fun, what with its twitch reflex camera operation and all, but the atmosphere and gameplay are still too focused on keeping things scary to allow for much "fun." It's just too heavy for that.
I think if a horror game allows itself to be too enjoyable, then it loses a big part of its atmosphere and edge. That's not a criticism, it's just a reality of the genre, I think. You go into it to be scared, not to have a rollicking good time. Just the same as how you watch a movie like Schindler's List to feel something, not necessarily to be entertained.

So yeah, if you mainly play games for fun, I totally understand if survival horror isn't really your thing.
That being said, Haunting Ground is a favorite of mine, but I personally tend to love games that force you to run away. It's all about the tension of the situation. Plus, Haunting Ground in particular has a great story, amazing art design (Capcom at the top of their game, really), and enough originality in its gameplay to keep it interesting (I love the dog-training mechanics, and Hewie is one of the greatest dogs in videogaming ever).
So y'know, different strokes, different folks, but I still get where you're coming from regardless.

OL has received a thanks from: Thief
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming