Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby Ziming » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:45 pm

Jeff Gerstmann's Shenmue Rant (PAX East 2014)

phpBB [video]
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:59 pm

I really never understood why Shenmue reception was so divided. If you didnt like the japanese/asian setting ok, dont like the voice acting, or ryos by the books japanese/martial arts hero inspired character fine, but I think everyone must admit that its an extremely deep and complex game, absolutely littered with easter eggs and side quests and sub plots that you cant even see the entirety of in 5 play throughs for the average gamer, and the more play throughs you do, the finer the wine is. Is all that not a gamers dream game?
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Aimless Gamer » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:06 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: I really never understood why Shenmue reception was so divided. If you didnt like the japanese/asian setting ok, dont like the voice acting, or ryos by the books japanese/martial arts hero inspired character fine, but I think everyone must admit that its an extremely deep and complex game, absolutely littered with easter eggs and side quests and sub plots that you cant even see the entirety of in 5 play throughs for the average gamer, and the more play throughs you do, the finer the wine is. Is all that not a gamers dream game?

I wish most gamers only play FPS now. I dont mind FPS but its growing old.
Aimless Gamer
Master of the Three Blades

XBL: Aimless Gamer
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:09 pm

FPS has been dead for a while in my eyes. These new school gamers dont know what good is. And I dare say most are "band wagon" gamers.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Aimless Gamer » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:14 pm

It just sucks, when anything good comes out it flops if its not FPS.
Aimless Gamer

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:17 pm

Am I the only one who thought that was a quadruple post at first glance?

MiTT3NZ has received 4 thanks from: Axm, Kenny, mue 26, Segata Sanshiro Jr.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:24 pm

Just remember Aimless, im the one and only AG around here (my nick name haha). Trying to live up to my name would be quite a feat for anyone, js. :D
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Aimless Gamer » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:27 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: Am I the only one who thought that was a quadruple post at first glance?

Why? Just because i'm a aimless gamer who likes anime and hes a anime gamer whos aimless?
Aimless Gamer

Postby Aimless Gamer » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:29 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: Just remember Aimless, im the one and only AG around here (my nick name haha). Trying to live up to my name would be quite a feat for anyone, js. :D

:lol: I have used this name for everything for about 11-12 years.
Aimless Gamer

Postby Jokatech19 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:34 pm

Kenny wrote:
phpBB [video]

The shit people figure out over time.

I'm sorry, but pricks like that annoy me. Like, why tf do you play games then?
Jokatech19
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: AC: Revelations

Postby OL » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:53 pm

^^Did you mean to quote the Gerstmann video? I don't really see why people doing speedruns are pricks, so... that might make more sense.
Yeah, after seeing him rant like that, I'm glad he got canned from Gamespot over that Kane & Lynch review (whether the reasons behind that particular case were fishy or not).
Honestly, how can someone so passionately hate a game as pure and genuine as Shenmue?
I can understand not liking it for one reason or another (I'm well aware of its faults), but ranting about how shitty it is and insulting anyone who likes it... yeah, I don't really understand that.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:04 am

Seems to me like he was just messing about. If he seriously hates the game and the people who play it that much then yeah the guys a little messed up. To me it just seemed like he was playing it up in a comedic way and he couldn't honestly care about if it's made or not.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Crimson Ryan » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:27 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:I ask for emails so that I can track bugs but for the most part I have a good relationship with Itch.io, GOG and Desura if you get tired of messing with Steam you should check those out. Humble also has some good DRM free stuff though not everything is.

I understand it more from your perspective since you're an indie trying to make an honest go off games, but I see no reason why I should let Ubisoft spam me with their shit game adverts and free Assassin Creed wallpapers for my PC.

Seconded on Good Old Games, too. I've got some goodies from them in the past..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:36 pm

I put waaaaaaaay too much thought into the weapons manufacturers in "Testament".

Malik Industries is a brand in the game world, and the company was started by Yusef al-Malik. The branding on their products is a crown. This is because "al-Malik" is one of the names God takes in the Qur'an and translates to something like "King of Kings". Yusef is also named so because he spreads his influence by making a deal with a government to manufacture weapons exclusively for use by their forces.

Ahmed al-Malik, Yusef's grandson, who was considered a weapons genius of great renown felt that he was being stifled by working with only one army that already had 3 other weapons contractors. He took action and began selling weapon concepts to another country. Because the rest of Malik industries was loyal to the government they served, Ahmed was forced to leave the company and his dealings were reported. He fled to another country, then changed his name to Arthur Masters (Malik by itself means the master).

This is why some characters on one side of the conflict use MMI(Masters Military Instruments) branded guns and characters on the other side of the conflict use Malik Industries weapons.

Rangi Military Concepts, Magic City Academy of Weapons Research, and Hunter Gear are all brands in the game world with similarly long and convoluted histories.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, wude
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby wude » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:45 pm

indeed al-malik means the king, an it's one of god's names, the kingdom of god is called malakut .
words that have the suffix ut, means generally something big and magnificent like jabarut= great oppression, taaghut= the big dictator= satan, and bahamut= huge beast

wude has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: m.a.m.e

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming