Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby Yama » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:13 pm

I too hate the invite system, I've already experienced that with you first hand. However DR3 is the one game that makes things simple, so your criticism in that area should be praise, pushing for more titles to do the same.

As far as the online, I've put in roughly ten or more times the amount of time as you and have yet to experience a single hitch. That tells me you or your piers connection ruined your first experience, plain and simple. You didn't experience any issues during the prologue which is offline only, right?

An open world game with zero load times and hundreds of unique interiors and thousands of zombies at once will see a small blemish here or there, that much is obvious. However games that have done so much less have have failed so much more in the recent past, so I think you're being hasty here. What I said above stands, give it some more offline time or allow me to host a game so we can test the online together, I guarantee something was up and you'll have a changed mind set.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Axm » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:31 pm

Yama wrote:I too hate the invite system, I've already experienced that with you first hand. However DR3 is the one game that makes things simple, so your criticism in that area should be praise, pushing for more titles to do the same.

As far as the online, I've put in roughly ten or more times the amount of time as you and have yet to experience a single hitch. That tells me you or your piers connection ruined your first experience, plain and simple. You didn't experience any issues during the prologue which is offline only, right?

An open world game with zero load times and hundreds of unique interiors and thousands of zombies at once will see a small blemish here or there, that much is obvious. However games that have done so much less have have failed so much more in the recent past, so I think you're being hasty here. What I said above stands, give it some more offline time or allow me to host a game so we can test the online together, I guarantee something was up and you'll have a changed mind set.

I have experienced bugs offline aswell, like lost progress, kills, pick ups, level etc. Clipping, sound aswell.
But ill take your word for it as I always have and see if it gets better over time. Perhaps I have a corrupt install? I let it completely install before I started it up initially though.
In regards to the invite system, again ill take your word for it as theirs probably something I and others have missed. Perhaps Nat type 2 has something to do with it? However id doubt it because why fail half the time if it's working the other half? These kind of inconsistancies still dont excuse it for me as either a new user or experienced. We shouldnt have problems like this no matter who you are. Have you ever actually known me to complain about things like this? My stadards are pretty low and my ability to actually find bugs is aswell due to the fact I hardly found as many bugs in games comparred to my coworkers when I was in QA. One of the reasons I quit besides it being a shitty job!
But again, ill take your word for it, see if things get ironed out on my end and continue to enjoy this overall massively fun game.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Yama » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:41 pm

NAT should be open for sure, that definitely creates inconsistencies as far as communication between players.

You said it though, the game is insanely fun. I mean, I think I'll always remember that first moment when you step out of the crashed plane and there are literally like 400 or so uniquely rendered zombies at your feet. That to me was the first time I said to myself this simply wasn't possible in any shape or form last generation.

You know me, I'm one of the more critical around (in a positive sense), especially when pertaining to a series I love. I've put in so much time and have experienced little to no problems. If I had, I'd be sure to mention them in reply to your post, but it's been just the opposite. Hop online when you get the chance, have a cold so will be relaxing for most of the day.

Yama has received a thanks from: Axm
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby Axm » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:20 pm

And with that I bring everyone a video of me in an opposite experience having fun and the game working rock solid. Even invites went smoothly. Yama just has that magic touch.. and a FiOS connection doesnt hurt either. Im convinced now the game is definitely a solid performer having spent more time with it. It still has its blemishes here or there but who cares much when you can do stuff like this.

phpBB [video]

Axm has received a thanks from: Yama
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:10 pm

I wanted to get some thoughts out about the current handheld systems I own since acquiring my 3DS, now that I have both that and the Vita. So far I really like the 3DS, it seems quick and the hardware fitting for what it can do. Im still not quite sure about the control schemes for everything but the button placements and control stick and dpad seem just fine, but obviously not on par with the Vita because its missing that right control stick (anyone know if they ever released the 2nd control stick add on for the 3DS XL?). I think the screen is probably the biggest disappointment about the 3DS, you can see the squares in the screen without even trying, it looks like gameboy and nintendo handhelds have always looked but I think its time to finally update/upgrade it, the Vita screen eclipses what the 3DS has to offer and im honestly shocked nintendo went with such a low quality screen. Speaking of low quality, the 3DS general feel is kind of low quality, it looks just a little bit cheap to me (even though my gold zelda edition is still by far the sexiest model), but hey look at the 2ds. All in all in terms of raw specs and system configuration, the Vita wins. I would imagine in terms of games, library and fun factor the 3DS has the edge. I think I might still like both equally, I still need to dig into both of them a little bit more though, I havent really played much on either system.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:44 pm

I agree both systems are great. Have great games, 3DS maybe habit better if you factor in the unique exclusives it has. But you're also right about the build quality and tech comparison between the two. Vita is an amazing piece of hardware and for only $50 more than the 3DS these days it certainly makes the 3DS look bad. But not to knock the 3DS too much, it gets the job done with the games and that's why unlike my waste of time and money Wii U that I got rid of, I'll never get rid of the 3DS.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Raithos » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:55 pm

I had pretty much the same thoughts over the past week, especially about the build quality. When I hold the Vita it feels solid and just BLEEDS quality. But just opening my 3DS I feel like the hinge is going to break lol. That sound gets me every time. I'm SO glad I got it though, especially at the price. It would have been a crime NOT to get it. I can't wait to play catch up with some of the titles I missed out on. I think they both have awesome exclusives. More so on 3DS, but then again a lot of them are rehashes of things we've seen and played before. At the end of the day though the sheer power, dual analog sticks and that beautiful OLED screen makes the Vita a winner in my book. BUT we just have to remember they really are aimed at two different crowds, even though its hard not to compare them.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:16 pm

yeah my top screen is a little bit floppy cause of that hinge, and the pop it makes when you open and shut is worry-some some times.

Have you sunk your teeth into zelda yet rai? im hooked, just got through the first dungeon, and I got the new power to become the painting on the walls. I love this old school throw back. Also I might say nintendo is the master of mini-games, I just wanna put that out there as well.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:11 pm

Haven't played Zelda too much to be honest, but the hour or so I did the night I got it was awesome. I wanted to be able to devote all my time to it so I decided to finish Shadowrun first since I had just picked it up and have been messing with Mario/Starfox 64 (borrowed) on it since they can be picked up/put down easy.

Then on Sunday I made a huge mistake. I bought Persona 4 since everyone kept talking about it and it was only $20 bucks. I decided to load it up and just "see how it looks" and haven't played anything else since.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Jokatech19 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:02 pm

It sucks that because I choose not to subscribe to the increasingly intrusive generation of dying gaming, I'm going to get phased out of gaming discussion, which will consist solely of PS4 and Xbox One talk.
Jokatech19
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: AC: Revelations

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:08 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Gravity-Rush-Play ... 78&sr=1-10

Gravity Rush 9.99 on amazon right now, must buy for all vita owners, get on it now!

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: OL
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:01 am

Jokatech19 wrote: It sucks that because I choose not to subscribe to the increasingly intrusive generation of dying gaming, I'm going to get phased out of gaming discussion, which will consist solely of PS4 and Xbox One talk.

Bah, don't worry, that'll all just last for a little while. And then everyone will go back to the "new games suck" mode and start talking "retro" again. Cycles, man.
I'm nowhere near even bothering with the new consoles yet. I'm happy with my PS3 and everything that came before it right now.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:11 am

OL wrote:
Jokatech19 wrote: It sucks that because I choose not to subscribe to the increasingly intrusive generation of dying gaming, I'm going to get phased out of gaming discussion, which will consist solely of PS4 and Xbox One talk.

Bah, don't worry, that'll all just last for a little while. And then everyone will go back to the "new games suck" mode and start talking "retro" again. Cycles, man.
I'm nowhere near even bothering with the new consoles yet. I'm happy with my PS3 and everything that came before it right now.

True that, I'm sticking with mine for the long haul.

Also Devil Jin is a BEAST. I barely know a few moves and combos, but i'm already KILLING with this character.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Raithos » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:54 pm

So I backed Pier Solar HD for DC last year, and have been anxiously waiting footage/news of it since it got pushed back till March 2014. They released a video today showing some DC footage. Best part is, they developed a mini game for the VMU, looks like some sort of dungeon crawler. I CAN'T WAIT! Enjoy! :D
phpBB [video]
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bambi » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:29 pm

Bambi has received a thanks from: Axm
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming