Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby QWERTY » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:46 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: Anything with bloom lighting and a minimalist concept doesn't make it an ico knock off, this isn't even the same palette. Ico is a good early example of a lot of things, but just because a game uses one or two concepts from it that doesn't make it a knockoff. Is every platformer with a scrolling background a mario knockoff? I just mention it because people go for games like Lost in shadow and surprisingly rain for being knockoffs but they do a lot to be different especially when it comes to gameplay.

You've changed your tune. Didn't you say Mario Galaxy was essentially a rip-off of Sonic X-Treme even though they're nothing alike?
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:55 pm

QWERTY wrote:
Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: Anything with bloom lighting and a minimalist concept doesn't make it an ico knock off, this isn't even the same palette. Ico is a good early example of a lot of things, but just because a game uses one or two concepts from it that doesn't make it a knockoff. Is every platformer with a scrolling background a mario knockoff? I just mention it because people go for games like Lost in shadow and surprisingly rain for being knockoffs but they do a lot to be different especially when it comes to gameplay.

You've changed your tune. Didn't you say Mario Galaxy was essentially a rip-off of Sonic X-Treme even though they're nothing alike?

No, actually thats pretty much the opposite of what I was saying, I was saying pretty much the same thing I'm saying here, things may be similar, it isn't a ripoff like people say. Actually that whole thing popped up because I thought lost world was more like xtreme then galaxy, galaxy being a ripoff never even came up. The fact that they said later that nights was a big inspiration for lost world, to the point of including levels and bosses kind of shows that it was an idea kicking around at sega for a while. (what was the beta of Nights called again...sonic something I think)
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Bluecast » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:04 pm

Yeah NiGHTS started off in the early planning stages as a Sonic game. What was supposed to be Sonic 2 originally later became Sonic CD. What was Supposed to be Sonic 3 later became Knuckles Chaotix. Sonic 1 also had many different things going fr it at first...from a Girlfriend named Maddona in the same vein as Sonic 2006. Dr Robotnik was goig to be a protagonist to Sonic being many different animals from a bulldog to a Bunny. Many of Sonic friends started off as they were supposed to be characters in earlier games. So sonic series has always had ideas that maybe the concept was not used until later.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby OL » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:09 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:Anything with bloom lighting and a minimalist concept doesn't make it an ico knock off, this isn't even the same palette. Ico is a good early example of a lot of things, but just because a game uses one or two concepts from it that doesn't make it a knockoff. Is every platformer with a scrolling background a mario knockoff? I just mention it because people go for games like Lost in shadow and surprisingly rain for being knockoffs but they do a lot to be different especially when it comes to gameplay.

I didn't say "knockoff" even once. That automatically has negative connotations. I said "clone," which isn't a literal term; it's simply used as a means of description and/or possible inspiration, and it isn't meant as an insult in the least. As steeped in videogames as you are, I'd think you'd know that. Darksiders, for example, is a Zelda-clone. Art of Fighting, when it first came about, was a Street Fighter-clone. Saint's Row was a GTA-clone at first. These aren't insults; they're reference points to describe the games in question. The word "clone" has been used like that for years upon years in gaming circles. And yes, Rain appeared to be an Ico-clone when it was first revealed.
You reacted like I was putting Rain down, even though my post was glowingly positive.

OL has received a thanks from: Kenny
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:01 pm

OL wrote:
Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:Anything with bloom lighting and a minimalist concept doesn't make it an ico knock off, this isn't even the same palette. Ico is a good early example of a lot of things, but just because a game uses one or two concepts from it that doesn't make it a knockoff. Is every platformer with a scrolling background a mario knockoff? I just mention it because people go for games like Lost in shadow and surprisingly rain for being knockoffs but they do a lot to be different especially when it comes to gameplay.

I didn't say "knockoff" even once. That automatically has negative connotations. I said "clone," which isn't a literal term; it's simply used as a means of description and/or possible inspiration, and it isn't meant as an insult in the least. As steeped in videogames as you are, I'd think you'd know that. Darksiders, for example, is a Zelda-clone. Art of Fighting, when it first came about, was a Street Fighter-clone. Saint's Row was a GTA-clone at first. These aren't insults; they're reference points to describe the games in question. The word "clone" has been used like that for years upon years in gaming circles. And yes, Rain appeared to be an Ico-clone when it was first revealed.
You reacted like I was putting Rain down, even though my post was glowingly positive.

I understand the distinction, but you seemed negative about it before, even the first few words "This no longer looks like just an Ico-clone to me." So when it did look like an Ico clone, were you not willing to play it? If you weren't, doesn't that imply some kind of negative?

Intent aside, I don't see it as an Ico clone anyway and thats the real point I was trying to make. Just replace my "negative" sounding "knockoff" with "clone" and then answer the question.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby OL » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:08 pm

You mean whether I was willing to play it or not?
Yup, I wanted to. It just looks a lot more interesting and original to me now that I've seen legitimate gameplay.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:33 pm

OL wrote: You mean whether I was willing to play it or not?
Yup, I wanted to. It just looks a lot more interesting and original to me now that I've seen legitimate gameplay.

It was never an "ico clone" Rain has always looked like Lost in Shadow just with Rain added. Practically the only difference in video's thus far. For me personally that is fantastic. Rain maybe a more polished game than LiS. Rime on PS4 also looks fantastic.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:11 am

Rime still looks like a complete knockoff to me. It's not even making an effort to separate itself from Ico.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:18 am

So? Game still looks great and to me looks more like an exploration game with a tad of an open world. Even if the game does turn out to be a "knockoff"..if it's good then so what? Won't take anything away from team ico games.

Also looks like we went from saying Knockoffs to clones and back to knockoffs...k
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:24 am

Ryudo wrote: Also looks like we went from saying Knockoffs to clones and back to knockoffs...k

Are you somehow confused about the distinction between the two terms? I think it's been spelled out well enough already.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:29 am

say "knockoff" even once. That automatically has negative connotations.

AH ok gotcha you are judging Rime with negative connotations before it comes out just like Lost in Shadow because they are "knockoffs" even tho LiS isn't but before playing Rime we already know it is. it's not a clone....because we like clones but we hate knockoffs. Got it.

Bluecast has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:50 am

I'm judging it based on what I've seen. That's kind of all anyone can do at the moment, considering there's a whole one trailer for it out there.
You think it looks fantastic, I think it looks like a knockoff. I do believe both cases count as "judging" it before having played it. So continue to act high and mighty if you like, but you're really not doing anything different from me. One case just happens to be negative, while the other is positive.
Honestly, I'll happily change my tune if I ever see anything original come out of the project. But I'm not seeing that at this juncture, so surprise surprise... I'm not interested.

And I really don't know why you keep bringing up Lost in Shadow. I haven't even mentioned it.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:49 am

We all know ICO is just a knockoff of Out of This World anyway. ;-)

Thief has received a thanks from: OL
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:43 am

Ryudo wrote: Even if the game does turn out to be a "knockoff"..if it's good then so what? Won't take anything away from team ico games.

How is it you're able to have this view on this game but not the Devil May Cry games? Sure they share a name but you still have the old games just like you're saying Ico isn't going anywhere.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:43 am

I thought it was Sonic 4/Sonic Crackers that became Knuckles Chaotix.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming