Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun May 26, 2013 3:35 pm

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Giorgio » Sun May 26, 2013 3:43 pm

Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby south carmain » Sun May 26, 2013 4:52 pm

holy shit next months PS+ titles are awesome.
Entering PS Plus in June:
29th May: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
29th May: ICO and Shadow of the Colossus HD Collection
29th May: Demon’s Souls
5th June: Rayman Origins
5th June: Coconut Dodge Revitalised

I think I will be getting the one year subscription soon. the titles recently have just been getting better and better
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Bluecast » Sun May 26, 2013 5:50 pm

Holy fucking hell. The double jump in Jak & Daxter is horrendously bad. Only people with nostalgia can forgive such horrible design. Seriously it only works 40% of the time and even then it still sucks ass. I can't deal with such a terrible flaw to the point of quitting this game. Not to mention the shit camera.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Sonikku » Sun May 26, 2013 6:28 pm

I'm having similar thoughts in regards to Final Fantasy 2 on my PSP. FF1 was a paragon of balance and fairness in comparison to this oddity. I'll be walking back and forth to get exp on the overworld, run into the same wasps and other monsters that hit for 0-1 hp damage and get cleaved in one hit with ease. Then the next thing I know I'm in a random encounter that all hit my squadmates for ten times their maximum health pools and Fleeing always fails, so I have to save constantly or risk getting a game over at he whim of the random encounter gods. The monsters are also extremely stingy with the gil. FF12 monsters were positively generous compared to these scrooges.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Samanosuke Akechi » Sun May 26, 2013 10:24 pm

This whole time I didn't know the most recent vita update gave you the option to create folders.Great for those apps that came preinstalled and can't delete.
Samanosuke Akechi
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Yama » Mon May 27, 2013 12:12 am

Samanosuke Akechi wrote:Would you recommend P3?Before I picked 4,got a few opinions to buy 3 off the psn store as well.

Yeah, I definitely would. I still prefer it to P4 in every way other than gameplay. One of my favorite titles of all time.

P2 is still the best in the series, though the gameplay is not for everyone. Very different game than P3/4, though it's unrivaled art direction, music and story make it all worth it. It's a much more challenging game to boot.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon May 27, 2013 12:36 pm

phpBB [video]

Who Really Cares? has received 3 thanks from: Axm, Brothaman, OL
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby OL » Mon May 27, 2013 1:47 pm

Ryudo wrote: Holy fucking hell. The double jump in Jak & Daxter is horrendously bad. Only people with nostalgia can forgive such horrible design. Seriously it only works 40% of the time and even then it still sucks ass. I can't deal with such a terrible flaw to the point of quitting this game. Not to mention the shit camera.

:rotflmao:
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Mon May 27, 2013 2:18 pm

OL wrote:
Ryudo wrote: Holy fucking hell. The double jump in Jak & Daxter is horrendously bad. Only people with nostalgia can forgive such horrible design. Seriously it only works 40% of the time and even then it still sucks ass. I can't deal with such a terrible flaw to the point of quitting this game. Not to mention the shit camera.

Care not to be an asshole and explain. It's not like I am the only one who says this. The double jump sucks.The buttons won't work half the time and tried 3 controllers. It's not the controller. Also there is some midpoint where you can no longer jump. Also the camera is so bad it's hard to judge a distance. So it's easy to miss a target. You just plummet. I know you named yourself after the game and love it but like it or not the truth is that's horrible design. The attack dodgy as well. You can be right next to an enemy attack first but somehow the enemy gets a hit in first. Pun in tended it's hit and miss. The game isn't as good as you want to remember it. Not saying I hate the game but it's not aged well mechanically,in fact the mechanics were flawed even then..

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011- ... cy-article

Btw your welcome for giving you credit in the Wonder Boy topic.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Kenny » Mon May 27, 2013 3:07 pm

Care not to be an asshole and be so confrontational?

The double jump from what I remember takes some getting used to. Getting the timing right to get up and even long jump. The camera is probably shit by today's standards, but I don't remember it being terrible back in the day. I remember it being just as responsive as Ratchet and Clank's.

I think Jak 3 is the best one and Jak 2 is the weakest one (somehow I felt like it could've been better). Jak 1 was very traditional but I prefer Crash 1 over it.

++++++++++++++++++

phpBB [video]
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby QWERTY » Mon May 27, 2013 3:34 pm

Ryudo wrote:
OL wrote:

Care not to be an asshole and explain. It's not like I am the only one who says this. The double jump sucks.The buttons won't work half the time and tried 3 controllers. It's not the controller. Also there is some midpoint where you can no longer jump. Also the camera is so bad it's hard to judge a distance. So it's easy to miss a target. You just plummet. I know you named yourself after the game and love it but like it or not the truth is that's horrible design. The attack dodgy as well. You can be right next to an enemy attack first but somehow the enemy gets a hit in first. Pun in tended it's hit and miss. The game isn't as good as you want to remember it. Not saying I hate the game but it's not aged well mechanically,in fact the mechanics were flawed even then..

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011- ... cy-article

Btw your welcome for giving you credit in the Wonder Boy topic.

QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon May 27, 2013 3:53 pm

Ryudo wrote:Btw your welcome for giving you credit in the Wonder Boy topic.

This was my favourite line.

MiTT3NZ has received 3 thanks from: Kenny, OL, Rakim
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby OL » Mon May 27, 2013 4:01 pm

I was partly just laughing because of the "people who like it are just being nostalgic" part. I've been branded in the past with that being my catchphrase, and yet here's my biggest accuser saying the exact same thing.
I'm really not even that nostalgic about the first Jak game anyway. Jak 2 got me interested in the series, Jak 3 is my favorite of the lot, and Jak 1 is just sort of a "good" game in my mind. Not amazing to me, but it's still really effing solid.
But I mostly just laugh about this kind of stuff when people go about blaming the game, rather than realizing that maybe -- just maybe -- they simply aren't very good at it. I've played around with Jak 1 a little more recently on the HD collection, and had absolutely no problem with the jumping. It's not much different from the double jump in Shinobi III, where you have to get to a certain point in the jump, then time the second button-press correctly to make it work. It's not badly-designed at all; it's just a matter of timing things right.
And I also find it funny how we like to champion older games for their levels of challenge, yet rag on certain ones for something as easy-to-get-used-to as an outdated camera system. People got past it back then... what's so hard about doing the same thing now?
And last but not least, I was laughing about the fact that you've called others out as being spoiled with modern graphics, for example, yet you damn certain older games as being "badly-designed" just because they don't control as smoothly as more current ones. I recall you actually being mad at Rocket Knight Adventures a ways back because it didn't have a save function. Something which most games back then didn't have. Seems to me that "graphics whores" aren't the only spoiled gamers in the world, now are they?

So, I say again: :rotflmao:
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Mon May 27, 2013 4:27 pm

Well I was used to SNES games back then and many SNES games have a save function and Genesis isn't as common. Now I am used to it all and just like I did with Dragons Trap left the console on for several days. I know it has a password system but wanted to do a straight playthrough.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming