Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby OL » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:54 am

One thing I'm noticing about the Assassin's Creed series as I go through it again is that the Assassins got kind of boring after AC Revelations. Not the concept, or the style, or anything like that... I just mean the characters themselves.
In AC3 they were nonexistent until Connor brings them back (and Connor himself was a bore anyway), and in ACIV they're a bunch of island-dwelling tribal folk with no personality or humor.
The worst thing is, these two games came right after Revelations, which features possibly my favorite Assassin in the whole series (aside from Ezio): Yusuf Tazim.

A lively, sarcastic badass who seems to laughingly enjoy his business of stabbing Templars and tossing explosives. Such a fun, likable character to have around.
They need more characters like this in the AC series. Hell, he ought to have his own game as far as I'm concerned.

OL has received a thanks from: Axm
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:54 am

I've been watching Single Player Gamer on my lunch breaks. I never noticed at the time, but you really like your Japanese games, don't you OL? Onimusha trilogy, Bushido Blade, Yakuza 4 and Ghost in the Shell..

You mentioned Onimusha was planned as a trilogy, but was that just for the PS2? I remember there being a game or the Xbox, too. Was that a port or a whole new game? I planned to buy it after seeing it on a gaming TV show :P

Crimson Ryan has received a thanks from: OL
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:36 pm

The one on xbox was like a directors cut of the first game, im not sure if its the superior version of the game or not.

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: OL
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:41 pm

Yeah, the Xbox version added a couple new things, like a new armor and an area with a floating doll enemy. Something like that. I never got around to playing it myself. Never seemed like the additions were major enough to warrant a buy, but I may have to try it one of these days just for completion, so to speak.
And yeah, it was planned as a trilogy initially, but that may have just been the jumping-pad plan for it. The trilogy was successful enough that they wanted to keep it going, so they made Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams (which is actually my favorite out of the four main entries). And just prior to that, they made Onimusha: Blade Warriors for the PS2, which was kind of a Smash Bros.-style fighting game. They also made Onimusha Tactics for the Gameboy Advance.
I still haven't gotten around to playing through Blade Warriors and Tactics, but I'll get there one day.
I still think it's weird that they haven't made any more main entries. Not sure I'd trust them with it right now anyway...

Crimson Ryan wrote:I've been watching Single Player Gamer on my lunch breaks. I never noticed at the time, but you really like your Japanese games, don't you OL? Onimusha trilogy, Bushido Blade, Yakuza 4 and Ghost in the Shell..

Yeah, it just kind of worked out that way. Never thought too hard about it when picking games to cover, but the most interesting obscurities I could think of were generally Japanese ones. Made a conscious effort to give some western coverage when I did Dead to Rights: Retribution, though. And I'm working on something western at the moment as well, though it's quite a bit less-obscure.
Thanks for watching. :)
OL
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:51 pm

The xbox version is actually the only onimusha i ever played, and it was just the very beginning cause I was bored at a friends house.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:55 pm

^^It's worth a go if you ever get the chance again. A little dated by this point (tank controls), but it's atmospheric and fun either way.

As a side-note, I accessed youtube through my friend's Tivo to look up my newer videos to see how they'd look on a proper big-screen HD tv... and I was really impressed that everything upscales so cleanly. I only watched the Stand Alone Complex video, but it amazed me how good it looked. Gonna have to try this with all the videos I upload now.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:12 pm

Bring back the older vids with the boy and the robot! The Mother's Day episode with the robot joke was almost completely lost on me until I remembered those early efforts of yours..

Crimson Ryan has received 2 thanks from: OL, Rakim
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:21 pm

:lol:
I might, if only I had some simple way of animating or something. Creating different expressions and pictures and all that just took up too much time. It'd also be good if I had someone to play the robot or something like that. My delivery is nowhere near as stiff if I'm actually talking to someone.

As a weird bit of trivia, I actually have both the boy and the robot in the intro for the Siren video. They're just in single frames during some of the crazy quick-cuts. Probably can't spot them off-hand.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:27 pm

The accuracy makes it hilarious

Yokosuka Martian has received a thanks from: OL
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby Rakim » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:40 pm

I too was a fan of the robot.

Rakim has received a thanks from: OL
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:42 pm

OL wrote: :lol:
I might, if only I had some simple way of animating or something. Creating different expressions and pictures and all that just took up too much time. It'd also be good if I had someone to play the robot or something like that. My delivery is nowhere near as stiff if I'm actually talking to someone.

As a weird bit of trivia, I actually have both the boy and the robot in the intro for the Siren video. They're just in single frames during some of the crazy quick-cuts. Probably can't spot them off-hand.

Will an English-acccent robot do?

Crimson Ryan has received a thanks from: OL
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:13 pm

:lol: Well he was to begin with, so...
Since there are a couple fans, here's some unused OL & Doyle stuff I was going to use to introduce a ninja game, but ultimately decided it was all very off-topic and pointless. In spoilers since I don't want to pull a Ryudo and take up the whole page with one image-filled post:

So, true story, back when I was in elementary school, the social studies (i.e. history) teacher split the class into groups and wanted us all to make up our own countries and, most interesting to me, create a flag to go with it.
Of course, being the boy of good taste that I was, I came up with the super-effing-awesome idea to create Ninjaland. I loved Shinobi III quite a lot.
And this would have been the super-effing-awesome flag to go with my country:

But, unfortunately, I ended up in a group composed entirely of touchy-feely hippie girls who love things like horses and Barbie.

I knew exactly what this meant: my Ninjaland idea wasn't gonna fly.
My idea was overruled in favor of something much stupider: Dolphin World.
Girls were obsessed with dolphins back then.

Not only was it touchy-feely hippie doody, but the name made no sense. Who puts "world" in the name of their country?
I was saddened by this because my idea was clearly so much better, but would never get the chance to materialize.

Thinking back on it, this memory angered me and Doyle. As you can see.

Damn touchy-feely hippie girls.

OL has received 4 thanks from: Kenny, MiTT3NZ, Rakim, south carmain
OL
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:31 pm

da fuq OL lol
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Rakim » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:34 pm

OL & Doyle is better than Calvin and Hobbes.

Rakim has received a thanks from: OL
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:50 pm

Why in the flying fuck did they not release Gran Turismo 6 on PS4 to battle it out with Forza. Im sorry but Poliphony takes entirely too long to develop one GT game. GT6 should have been post poned and upscaled to PS4 wtf is sony thinking? We'll see GT7 in about 3+ years and 2 more forza games will be out by then lol
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming