Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby OL » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:08 pm

And the initial game is generally a full game's worth of content anyway. DLC is usually just extra shit nowadays, really. Costumes, weapons, miniature "sequels" and whatnot.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:22 pm

They're exactly what they've always been... Expansion packs. No one was never this arsed about it all til they started callin it DLC.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: OL
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Rakim » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:54 pm

Hideo Kojima started youtubing. His top 10 movies from last year:

phpBB [video]

Rakim has received 2 thanks from: Amir, FlagshipFighter
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Thief » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:40 am

I just found out that the Japanese voice actor for Naomi Hunter (of MGS) is the same voice actor as my favorite character from my favorite anime -- Madoka from Kimagure Orange Road. It's weird for me to find this sort of connection, since I already loved the English voice of Naomi so much, but it turns out I love her Japanese one too...

Here's Naomi:
phpBB [video]

Here's Madoka (bit of spoilers but the only video I could find of her talking)
phpBB [video]

I kind of want to get the Japanese version of Metal Gear Solid and play through it now... is that weird?
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:21 pm

Expansion packs and DLC are 2 totally different things. Expansion packs actually got physical releases back in the day and well we all know what DLC stands for, but its the age old digital vs physical argument there.

As for game of the year editions, I dont mind them as much because they have so much content packed in and you can get them in physical form BUT only a marginal amount of games gets this treatment sadly (also there are only a few game of the year worthy titles released every year to even consider a release of this type).

My main problem now a days is companies like to nickel and dime extra content in games and it seems like they are always scheming a new way, and this season pass business is the next thing I guess. But yeah I'll be over here playing my single player games and not giving a fuck about all this extra/side content thats available.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:25 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote:But yeah I'll be over here playing my single player games and not giving a fuck about all this extra/side content thats available.

You complain an awful lot about stuff you apparently don't care about...
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:31 pm

On the contrary I care an awful lot about gaming. Although I do find it interesting you care so much about what I'm doing, thanks buddy. ;-)
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:32 pm

Actually I kinda agree, it's a proper major capitalist business now, so it's run as such. If a DLC or expansion is something I like the look of, then I don't mind paying TBH. It's up to the user how they use it. It includes single player games too though, loads of those have quite a lot of sometimes pricey DLC extra content stuff.

I also wondered the same as you, what "season passes" were all about, since it caught my eye that on release day some games which included everything + season pass were nudging about £80! To me that's quite a lot of money, though you probably could get past that in DLC if you paid full whack each time a new one came out...
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:11 pm

I've long since followed in the footsteps of Frozen and whiteShadow personally. Gating game endings behind paid DLC, day one DLC, Paid DLC locked on disc shenanigans etc just got to be too much.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:00 pm

You say that the difference between the two is that expansion packs get physical releases, then you acknowledge the fact that DLC gets a physical release with the full fucking game in tow... Hmm... Top point you got there, pal!
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:46 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: You say that the difference between the two is that expansion packs get physical releases, then you acknowledge the fact that DLC gets a physical release with the full fucking game in tow... Hmm... Top point you got there, pal!

With some games that might be true, but its not really applicable because like I said hardly any games get a GOTY version anyway, and even back in the day when expansion packs were common, not very many games got them then either and now a days we may be getting the same amount of Expansion/DLC included physical releases like GOTY versions as back then but NOW most other games only get the new content digitally distributed anyway and just about every game has some sort of DLC now. but ultimately there are still plenty of other issues with DLC and problems like the end of the game is a DLC as Sonikku pointed out and devs getting caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

But yeah basically what SEF said, the greed that comes along with gaming going into the main stream, corporations, and policies and blah shoot me in the face now go die ea and ill shit the toilet with activision. :lol:
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:06 pm

Sonikku wrote: I've long since followed in the footsteps of Frozen and whiteShadow personally. Gating game endings behind paid DLC, day one DLC, Paid DLC locked on disc shenanigans etc just got to be too much.

This used to be my issue with it too... until I realized it almost never happens.
What instances are you thinking of? Because honestly, the only one I can think of is Asura's Wrath, where they clearly cut content from the main game in order to make it DLC. Literally, the disc version ends with "to be continued" and the DLC picks up there and ends things with a neat little bow.
In pretty much any other game I can think of -- any other game I'd actually be interested in, that is -- DLC is very, very clearly extra. Even when it's additional single-player story content, it's usually far enough removed from the main game that I can't find any way to accuse them of trimming from the main.
Watch_Dogs had Bad Blood, but it was a wholly separate character with a separate storyline. The Arkham games have all kinds of stuff, like Mr. Freeze storylines and a backstory for Barbara Gordon, but none of it has anything to do with the accompanying games' primary narratives. Dishonored had its DLC's focusing on Daud which, granted, took place during the main storyline, but they're based around a different character and are completely nonessential to the main game.
I suppose Assassin's Creed 2 might be guilty of it, with additional DLC chapters that are actually mid-story in the game's timeline, but the content is all totally supplementary and not essential to telling the main story.

I mean, if there are other instances where obvious trimming was going on, then sure, I agree that it's a shitty part of the whole idea of DLC. But I honestly haven't seen it happen enough to consider it a real problem anymore. Like Mitts said, DLC is just the new word for expansion packs. Not much different from Half-Life: Opposing Force or other such releases.

OL has received a thanks from: Raithos
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:21 pm

The only instances I can think of are all Capcom. Asura's Wrath like you mentioned, and both Street Fighter 4 and Street Fighter X Tekken launched with DLC actually on the disc. If you purchased the extra DLC it was a PSN download of literally bytes in size unlocking what was already on the disc weeks prior when you bought it on day one lol. People knew about it before the DLC was even talked about because they dug into retail copies at launch and found the files. Modded 360's were able to access it already. I personally just don't buy DLC if I'm not interested in it. I can't think of a game I own that I felt was incomplete with out it. Most DLC nowadays (with the exception of costumes and crap you know is junk in advance) seem to be worth the money. Single player DLC seems to be packed to the brim with content.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Sonikku » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:22 pm

Games like Street Fighter that have "bonus character" DLC that's locked on the day one disc (is it even DLC if you're paying just to unlock it from the DVD instead of actually downloading it?) aside, you see incomplete games on a regular basis. Take Battlefront for example. You can probably tell from one of my videos I posted that I play it a lot, but I endlessly feel cheesed off that the base package feels so stripped down compared ot BF 1 and 2 with only three maps.

If I had not gotten the game basically for free as part of an ultra cheap PS4 bundle, I would either feel ripped off, or in actual probability would simply kept my money and have never have bothered with the game in the first place. Which is too bad because I rather enjoy what meager content it shipped with even if it only feels like half a game.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Raithos » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:28 pm

I think Battlefront is a bad example though. It was talked about everywhere before it released how bare bones the contents was compared to the previous entries. Especially with the lack of a real single player mode. First BF I didn't buy lol
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming