Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby Kenny » Sat May 30, 2015 4:29 am

Onimusha has a fixed camera system too, at least the first ones did.

That makes a HUGE difference.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby sand4fish » Sat May 30, 2015 6:20 am

I thought Tomb Raider was wonderful at the time. I don't recall another 3D character having so many fluid animations as Lara at that time and being so nimble. Hmm Maybe it is worse than I remember, or maybe I just got bad taste because I truly liked the game. On another hand, games that gave me headache were those old fps like Alien Trilogy for PS1. I seriously couldn't look up at the screen without having the feeling of throwing up.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby JMan » Sat May 30, 2015 6:43 am

OL wrote: They haven't "become" anything. The games stay exactly the same as they ever were. We're the ones that change. If you're not enjoying them now, it's not because the games are shit (they were fine back in the day), it's just because your preferences and ideas of what makes a game "good" have altered. Give it twenty years, and we might eventually be remarking about how shitty Red Dead Redemption or something is.
That being said, I'm not sure who's been telling you that TR2 is the best in the series, but that's kind of a silly sentiment to me. Personal preferences and all that, sure, but TR2 was pretty obviously kind of a hastily-churned-out sequel after the first game was so popular, and it shows. I agree with Peter though, The Last Revelation was easily the best. Been meaning to replay it actually.

Err...yes thank you, obviously the games haven't become more shitty over the years as that would indeed be stupid. I was meaning - and I thought this would be fairly obvious for everyone to understand - that for me they have "become" a bit more shitty and boring since I last played them, as in I now personally find the first three games a bit shit to play compared to years ago when I didn't in my own experience and changed opinion. Your explanation about my taste changing is clearly the reason why I now find it a bit more shit and would likely follow on from that. It was an opinion. Not a factual statement.

Dude visit any classic Tomb Raider fan site or talk to said classic fans and you'll find TR2 is highly regarded and more often than not is labelled the best in the series. Last Revelation is labelled a trainwreck by most because it didn't feature a 'Lara's Mansion' level and was all about Egypt...which is just stupid in my opinion. In fact I think the fact it features tombs from beginning to end while TR2 features almost one (the final level) makes TR4 a little more deserving of the title.

JMan has received a thanks from: OL
JMan
Master of the Three Blades

Postby OL » Sat May 30, 2015 8:18 am

No, I get that it's an opinion and all, and that's fine, obviously. People just have this way of wording them nowadays, where they make it sound like it's the game's fault.

But yeah, if people are slamming TR4 just for the fact that it doesn't have Lara's mansion, that absolutely is pretty dumb.
I don't hate TR2 or anything, but I always thought it was pretty obviously a bit lower-tier than the others. I still have a soft spot for it for nostalgic reasons, but at least I still recognize its deficiencies compared to the others.
The one thing that actually is pretty great about it though, is the Tibeten monastery level. I remember thinking it was so cool that the monks actually won't attack you if you don't attack them, but they will fight the cultists running around. It was the first time I ever came across AI like that in a game, and I remember doing one playthrough where I managed to avoid any monks getting hit by a stray shot. Hard to do because of the auto-lock-on that the old games did, but that'd probably be an achievement or a trophy if the game came out nowadays. :lol:
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby JMan » Sat May 30, 2015 9:33 am

Oh man those petty statements are definitely out there.

phpBB [video]

JMan has received a thanks from: OL
JMan

Postby OL » Sat May 30, 2015 2:37 pm

^^Jesus Christ, that guy rambles on like that for two hours?
About five seconds of listening to his "fuck"-laden droning was enough to make me want to break my headphones. But yeah, I get what you're saying now. If that's an example of the "hardcore" old-style Tomb Raider fanbase, you can count me right out of it. :lol:
I'm a fan of the old games over the new one, but thank god I've never bothered interacting with chuds like that. Talk about whiny, petty bullshit.

sand4fish wrote:By the way OL, I mean to tell you I enjoyed your YouTube channel. You got a pretty good voice. I liked specially your Time Crisis series history. It's such an overlooked gem. Have you had the chance to play the newest one? It has a dual pedal mechanic. I got to play it briefly but the ability to change cover at will to shoot the enemy's weak spot felt awesome!

Oh, thanks. Always a welcome thing, hearing that someone enjoyed any of my videos. :D
Nah, I haven't gotten to play the new one. Didn't realize it was released yet, but I was definitely looking forward to it. I'm rarely ever around arcade machines these days, so unless they release a home version, I may never get to play it. But if they do, I'll probably have to make another video just for completion's sake.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Sat May 30, 2015 3:32 pm

On the topic of your videos OL I noticed when looking up reviews for old games I often stumble across your videos without realising it. The most recent being Phantom Dust where the voice sounded familiar and it's only at the end that I realised it was your review.

south carmain has received a thanks from: OL
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat May 30, 2015 3:33 pm

Have you made a new account on there or summat? Just looked and you've only got about ten videos or summat.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby south carmain » Sat May 30, 2015 3:35 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: Have you made a new account on there or summat? Just looked and you've only got about ten videos or summat.

Go in to the videos tab. on the main page they aren't all listed.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby OL » Sat May 30, 2015 4:10 pm

I haven't put one out in over a year now. Had one about 95% done a couple months ago, but the project fucked up and I lost everything, so that put me off of things for a while. I still really, really want to make more, it's just hard to find time these days what with other shit going on and all. They take a lot of time, so I've never been all that prolific with it.
Still, I'm always looking for new subjects to tackle anyway, and I still need to finish the one that messed up before.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Giorgio » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:04 pm

"[...] as gaming technology has matured, so have the the narratives delivered within them, showing that just because “game” is in the name, doesn’t mean that real feelings and issues can’t be addressed.

These intertwined stories culminate to create a ... narrative that feels true to life. Realistic graphics and gameplay may be considered the most important part of gaming innovation by some, but making these characters feel this real is equally important.

[...] invite introspection, they bring another reality to the fore.

[...] games, like movies, books, and television programs, can deliver mature themes and stories, despite being games.

[...] if gamers continue to clamor for real meaningful content [...] gaming will move forward in the right direction."

http://www.nerdmuch.com/games/2015/05/2 ... s-strange/
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby OL » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:31 pm

There is no "right direction" for gaming. It's nice that the writer of that article wants more mature, thoughtful content in gaming, but not every game needs to be that way. Just as with movies and novels and tv shows, I want variety. And if every game out there was tackling stuff like PTSD, lesbianism, and depression, I think I'd get bored and turned off from the medium awfully quick.
Obviously gaming can tackle mature subject matter. It's been doing it for much, much longer than the writer of that article seems to realize.
But that isn't necessarily the "right" direction for the industry to follow. It's just one possibility. And as with any creative medium, the possibilities are (or at least should be) endless.

OL has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:19 pm

In the games that got you hooked topic I talked about how I love The Last of Us. It's a game that deals with topics such as loss of a loved one or sensitive subjects like rape. I'm currently playing a game where I play an octopus in a suit pretending that he is a man while buying cereal at a shop. As much as I love The Last of Us I'm glad that if I feel like it I can be stupid in video games. That's an area the medium needs to catch up with movies in that you can normally find a movie for whatever mood you're in while the majority of games still play it very straight.

Riku Rose has received 5 thanks from: Henry Spencer, Kenny, MiTT3NZ, OL, Raithos
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:28 pm

I just love how there's articles now stating that stories in games are better now than ever like the adventure game genre didn't exist in the 90s and 00s, or something. Good stories and good writing in games have always existed, if you were looking in the right areas, but if you just played action games, then that's really on you for missing out on so much. :roll:

People really show their age and tastes in games (or lack thereof) when they say silly things like that.

Henry Spencer has received 3 thanks from: Kenny, OL, Raithos
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:13 pm

Yes, yes, let's give Minesweeper a story about gender equality and turn Duke Nukem into an anti-fossil fuel pro-hippy activist who uses the power of love at demonstrations to fight right wing political bureaucrats.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming